Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>La Flor Dominicana salomon
Don Fernando 05:55 AM 02-19-2010
This La Flor Dominicana had been sitting in my humidor for a while and after seeing it make the number 13 on Cigar Aficionado's top 25 of 2009 I could not wait any longer and decided to light this beautiful cigar.

This 7 x 64 salomon is made from vintage Dominican tobacco, grown at the La Cunela farm in 2004 and 2005 and finished with a beautiful oily Nicaraguan Habano wrapper which looks tough due to some nice veins. The construction feels a bit hard but the predraw is just fine. I could taste peppers, black pepper and red pepper. The cigar has a nice barnyard aroma, not too heavy.

I can taste pepper with some wood, but mostly pepper, a lot of pepper, green and black pepper. After almost an inch I get a little bit more wood and just a tiny hint of chocolate. The pepper gets a bit milder at the same time.

A bit further the pepper mellows out and almost disappears towards the 2 inch mark. The wood that I mentioned before is now the dominant flavor with just a little bit of pepper and even later with some chocolate after the pepper disappears.

After a third the chocolate grows a bit in strength but remains the support flavor for the wood. At 2/3rd the chocolate disappears and the cigar gets a bit salty. Towards the end, the salt disappears and the chocolate returns on the background.

The draw is fine and the cigar gives me lots of white, medium thick, smoke. As always with figurado's, I had some problems with the burning at the beginning but the cigar corrects itself. The ash is light colored, firm but frayed. This cigar is full bodied and full flavored. It gave me a huge vitamin N overdose. This sigar is not for the faint hearted.

Would I buy this cigar again? Yes. I can understand why they made Cigar Aficionado's top 25.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:28 AM 02-19-2010
Nice review. I love this cigar.
[Reply]
G G 06:58 AM 02-19-2010
Great review Ferdieloon.:-)
[Reply]
Scottw 07:14 AM 02-19-2010
Good review Ferdie!
[Reply]
issues 07:15 AM 02-19-2010
Thanks for the review! :-)

I have one of these sitting in my humidor as well but I am trying to wait until the end of the year before I burn it...

:-)
[Reply]
captain53 07:25 AM 02-19-2010
Thanks for the review. I love Salomon and LFD and have been thinking about a few of these for the collection.:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:33 AM 02-19-2010
Another fine review Ferdie. Sitting on one of these. :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 09:02 AM 02-19-2010
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Sitting on one of these. :-)
out of chairs Mac?
[Reply]
silentjon 10:55 AM 02-19-2010
I have one resting for some time - maybe it's time to smoke it. :-)
[Reply]
danreeve 12:57 PM 02-19-2010
great review!
[Reply]
Aldebaran 04:09 PM 02-19-2010
That is one sexy cigar

Nice review
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 04:38 PM 02-19-2010
Ferdinand, thanks for the review and pic's my friend!
[Reply]
weak_link 04:54 PM 02-19-2010
My girlman self is affraid of these. Nice review!
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 05:23 PM 02-19-2010
right on, don! that's a man's cigar. :-)
[Reply]
Goldie 06:45 PM 02-19-2010
Nice review as always Ferdie. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hate to say, but I was not really impressed with the one that I had. It wasn't bad I suppose, but I just expected more from a $25+ cigar. It was definitely a nice long smoke though.
[Reply]
elemental13 04:09 PM 02-21-2010
Thanks for the review because I have been wanting to try this cigar and have heard great reviews from the laflor rep and my local b&m won't get them in because he says there too expensive to be sitting around and I have tried to order boxes before and it take him forever so o guess ill just have to find another shop to getg them from
[Reply]
Chris. 04:21 PM 02-21-2010
I saw this and almost bought it but when I saw they wanted over $20 for it, I quickly changed my mind.thanks for the review!

Originally Posted by elemental13:
Thanks for the review because I have been wanting to try this cigar and have heard great reviews from the laflor rep and my local b&m won't get them in because he says there too expensive to be sitting around and I have tried to order boxes before and it take him forever so o guess ill just have to find another shop to getg them from
www.texcigars.com has then for $223. I've ordered from them before and they are quick to ship and deliver.
[Reply]
Up