Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 21 of 60
« First < 11192021 222331 > Last »
Sports>Being a Hockey Parent
ahc4353 06:01 PM 05-19-2011
At 11 or 12 or whatever they are bigger, stronger, faster. They have watched the older boys and pro's and can't wait to start checking. The problem is they don't know the first thing about giving a check or more importantly how to take, absorb or avoid one. For years they play with no knowledge of what checking is like then one day Johnny comes across the blue line with his head down and gets plastered by some big kid going 100 miles an hour just looking to clean his clock because he's waited years to do it. If they are taught early it wouldn't be such a "big deal" it would be just part of the game that they have learned like skating and stick handling.

Now, I'll open an even bigger can of worms, fighting. I think fighting should be taught as well, not so much the hitting but how to protect yourself. Kids that are talented can play at the Jr. level at sixteen playing against guys that are 20-21. Your kid is gonna fight if he wants to or not, it's going to happen. A sixteen year old getting his helmet ripped off and hammered by a 20 year old is not a pretty site. I had the boys work with a close friend that played for Boston College and played semi-pro on how to keep their balance, where to grab, how to clutch, how to fall, what to look for as far as what hand is going to be thrown etc. All in an effort to protect them from getting their a$$ handed to them. Mitch's first real fight was against a 20 year old and he was sixteen. He held his own, got in a couple and I would have called it a draw (I'm his dad :-)). The point is he didn't get killed because he knew the basics of how to protect himself. He turned into a solid fighter that fought when he needed to protect himself or a team mate. I'm not saying I liked it, I'm just saying that I'm glad he learned the basics early.

If checking and fighting are "part of the game" they need to be taught, early.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 01:05 AM 05-20-2011
Good points Al. Good video links EJ.

I know Micahs age is likely affecting my view on checking. I dont know why I worry when he seems to enjoy the physical side of the game. I know they have checking clinics locally and they will let younger kids in on a case by case basis, but I think 7 turning 8 if very good and big enough was the earliest they will let them in. I know of one 7 year old who participated atleast in part of one. Not sure if any of the clubs work on it as well pretty sure his mite club wont.

Its funny the videos drive home the point and Al said this also, but kids skate with their head down too much. They also mentioned turning into the boards (like Sedin did the other night), as well as racing to the boards for the puck seemingly not worried about the forechecker or Dman whos coming right behind. My wife and I have been preaching to him about always keeping his head up. Practicing with the older kids these past months, and getting flattened a couple of times seems to have been huge for his understanding the importance. Oddly its when hes off the puck he has traditionaly had an issue. When he has it he seems to keep his head up looking for space. He works with the ball in the garage and its helped him to have pretty good puck control so hes not looking down. Today at the Stars practice the coach mentioned hes doing really well finding space with and without the puck by keeping his head up. He got one of his teams three goals in the scrim. So I am hoping all dads talks and getting nailed a couple of times by not looking around has helped. Will have to see if he develoos the other to habits so far he doesnt

Given hes already playing up and at the travel level I know there is a fair chance if he keeps the passion that he could play at some point where he may need to be able to fight. I know that will be tough for me. I actually thought about starting to work with him on balance while grappling on rollerblades in the garage. Never had a fight on the ice though only some grappling because only ever played beer league and wouldnt want to teach him something wrong. Wonder what age to start that at.
[Reply]
E.J. 02:06 PM 05-20-2011
@ the bottom of the page here http://www.usahockey.com//Template_U...T_03&ID=299508 you can take a survey about the proposed checking rules and then give any thoughts at the end...if you so choose.
[Reply]
E.J. 09:40 PM 05-20-2011
Few from tonights game(3-1) loss. He was pretty disappointed that he missed this...

[Reply]
E.J. 09:18 AM 05-21-2011
Going through the photos for the team and popped these off.

...and one more of a teammate... Looks good, but is went left...:-)

[Reply]
Ahbroody 03:29 PM 05-21-2011
No ice today took micah to roller. They want him to move up and play with the mite level kids. Today I was disappointed with how he played. He did the one man show thing going end to end over and over and just hogging the puck skating around waiting for an opening. He scored enough but it made for bad viewing and it was embarrassing watching him have no sense of team. Other times he would just barely skate not getting back. The guy who coached him for the tourney was there and said he needs to move up because hes doing it because hes bored. He knows hes better and can just move through everybody. Next week we are supposed to try the older group.

