Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 134 of 199
« First < 3484124132133134 135136144184 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
icehog3 06:03 PM 05-10-2021
Originally Posted by Brian D.:
I probably won't be heading there anytime soon, Tom. Theo is your guy for that. He'll probably throw a group together for a visit. Heck, come down here yourself and join them. Kentucky is slated to remove all restaurant/bar Covid restrictions on May 28. You'll have no excuses after that. :-)
None.....besides money and distance. But not unovercomable.

I made up a new word. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 05:28 AM 05-11-2021
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Any chance one of the Old Carters was American Batch 4 (139.6 proof)? I still haven't cracked mine, and they're already going for double what I paid for it a few months ago.
Unfortunately not, KY Whiskery Batch 1 and Bourbon Batch 6. I've got a bottle of the Bourbon Batch 6 and think it's good not great, if I had realized it was Dickel I probably wouldn't have bothered. I've got a bottle of Bourbon Batch 7 on its way now that they've gone back to MGP for the latest run. I'm trying to convince myself I don't need more of them, too dang expensive, but they're fun. I just got a sample set yesterday from a friend that has American Batch 4 in it (along with a Bourbon, Rye, KY and Bourbon Single Barrel) so I'll let you know when I give that an open :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 06:34 AM 05-11-2021
Has anybody tried the Woodford Reserve "Malt", "wheat", or "rye" versions? There is a local spot that has been selling them for $19.99 a bottle, a very, very, very reasonable price. I personally like The malt and the wheat even better than the normal bourbon.
[Reply]
icehog3 07:29 AM 05-11-2021
Looking forward to hearing about the OC when you get to it, Ben.

Todd, that sounds like an outstanding price for the Woodford variants.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 01:41 PM 05-11-2021
Looking forward to hearing about the OC when you get to it, Ben.

Todd, that sounds like an outstanding price for the Woodford variants.
When I was to see my son in Milwaukee, everywhere I found them (2 places) they went between $39 & $45.

At $20 a bottle, those could easily become a go to pour as a nightcap.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 03:08 PM 05-11-2021
Originally Posted by Beagleone:
Had a good week. Got an email last Friday that I won the spring raffle at Total Wine for the Old Forester 150. Saturday I stopped at Spec's and grabbed the new Pinhook Tiz Rye 5 year. Monday I picked up the Weller 107. Tuesday I got a call that I had the Elijah Craig 18 year. Wednesday was the EHT Small Batch. And today I got call that I had a allocated bottle of Elmer T. Lee waiting for me at the store. It was a really good week!

Incredible to get all of this without having to take out a second mortgage, congrats
[Reply]
RevSmoke 08:05 PM 05-13-2021
This is a very nice bourbon, but it is hard to find outside of Wisconsin.

[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:22 AM 05-14-2021
Killer week, Tony!

I headed to the city to grab some bottles I had already paid for some time back (Old Haymarket SiB pick, another Whistlepig 2 barrel blend pick). Owner let me try the Barrel Bourbon SiB pick, grabbed one of those too, never had Barrel before.

Pops is that the WP you sent me a little bottle of? I haven't found a WP store pick I don't like. I just wish we could see some with higher proof. I found out United has a hub at Newark and Chicago meaning cheap flights. I might have to come over for drink :-):-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:30 AM 05-14-2021
Son, that is the WP I sent. No super recent picks, but I agree, every WP group or store pick I have had has been stellar. Plus gives me a break from my constant barrage of 125+ proof pours. :-) You know you are welcome here every day and twice on Tuesdays. :-)

Speaking of high proof, last nights pour, courtesy of Black Carl.

[Reply]
Porch Dweller 10:09 AM 05-15-2021
Popped in to one of the local B&Ms on a whim and grabbed this plus a bottle of WT101.

[Reply]
icehog3 05:01 PM 05-16-2021
Curious to hear your thoughts, James, I wasn't a big fan of Dicker's BiB.
[Reply]
jledou 08:26 AM 05-17-2021
Cracked open the first Barrell bottle on Friday night. Blend of Tennessee, Indiana, and Kentucky

Seemed very forward on the Tennessee flavors and notes. I hear dried fruit - apricot used to describe the flavors but had never really found that myself, I did in this one. The finish is light considering the proof for this.

The Tennessee is speculated to be Dickel so interested to see what you think Tom.
Attached: IMG_20210514_171405.jpg (100.8 KB) 
[Reply]
icehog3 09:35 AM 05-17-2021
Jay, my one and only Barrell is a single barrel, and I am not positive what the source is though I believe it's MGP. I'll have to try and find one of the blends, is that one a specific batch number?

Here's the tater sticker on mine for chits and grins.

[Reply]
icehog3 09:36 AM 05-17-2021
Opened my oldest Booker's to day, 15-02 (Dot's Batch). It was good, less heat than the typical Booker's finish, a little sweetness on the palate. I'll reserve any real judgment until it's been open several weeks.

[Reply]
jledou 09:45 AM 05-17-2021
Jay, my one and only Barrell is a single barrel, and I am not positive what the source is though I believe it's MGP. I'll have to try and find one of the blends, is that one a specific batch number?

Here's the tater sticker on mine for chits and grins.
The one I tried Friday was batch 24.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:51 AM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by jledou:
The one I tried Friday was batch 24.
Thanks, Jay, I'll keep a lookout, although it was could be hard to find, I thought they were at least on Batch 29 now?
[Reply]
stearns 09:55 AM 05-17-2021
Barrell is too hard to keep up with, I had a sample from an 18 year bottle that was one of the best pours I had last year but I know there's no chance of finding that one so no reason to look. I know they're trying to settle down a little with Stellum and some of the bigger regular releases like Seagrass but I feel like it would take a lot of money and energy to really get into them like some people do. I don't have anything from them and likely won't unless I get to give it a sample first, the few I've tried have ranged from ok to amazing
[Reply]
jledou 11:04 AM 05-17-2021
Thanks, Jay, I'll keep a lookout, although it was could be hard to find, I thought they were at least on Batch 29 now?
I have seen 28 on the shelves here so 28/29 right in there somewhere.

I agree they are not something that is easy to keep up with, just something different.
[Reply]
stearns 07:10 AM 05-19-2021
Did a blind tasting last night from a friend, 5 ryes and last place by far was a 15 year WP10 pick. I don't know what was going on with that barrel but it was not good and so off profile from the typical WP10 or any other single barrels I have tried, fennel and anise and wet wood all the way. I went back through the 5 many times and every time thought that one was not good
[Reply]
icehog3 09:32 AM 05-19-2021
One bad barrel don't spoil the whole bunch, Ben...with apologies to the Osmond Brothers.

Had some Booker's 2017-02 last night. It was the current batch when the world lost Chris Cornell 4 years ago yesterday. Listened to Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog and solo stuff.

[Reply]
Page 134 of 199
« First < 3484124132133134 135136144184 > Last »
Up