Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Moisture Sensor for Humidors
timberham 10:03 AM 10-27-2010
Hello all!

I do not mean to post to this forum with unwanted spam. My name is Tim Hamerly and I am a senior working on a thesis project in which I have developed a moisture sensor that could be implemented into the humidors. I am currently in the process of doing market research, as you may have guessed.

If you have just a few minutes to fill out this survey, it would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I do not mean to post this as spam. I am truly trying to develop this product and could really use your help to determine if this product is worth while to the smoking community.

Any questions or concerns can be sent to my email address; thamerly@carthage.edu, and I will address them as soon as possible. Any advice can also be submitted to me through email and would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you for all your help!

Link to survey:

https://spreadsheets...La3AtLTloNHc6MA
688sonarmen 10:28 AM 10-27-2010
I think this has been done before and is called a hydrometer. Also the link does not work.
icehog3 10:42 AM 10-27-2010
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen:
the link does not work.
Yuppers.
Nefari0us 10:46 AM 10-27-2010
I think this has been done before and is called a hygrometer. Also the link does not work.
Fixed it for ya :-)
688sonarmen 10:55 AM 10-27-2010
Originally Posted by Nefari0us:
Fixed it for ya :-)
Screw 60-70% humidity, I just dunk them in water. Hydrometer:-)
Subvet642 11:55 AM 10-27-2010
Screw 60-70% humidity, I just dunk them in water. Hydrometer:-)
And that oil you see on the wrapper is diesel. :-)
LostAbbott 12:02 PM 10-27-2010
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
I prefer natural gas. It gives me a cleaner burn.:-)
T.G 12:07 PM 10-27-2010
:-):-):-):-)
hotreds 03:43 PM 10-27-2010
I think this has been done before and is called a hydrometer. Also the link does not work.
No point in re-inventing the wheel, methinks......
wayner123 07:38 AM 10-28-2010
If this is truly NOT spam, there are various ways of measuring moisture. If he is trying to make a more accessible vapor pressure deficit (VPD) meter, then that would be great.
688sonarmen 07:45 AM 10-28-2010
He could be making moisture sensing cheese for all we know.
Subvet642 09:02 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
If this is truly NOT spam, there are various ways of measuring moisture. If he is trying to make a more accessible vapor pressure deficit (VPD) meter, then that would be great.
You're wicked smaht! :-)
688sonarmen 09:33 AM 10-28-2010
You're wicked smaht! :-)
Yeah, sounds like nuc talk:-)
Subvet642 09:37 AM 10-28-2010
Yeah, sounds like nuc talk:-)
Hard to tell; I don't speak nuc. :-) :-)
timberham 03:41 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
This is NOT spam and yes I am trying to make a new meter, although I was unaware of the hydrometer. This device could also double as a moisture release device and slowly release moisture into the air AND warn you when it gets low. This would be an extremely cheap device to make as well, which is my other selling point.

Thanks for all the input everyone, is the link still not working by the way? If it isn't, here it is again.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/embe...a3AtLTloNHc6MA
longknocker 03:47 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by timberham:
This is NOT spam and yes I am trying to make a new meter, although I was unaware of the hydrometer. This device could also double as a moisture release device and slowly release moisture into the air AND warn you when it gets low. This would be an extremely cheap device to make as well, which is my other selling point.

Thanks for all the input everyone, is the link still not working by the way? If it isn't, here it is again.

Working! Input Sent!:-)
Nefari0us 03:53 PM 10-28-2010
Input sent as well!
bobarian 04:00 PM 10-28-2010
I dont see how your product would be any different than a hygrometer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrometer If you are planning on an active humidification device, this has been done before also. See Cigar Oasis, Moist-N-Aire, Humidification beads or Propylene Glycol. :-)
T.G 04:04 PM 10-28-2010
This is NOT spam and yes I am trying to make a new meter, although I was unaware of the hydrometer.

Hydrometer (with a "d") tests the specific gravity of a fluid - for example, the bulb tester with the floating balls to check your automotive coolant mixture or one for testing. Sometimes they show lab grade versions of them in a quick flash as part of a wine or beer company commercial (I think I've seen them used in some Sam Adams and EJ Gallo commercials). It really wouldn't be much use to a cigar humidor unless it was filled with water.

A hygrometer (with a "g") measures the relative humidity.

This is NOT spam and yes I am trying to make a new meter... This device could also double as a moisture release device and slowly release moisture into the air AND warn you when it gets low. This would be an extremely cheap device to make as well, which is my other selling point.
I already have one of those. It's called an active humidifier. Some of the companies that already manufacture and/or market them: Cigar Oasis, Hydra, Humi-Care, Habitat Monitor, Bob Stabell's Set-n-Forget, etc.

They can be had for about $60 and up depending on the manufacturer IIRC.

It's working now, your original post had a truncated link. Thanks.
timberham 04:05 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Working! Input Sent!:-)
Thanks!
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up