Right now T-ball. Tomorrow Hawks practice.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 02:29 PM 05-22-2011
He battled on the boards and broke up some clears.

Bodying a bigger kid

He got two goals today in the 30 minute scrim.
[Reply]
E.J. 04:14 PM 05-22-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
He battled on the boards and broke up some clears.

Bodying a bigger kid

He got two goals today in the 30 minute scrim.
NICE Mike! Good stuff!
[Reply]
Ahbroody 10:44 PM 05-22-2011
Crap I need to figure out how to take some decent photos.
The culture here is you dont want to break out a camera at a practice people would look at me funny and likely catch little heat.

Maybe I will try to bring one to the practice Tuesday, but I dont have a good glass for the wifes Nikon. May have to buy some. :-)
In speaking with some guys he really has no chance of making the Hawks. They dont take kids under age. In order for them to take you underage you have to be in the top 5 players of the age group. Its funny as he knows whats up and that its the best club and wants to try out. I am trying to explain to him they wont take him because hes not old enough and he will need to play Cougars this year. Banging head against wall. He wont quit. Trying to explain if he plays for the Cougars this year he could likely make it with ease isnt working so well either.

Going to order his skates this week.

So far he likes his Messier helmet. No complaiants about fit. I was smacking his helmet to see when he said it hurt. I stopped before he did. I see a few kids in the photos with the helmet EJ. $hit is birth control and kind of heavy.
[Reply]
E.J. 11:40 AM 05-25-2011
This is neat stuff.... Hosting the 2012 US High School Hockey Championships. I look forward to watching!

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/...ports.html.csp
[Reply]
E.J. 07:11 PM 05-27-2011
So about a month ago I sent an email to the guy that runs the rink closest to us('bout 5 minutes) and thus runs all hockey programs based there, asking if I could sign my daughter up for the 3-3 Summer Hockey. She will be a first year mite this October(first year she is able to play here) and I figured it couldn't hurt. I also wanted her attending organized ice time this Summer(so much easier than S&P or drop in).

He responded that she has not even completed a season of mite play and described 3-3 as being for "the advanced kids" or something of that nature. He said she was not done with Start Smart(all kids here are supposed to finish Start Smart before entering any league play) and he generally does not encourage Start Smart kids to play in the 3-3 because it is too fast paced. He also said that there was another session of Start Smart(I was not aware of this) and that would keep her on the ice in the Summer.

I am not new to the Summer 3-3 here, the Little Man did it for years....and his response sounded about right, but I admit that I was a little disappointed. I told him that I appreciated his candor and was just pleased that there was more Start Smart that would keep her on the ice bla..bla..bla...

Anyway, he sent out a request for goalies for the 3-3, apparently they need 2 for the Mites. Abby has been asking me about some time between the pipes and I thought, why not ask... I sent a quick note stating that I knew that he did not feel a 6 year old Start Smart kid was ready for the 3-3, but if he was really in need of a goalie, she'd be happy to fill in there in lieu of the shooter tutor that they'd end up using. This is a copy and past of his response. It should be noted that he is currently teaching Abby's "gap session", which is just a month between the last Start Smart and the next one.... It is the first time he has seen her on the ice.

"Abby is a pretty good Start Smart kid. I think she would be ok in the Mite division. She’s a competitor. Does she want to be a goalie in the League? We need goalies so if she wants to play as a goalie that would be fine. I would let he be a skater also but our biggest needs are goaltenders.

Let me know."

Put a huge smile on my face. Know what, no words describe her better.... "She’s a competitor."

Classic, as I am typing this, know what she just yelled at me....:-) "Dad, can you get my bag down..... I need to get the goalie stuff on so I can practice."
[Reply]
E.J. 01:08 PM 05-28-2011
Went to drop in today.... Had a good time, did okay for the first time in net. The loaner stuff is junk.....

She did make the stop in #4....

