Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Avallo Humidors
AdamJoshua 12:35 PM 05-22-2019
Yah box is here, Avallo 2000 with set and forget humility system, got it unpacked, wrestled it in, .... kind of pissed off at the "craftsmanship". For a box that took a couple extra months, there corners cut on this are really bumming me out. Overall it's a nice box, some of the stuff is a bit cheesy compared to Aristocrat, things like the water containers that are just plastic quart or so containers he chopped up with a box cutter and stuck a small computer fan on the top of, but that's not horrible just a difference I noticed.

It came well protected in shipping and packing so that's a good thing!

The two things that I'm actually upset about are the job that was done in staining the box and the "lock".

From a distance as long as you don't look at the stain job on the top and side ... it's gorgeous LOL

The stain job is, to me, for something I paid 1800 dollars for, complete crap, it's not hard to stain wood when you take months and months. See below

You can actually see that from across the room, there is a lighter uneven stripe showing.

The "seal" he uses is the cheapest crap you can buy and will soon be replaced by the foam weather stripping that bob used, I'll have to find some really thin stuff to make sure it works with the door and magnets, but again, really?

Then the lock which when you lock the box, the door is actually a bit loose, it's not a tight "lock" and there isn't much you can do about it because there isn't locking hardware on the wall, there is just a groove cut, so it' is what it is. Maybe the new weather stripping will help with that.

Over all for a 2 month or whatever delay and $1800 I would probably look elsewhere. Maybe I'm being picky but having had an aristocrat to compare this is sorely lacking in the craftsmanship and for the price too many corners were cut .. .or unstained and his lack of communication and when he does communicate well he came through on zero of the promises he made.

Happy to have a new box and finally get stuff out of the cooler, but the next one will come from somewhere else.
[Reply]
elderboy02 12:39 PM 05-22-2019
Yeah, I would be ticked off if I paid $1800 for that. So glad I have my Aristocrat. Thanks for posting. I will never buy from Avallo.
[Reply]
The Poet 12:42 PM 05-22-2019
Sorry for your disappointment, broh. Hope you can make it work OK for you.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:54 PM 05-22-2019
Wow, that would tick me off too. Way too much money for questionable craftsmanship.
[Reply]
BigAsh 01:36 PM 05-22-2019
Yea, yea yea.....But....at least Rask is standing on his head!! (Glass half full moment!!)

the veteran netminder is sporting a .942 save percentage with a 1.84 goals against average this postseason, making him the current favorite to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as the MVP of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

JUst squint when you look at it, or lower the lights...if it holds humidity well you'll be happy!!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 01:49 PM 05-22-2019
The door is actually a bit uneven too ... lol I feel like kicking myself in the nuts, not sure how that would work but yah. lol
[Reply]
elderboy02 01:52 PM 05-22-2019
From the website: "Avallo Humidors offers a 2 year guarantee on all its products. Call for more info."

Call them and tell them you are unhappy and want something to be done about it.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 01:57 PM 05-22-2019
I was going to post some good stuff just now, like solid build and the set and forget system is easier to use than Bob's that I always found a bit cryptic ... then i noticed this in the light...

https://i.imgur.com/C4IfvYa.jpg
[Reply]
The Poet 02:01 PM 05-22-2019
Well there's your answer . . . turn off the lights.
[Reply]
elderboy02 02:06 PM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by The Poet:
:-) :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:34 PM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by The Poet:
You laugh but I’m moving to more of a corner away from lights.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:20 PM 05-22-2019
Talked to Matt at Avallo, he said he's not Bob and doesn't build that quality box, etc., I said we needed to talk about a discounted price or have someone pick it up. He was fine either way and we came to an agreement for a discount. Now I'll look for someone that can restain it and see about shimming up the door or just moving the hinges so it's straight.
[Reply]
icehog3 06:57 PM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Talked to Matt at Avallo, he said he's not Bob and doesn't build that quality box, etc.
Well, if I ever considered giving Avallo a try, that changed my mind for good.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 07:29 PM 05-22-2019
Sorry to read that, Adam. You expect a certain level of quality for that money.
[Reply]
markem 07:35 PM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
Sorry to read that, Adam. You expect a certain level of quality for that money.
Reminds me of this post

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...9&postcount=12
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:40 PM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Well, if I ever considered giving Avallo a try, that changed my mind for good.
Yep. Dude sounds like a scumbag
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:29 AM 05-23-2019
Sorry to hear about this, Adam. I hope you are able to get your humidor fixed up so that it's useful and some thing that you are happy with.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:07 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by markem:
Reminds me of this post

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...9&postcount=12
Well Avallo is definitely not claiming to be a fine furniture maker, he's more about the electronics of it and building the boxes to fill a void (with cash) that opened when Bob shut down.

In the end gave me a decent discount, I can find someone local to re-stain and fix the door. I'm over it, it is what it is.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:42 AM 05-25-2019
Holding humidity fine and that's really what matters.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:21 PM 05-25-2019
$237
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up