Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 84 of 270
« First < 3474828384 858694134184 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
OLS 12:28 PM 03-17-2011
I smoked some steak one time, ruined it for me. I DO like a Porterhouse now and again, though. I am done
with the true T-bone steak. I am done with strips. I am done, almost, with Ribeyes. Seems the only time
I eat steak anymore is when I cut up a whole tenderloin or, ironically, when I am cutting up chuck for the
dehydrator, I will fry up a nice piece of chuck steak and groove on it. I love the flavor. Talk about opposite
ends of the spectrum.
[Reply]
wayner123 12:35 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
I smoked some steak one time, ruined it for me. I DO like a Porterhouse now and again, though. I am done
with the true T-bone steak. I am done with strips. I am done, almost, with Ribeyes. Seems the only time
I eat steak anymore is when I cut up a whole tenderloin or, ironically, when I am cutting up chuck for the
dehydrator, I will fry up a nice piece of chuck steak and groove on it. I love the flavor. Talk about opposite
ends of the spectrum.
You're really going to hate me now....

They also are running a deal on chuck eye steaks :-)

I love Rib Eye (Delmonico). However, I tend to get Porterhouse's for the family. I eat the strip side and they get the fillet, as a Porterhouse is just a T-Bone with a larger fillet. So I kill 2 birds with one steak.
[Reply]
OLS 05:50 PM 03-18-2011
Picked up some nice Butt cut steaks tonight at Kroooeger, for some reason, the intense marbling attracted me,
when it's probably not necessary in a pork steak. They had BBRs on sale for 2.97 a lb, and I got so mad yester-
day, I spent lunch going down there and they were marked at 5.99/lb. I fussed at the meat manager, with the store
manager standing right there, and he told me they would scan properly at the register. I told him, "Do you think
I am an idiot? Do you think I do not know how the scanner works on meat items like this?" I put the meat
back in the case and told him it needed to be fixed. Today I went in there and again, it was all at the old price.
So in CASE I am the bigger idiot, I scanned one and sure enough, $17.99. I was pi$$ed! So I grabbed the store manager
who ironically was standing there again, and I walked him back to the case, bit@hing all the way. He said that he
had no memory of my statements the day before, and I said, 'right, because if you did and it was still wrong, you'd
be negligent, of course you're gonna say that." "This meat is at the wrong price even after I threw a fit, and now
I have wasted two lunch hours in a row on this BS. I'd like it fixed now, while I am standing here". So he called the
meat manager and I went in the back and watched him fix 40 racks of ribs. Then after all that, I started to
walk out, and he said "Wait, aren't you gonna buy some ribs?" And I said, "No, I am out of lunch hour now,
and I am not sure I am ever coming back. This is not just BS, it's a serious lack of ethics on behalf of
the whole chain and an insult to my intelligence. I was lied to twice in two days, besides.

Hell I have a freezer full of slabs, and a better Kroooeger store down the street.

OH, I am smoking 40 wings....and in the morning, 2 slabs of BBRs. And yes, pics tonight.
[Reply]
Scothew 06:41 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
If there is anything better than bacon it is homemade bacon.
Attachment 8984

I just pulled one half of the belly from the hog I had butchered last week. The other half will come off in about 15 minutes.

I went old school on this batch and just did a salt cure and used applewood for the smoke.

I'll be eatin'' low on the hog this weekend!!!
You are my hero. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:19 PM 03-18-2011
Brad, you're posts always bring a smile to my face after reading them. Keep up the good work. :-)

Mmm, smoked wings.

I might be smoking some fresh Michigan lake trout this weekend. Depends on how much it costs at the market tomorrow. Did some whitefish last week. Turned out great, especially the two filets I hit with some cayenne.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:22 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
I just did salt... nothing else!! I love it that way. I just finished slicing it up and had to fry up a couple of scraps. Dang it is good.

I guess I never get too fancy with bacon. I usually use maple syrup or sugar in the raw, but this time I just wanted straight up bacon.

One of my favorites though is to use paprika, sugar in the raw, a good bit of cayenne pepper, and a little cumin. It sure wakes up a day!!!
I've never had good luck with maple syrup. At least it doesn't really add any maple flavor that I can taste.

When you do the paprika, sugar, cayenne and cumin, is that in the cure or do you rub it on before putting in the smoker?
[Reply]
OLS 07:32 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I might be smoking some fresh Michigan lake trout this weekend. Depends on how much it costs at the market tomorrow.
Haha, NO YOUR'S do. I am reading this first sentence, picturing you out with your waders on and your fly rod and your creel,
smoking a La Gloria Cubana MdONo1, enjoying the good life, catching your supper.