[Reply]
Ahbroody 05:23 PM 05-28-2011
So freaking cool brother. If she likes it go with it. Micah doesnt like being a hamster. He likes the pads but gets bored quickly. What size pads are those. I would recommend the vaughn 7100 pads depending on size she needs. Multiple kids who play mite goalie locally like them and have them. Great flex, light weight, real buckle straps not those snap pads, you can grab them from totalhockey for 139. There are some other pads that are a little better, but cost $70 to $100 more. Bang for buck Vaughn is great for the little ones. Micah wants a street pair for the garage. Ugggggggh

Today he played the older roller division 7-8. I still have not signed him up for ice games Saturday because hes practicing with the three mite clubs during the rest of the week. Roller are not set teams they just split them down the middle. The split was a fail today. His team lost 6-15. I am glad I moved him up though. He showed me something today and I was very proud. He scored one of the 6 goals and drew a penalty shot by skating hard, but didnt convert. Beauty of a deek on the shot to. They had a $hit goalie also. What I was more proud of and Al should dig this. He recognized his team was getting shelled and he changed from playing forward to staying back and playing an umbrella style D stopping a ton of the other teams rushes and dumping the puck deep for his team which resulted in 3 of his teams other goals. Once from his stomach. :-). They only scored once on his goalie on his shifts after he started playing D.

After the game I asked him if the coach had asked him to play D. He said no. I asked why he started playing D. "Nobody was playing defense and our goalie was bad. I had to stop them from scoring." That got a kiss on the head and some praise from dad. Practicing with the travel clubs has improved so much more then his backwards skating, transitions and stick handling. So damn proud of that kid. Recognized the issue and put team ahead of self never being asked. For a kid who loves to score and his age it was a moment for me. I love the lessons this game teaches kids. Whats crazy is last Sunday at the Hawks club Ice practice the other team had two kids who did this to his team on a few of his shifts and kept them pinned in their zone. He took that and learned from it.
[Reply]
E.J. 09:25 PM 06-01-2011
Nailed it.... Not quite, it is soft, but pretty close for a dad just shooting in the stands. The C putting the tying goal in the back of the net mid way through the 3rd. Ended 2-2.

Haven't even gone through the rest of the pics, but knew this was good when I shot it. He'll be pleased....

The Little Man had his best game of the Summer & was solid on both ends. Played both F and D. Stepped up his physical game, which was much needed against this team. That said, he got CRUSHED twice and his jaw is bugging him and he has a big headache.... Still awaiting his first point of the Summer...
[Reply]
E.J. 07:54 AM 06-02-2011
2 of the LM

[Reply]
Ahbroody 11:02 AM 06-02-2011
Awesome pics as always. Tell that kid in the two color socks my son says thats dusty. :-)

Finally went and dug out a few pics.
Last night Cougars practice. Was a boring practice not much to photo.

This was that U7 tourney they did. Penalty shot.

This was one of the last games of the year. thought it was cool because he is breaking for the puck of the faceoff and almost everyone has not even started to move yet.

Hes got blackstars tonight. Even though we said it was not forseable that he would play for them this year they asked him to play for them in a scrimmage against a team from out of area. I am going to let him play. I think its cool hes getting recognized. This year is going to be awesome for him.
[Reply]
E.J. 12:11 PM 06-02-2011
Nice, always love the pics Mike! Micah needs to continue with the lime green laces, it makes it easy as can be to pick him out of a crowd!
[Reply]
E.J. 06:24 PM 06-03-2011
DROID X2... I'm going to be a posting fool...
[Reply]
Ahbroody 02:06 PM 06-04-2011
Well you got the fool part right. :-)

Totalhockey.com is selling these posted it in the nhl thread also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGmXp...layer_embedded

I think I will throw one on his helmet to test it out and see if he triggers it easily. I am pretty sure he would have set it off atleast 2 times last year. Would be interesting to see.
[Reply]
357 07:59 AM 06-06-2011
Originally Posted by Ahbroody:
Well you got the fool part right. :-)

Totalhockey.com is selling these posted it in the nhl thread also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGmXp...layer_embedded

I think I will throw one on his helmet to test it out and see if he triggers it easily. I am pretty sure he would have set it off atleast 2 times last year. Would be interesting to see.
Good stuff Mike. I've seen similar devices used in crash tests, Mythbusters, etc. It only makes sense to use these on kids helmets, although it might be better if the sensor was on the inside with some kind of external indicator. Might cut down on "false positives".

It wouldn't surprise me if the NFL, NHL, and even MLB (for batters) adopt something similar in the future. I'm sure each respective Player's Assosciation would jump at the idea. It would take some of the "letting the team down" out of getting checked out. If the G-force alarm goes off, automatic testing kind of idea would kinda let them of the hook so to speak; even if that's not what they necessarily want at the moment.
[Reply]
Page 21 of 60
« First < 11192021 222331 > Last »
Up