Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>i just got the new vinotemp humidor. now what?
backthen102589 03:04 AM 10-29-2010
i got the vinotemp humidor in.
i turned it on and set at 66.
i dont know if it needs a season
i bought a xikar crystal 100 cigar humidifier disc.
should i use beads instead of the disc?
[Reply]
Tashaz 03:35 AM 10-29-2010
I run mine with beads. Another suggestion is that unless it's really hot outside the Vino, turn the temp setting as high as you can, ie 68 or 69. The less it cycles the more stable the RH will be. You cannot season plastic BTW. Which model may I ask?
[Reply]
waffle 08:00 AM 10-29-2010
welcome and there are tons of suggestions on setting up a vinodor... I don't personally own one however, I suggest beads either HCM (shilala) or HeartFelt. Both have their pluses and minuses and if you ask which ones to use, you'll get a split on it.... Also, are you planning on getting cedar shelves and/or drawers. If you do, those will need to be seasoned, but like mentioned above, the plastic can't be seasoned... I would suggest leaving the door sitting open for a while to clear the plastic smell right on out.

Oh and stop by the New Initiate section and introduce yourself!!
[Reply]
Tashaz 08:34 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by waffle:
welcome and there are tons of suggestions on setting up a vinodor... I don't personally own one however, I suggest beads either HCM (shilala) or HeartFelt. Both have their pluses and minuses and if you ask which ones to use, you'll get a split on it.... Also, are you planning on getting cedar shelves and/or drawers. If you do, those will need to be seasoned, but like mentioned above, the plastic can't be seasoned... I would suggest leaving the door sitting open for a while to clear the plastic smell right on out.

Oh and stop by the New Initiate section and introduce yourself!!
Yep, he covered it better. LOL. :-)
[Reply]
G G 08:46 AM 10-29-2010
If your not getting cedar shelves or drawers i would suggest empty cedar cigar boxes until you get some.
[Reply]
neoflex 08:52 AM 10-29-2010
Is it one of the cabinets made by Vino Temp? If so and if it is one of the cabinets lined with cedar inside and cedar shelving I would let it acclimate for a week or so before introducing your sticks. If its a fridge that you converted I would just do what has already been suggested.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 09:25 AM 10-29-2010
Well start filling it to overcapacity immediately silly. :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 10:56 AM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by backthen102589:
Well, you will certainly need something other than the disc. The xikar discs are for small humidors 100-150 ct's... your Vinotemp can hold a good 500 cigars or more. Plus the space inside is much greater than a 150 ct humidor.

I suppose the general answer you will get around here is to use beads, although personally I don't like them. For that much space tho, beads might end up being the only "cheap" way unless you go with an active system like a Cigar Oasis.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:09 AM 10-29-2010
Please take a moment to tell us a little about yourself in the Introduction thread.

You should not need to power your Vinotemp in the winter. Leaving it unplugged will solve the problem of Rh swings as it cycles.

For a 28 bottle Vinotemp I use 1lb of 65% Heartfelt Beads split into two bags.

Cedar drawers and shelves are nice accessories but totally unnecessary. I bought some for my first Vino, but for my second I just use the wire shelves.

If you can get empty boxes from your local shop this will help maintain your Rh at a steady level. You can use them to store singles until you fill it up with full boxes! :-)
[Reply]
backthen102589 02:35 PM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by Tashaz:
I run mine with beads. Another suggestion is that unless it's really hot outside the Vino, turn the temp setting as high as you can, ie 68 or 69. The less it cycles the more stable the RH will be. You cannot season plastic BTW. Which model may I ask?
i got the one just for the cigars. it not a wine cabnet. i would send u a link but im using my phone. u can see it on the web site
[Reply]
neoflex 02:40 PM 10-29-2010
Had a feeling he may be talking about one of these and not the typical Vino/Edgestar type.
http://www.vinotemp.com/Browse.aspx/421/Cabinets
[Reply]
Bill86 03:56 PM 10-29-2010
i got the one just for the cigars. it not a wine cabnet. i would send u a link but im using my phone. u can see it on the web site
i got the vinotemp humidor in.
i turned it on and set at 66.
i dont know if it needs a season
What I'm getting out of your posts and from what everyone else said I'm a bit confused.

First off it seems like you got a vinotemp wooden humidor and not a wine refrigerator. You'll definitely need to season it if this is the case and you will want beads as your humidification.

According to the link neoflex posted your humidor is quite large. It would really help if you can give us the EXACT humidor you own. Or you could go to http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp and calculate how much beads you need based on L x W x H dimensions of your humidor. You can order them from there or shilala's site as well, which I don't have the link for but I'm sure if you wanted someone here could post a link.
[Reply]
backthen102589 12:05 AM 10-30-2010
sorry about confusing yall, i got this humidor.
http://www.vinotemp.com/View.aspx/29...ectric-Humidor
:-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 12:33 AM 10-30-2010
sorry about confusing yall, i got this humidor.
http://www.vinotemp.com/View.aspx/29...ectric-Humidor
:-)
Never seen that before... Well, it has cedar trays, but hard to see if it is cedar lined, either way, you should season it.

You can certainly use the Xikar Puck you already have once you add your cigars.
[Reply]
backthen102589 01:34 AM 10-30-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Never seen that before... Well, it has cedar trays, but hard to see if it is cedar lined, either way, you should season it.

You can certainly use the Xikar Puck you already have once you add your cigars.
its not ceder lined, should season it anyway?
its telling me its 65% humidity, should i shot for 70%?
[Reply]
mariogolbee 01:40 AM 10-30-2010
its not ceder lined, should season it anyway?
its telling me its 65% humidity, should i shot for 70%?
If you season anything it will be the cedar tray. I season but it's a matter of preference to many. If you choose to season it then don't overdo it.

65% is fine. Humidity is also a matter of preference. Some keep there humis at 55% and some at over 70%. I like mine around 65%.
[Reply]
E.J. 08:44 AM 10-30-2010
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
I like mine around 65%.
[Reply]
backthen102589 12:05 PM 10-30-2010
the tray inside the humi is wood but it has a clear protectant on it. i dont know if its ceder:-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 12:35 AM 10-31-2010
the tray inside the humi is wood but it has a clear protectant on it. i dont know if its ceder:-)
So it shines? Weird... I would try to season anyway, just to be sure... TBH, I didn't even know Vinotemp made cigar humidors. This is completely new to me lol.
[Reply]
backthen102589 01:32 AM 10-31-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
So it shines? Weird... I would try to season anyway, just to be sure... TBH, I didn't even know Vinotemp made cigar humidors. This is completely new to me lol.
i dont think the tray is ceder. should i put the cigars that i want to age in ceder boxes?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up