And then you say, depends on how much it is at the store, LOLOLOLOLOL:-)

OK, here are the wings in progress and in the pan. Smoked for two hours and then finished
over hot coals to make them palatable. I love crispy skin. At the top of the last pic, you
can see those delicious beef ribs, cut across the grain. delicious, but then you tend to get
a lot of that bone chipping that is not a good surprise. Only cooked half the wings, cause my
beer bud said he was not coming.
Attached: smoked wings 1.jpg (84.5 KB) smokingwings2.jpg (108.2 KB) smoking wiings.jpg (113.4 KB) 
[Reply]
OLS 07:43 PM 03-18-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Did some whitefish last week. Turned out great, especially the two filets I hit with some cayenne.
Cayenne pepper fixes EVERTHING that''s wrong with fish. Something about that totally clean
slate that fish is on the inside. It's got a flavor, and it's round, yet kind of blank. C.P. just
WAKES it up so brightly. Makes any lemon used also POP.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:44 PM 03-18-2011
Oh believe me. I"d love to be out doing that exact thing. But sometimes you have to go with the flow. There's a new vendor at Detroit's Eastern Market that is selling fish caught in the Great Lakes. She's just getting going and has a limited selection. But as the seasons open, she'll be getting more. Can't wait for fresh yellow perch.

Those wings look f*&kin good. Now you got me wanting to make some.
[Reply]
T.G 07:59 PM 03-18-2011
Great story Brad and great looking food too.
[Reply]
OLS 11:54 AM 03-20-2011
Another day of slaving produced this deallie-o. the other dozen or so wings, 2 racks of backs and
8 burgers. Wings and ribs were smoked for 2.5 hours, the ribs were then foiled and the wings
taken over a high heat to sizzle em up. NOTHING is less palatable than smoked chicken skin.
So I just BBQ them after they are done and they are freaking fantastic.

As seen in one of the pics, i am firing up the holy grail of cheap smokes, a 98 Punch Corona.
MMMmmmm, good!!
Attached: mar20babybacks cu1.jpg (118.0 KB) mar20chickenwings1.jpg (109.7 KB) mar20chickenwings2.jpg (103.8 KB) mar20 chickenwing crispedcu.jpg (113.2 KB) mar20chickenwingssmokednready.jpg (109.1 KB) 
[Reply]
T.G 12:18 PM 03-20-2011
Nice looking stuff there Brad.

Only thing in my smoker right now is rain water :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:53 PM 03-20-2011
Well, that settles it. I have a small chicken thawing that I wasn't sure how to prepare. It's going on the grill.

Those pics are awesome Brad. Especially the ones of the wings with the wisps of smoke.
[Reply]
OLS 02:45 PM 03-20-2011
Man I tell you, I am a dry rib kind of cat, and I was torn today. Do I smoke em up dry and sear em good in their own fat,
or slather em with sauce and leave em. To me, this Sweet Baby Ray's is so good I just can't bear to caramelize it. It would
get all gummed up and wasted on the grill grates. So I just left em sauced and cooked to a T. I guess I just didn't want to
lose half of the sauce to the grill grate. Sauce like that really should get caramelized, though...I just couldn't do it.
Next time.

I like the idea of a chicken done like that, Chainsaw, are you going to smoke it first or just plain grill it?? I have NEVER tasted
chicken so delicious, but it takes some time to smoke it first. And even then, only the skin REALLY gets smoked. You get a
little smoke in the meat, but not too much.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 03:15 PM 03-20-2011
Well, had to go with plan B. No propane and the store's not open to refill. So into a hot oven they go. I'll sauce them up and crank on the broiler.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:50 AM 03-21-2011
Great lookin' grub there Brad.

I smoked up (2) 7 lb. Pork Shoulders in one of the nastiest storms ever, over the weekend. Pouring rain and 30-50 mph wind. Came out great though. I will post pics later.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:47 AM 03-23-2011
I rubbed these guys down last Sat morning. They went in the smoker Sat evening around 4pm @ 210*. They were done just before Church on Sunday at 9am w/ an I.T of 203*. F.T.C. for a couple of hours while at Church and they pulled perfectly. 1 was turned into BBQ Pulled and the other will be used for Carnitas. :-) Sorry, no pics after pulling.:-)

After the Rub of Love.

Just before F.T.C.

[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:41 AM 03-23-2011
:-)
[Reply]
OLS 11:05 AM 03-23-2011
Hubba Freaking hubba. I am pulling my pork, now.
[Reply]
BigAsh 03:57 PM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Hubba Freaking hubba. I am pulling my pork, now.
gotta agree! :-)
[Reply]
Page 84 of 270
« First < 3474828384 858694134184 > Last »
Up