Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Padron Family Reserve No. 44 maduro
borndead1 11:38 PM 05-05-2024
I'm gonna state a potentially controversial opinion here: The only really good Padron cigars are the really expensive ones. And the really expensive Padron cigars aren't worth the coin. :-)

I snagged a box of these from Pyramid Cigars. I'm not sure if they are just starting out and trying to build a customer base or what, but these Padron Family Reserve were $229/box of 10; about $100 less than every other site. So I was like, 'f*ck it' and bought a box.

Damn...what a great smoke. Not a whole lot of depth to the flavor, but very prominent cocoa/coconut flavors typical of most maduro cigars.

As it is with pretty much every Padron, the draw is looser than an 80 yr old hooker, but somehow the burn is slow and even. If Padron rollers could train Cuban rollers, it would reshape the entire cigar industry. :-)

Like I said earlier, fairly typical maduro flavors of cocoa, coffee, and coconut. There's a sweetness on the draw that is very nice. Again, perfect burn. I feel like Padron has figured out some sort of supernatural hack when it comes to burn and draw, cuz as loose as the draw is, their cigars burn really slowly, and they do not taste harsh (chemical/ammonia) as you smoke. The 'strength' of this cigar is full, but not harsh at all during the entire process of draw/snork/finish. It's crazy.

Final thoughts...fantastic smoke. But even at the crazy sale price ($23/stick), not worth the coin. :-)
[Reply]
Brian D. 06:22 AM 05-06-2024
Thanks for the review. At $23 a stick, I'll have to take your word for it about those cigars. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:40 AM 05-06-2024
I appreciate hearing your thoughts, Mark. I think I have a 1964 Pyramid in the humidor, may have to break it out this week and give her a whirl. This one was a gift so fits nicely in my budget. :-)
[Reply]
Weelok 12:36 PM 05-06-2024
Your palate is way more sensitive than mine. I can’t really tell much difference from a thousand series Padron or a 1964. I do get pretty big body differences between the Family cigars as well as the 1926. I’m guessing the tobacco is aged quite a bit longer on the Family and 1926 series cigars.

I love how all Padron cigars smoke slow with a great draw. It’s a mystery.

I definitely don’t smoke many of the Family or ‘26 cigars due to price vs enjoyment.

Great review.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 01:12 PM 05-06-2024
The '64 is about as expensive as I'll go with Padrons. I can't tell that much of a difference between them and the '26, so I stick with the less expensive option. :-)
[Reply]
MaytagMan 08:33 PM 05-06-2024
Thanks for the review - I am pretty typically a 64 guy for the price/flavor ratio, but still branch out to the others to check the lay of the land every so often.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:18 AM 05-07-2024
Mark Mark, you are entitled to your opinion. Fact, did everybody all like the same cigars? There would not be enough of them for each of us that like them.

Personally, I've not had a Padron I do not like. In fact, while not mentioned here, Damaso line is spectacular for a Connie wrapper stick.

Thanks for your thoughts on this smoke. I have not had one yet, as at that price point. Through my pockets.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
Up