Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>where in the world is pipe smoking most common?
petewho 04:44 PM 02-04-2009
Anyone have any thoughts, guesses, ideas? I was looking over the pipes I own and where they're made: Italy, Greece, Ireland, England, France, and Denmark... Quite a variety. Got me to wondering about this.

Is there any part of the world where pipe smoking is relatively common? Like you'd walk down a street and see someone smoking a pipe? Since I got on the pipe slope back around September I have been keeping my eyes open and haven't seen a single person smoking a pipe (aside from at the smoke shop, or friends of mine).

Thoughts?
[Reply]
ghe 05:21 PM 02-04-2009
Great question. I really look forward to the responses. I did read on the site of a major tobacco company that has a line of pipe tobacco that pipe tobacco accounts for about 1 percent of the tobacco smoked worldwide.
[Reply]
WWhermit 06:24 PM 02-04-2009
Italy, though less common than in the past. Still, it's common to see many people walking around through town on a Sunday afternoon smoking a pipe.

WWhermit
:-)
[Reply]
Nick 06:34 PM 02-04-2009
I would guess Italy. It seems to be the most logical.
[Reply]
BigFrank 07:02 PM 02-04-2009
My guess would be England. I constantly see jokes and off key humor made about the english and their pipes.

Dub may need to be alerted to this for his experience!
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:12 PM 02-04-2009
I would guess Turkey.
I'm sticking with it.
[Reply]
morefifemusic 08:27 PM 02-04-2009
I think it is safe to rule out the US, with our anti-smoking laws and demonetization of pipes and cigars.

Now 50+ years ago, that may have been a different story.

Most common, my vote goes for anywhere on the island of Great Britan and/or Italy.
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:34 PM 02-04-2009
i say ireland....dunno why but that is my guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
ghe 09:18 PM 02-04-2009
Ireland and England both now have very restrictive anti-smoking laws enacted in the past few years. Have they had an impact?
[Reply]
jgros001 09:43 PM 02-04-2009
Been to Italy, Scotland, France, Germany and Amsterdam among others and the only place I had seen/noticed pipe smoking in public was Germany. They walk and smoke pipes a plenty over there.
[Reply]
Curly Cut 10:52 PM 02-04-2009
they even ride bikes and smoke pipes (i have a photos somewhere to prove it).
[Reply]
Professor Mike 07:55 AM 02-05-2009
My guess would br Sicily or Sardina.:-)

Mike
[Reply]
kayak_rat 08:12 AM 02-05-2009
There is a neat article about the beginnings of tobacco in this quaters Smoke magazine. Talked about how europe drifted towards the pipe, Except for Spain. They talked about how Spain is mainly cigar country, but England, France, etc were more pipe with cigars mixed in.
[Reply]
poker 08:17 AM 02-05-2009
With my trips to Europe I've never seen more pipe smoking than when in my trips to Switzerland. From folks in their teens all the way up.
Could be more in other countries, but that was one thing I took notice of and remembered.
[Reply]
Slow Triathlete 08:30 AM 02-05-2009
I know that New Zealand and Austrailia are out. It was all I could do to find some cigars when I was there.

Japan is a huge cigarette smoking country but I haven't been there since I smoked a pipe or cigars so there may be a ton of them there. They were pretty free with their smoking laws the last time that I was there.
[Reply]
MiloFinch 09:20 PM 02-06-2009
You see, I would have thought it would Denmark or somewhere in Scandinavia. Maybe somewhere in Eastern Europe? Just my guess though.
[Reply]
Up