Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>What other brands cat litter?
Sadden 03:36 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by ky70:
Update: I reached about 9 months without having to lift a finger as my humidity held solid between 64-67 in my coolidor using KL. The humidity finally dipped to the very low 60s today so I added distilled water to the KL to try and bring the humidity up a bit. But I'm more than pleased with my results.

Well im glad you figured out something that works for you.
[Reply]
Smoqman 03:44 PM 11-20-2013
I've got a 14lb bag of Exquisicat and would be happy to send anyone a pound or 3, free - no charge.

PM me and I'll send it out.
[Reply]
Smoqman 04:00 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by pektel:
Northern MN goes through a little bit of humidity swings between the seasons.
Happy to see a fellow Minnesotan here on the board :-)
[Reply]
ky70 10:18 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
What is the ambient RH in the room where you keep your coolerdor?
44/43ish

[Reply]
ky70 11:42 AM 02-06-2014
Deep in the middle of winter now and the humidity in the room is down to 31. KL is holding steady in the low 60s (I let it drop to a lower humidity to accommodate Habanos).
[Reply]
icehog3 01:34 PM 02-06-2014
I decided to give kitty litter a try, but my humidity is all over the map. Am I doing it wrong?

[Reply]
stearns 01:35 PM 02-06-2014
not enough cats...

:-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 05:01 PM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by ky70:
Deep in the middle of winter now and the humidity in the room is down to 31. KL is holding steady in the low 60s (I let it drop to a lower humidity to accommodate Habanos).
You do pull the erm tootsie rolls and clumps out first right?

[Reply]
ky70 03:07 PM 02-08-2014
Lol Tom!!
[Reply]
badbriar 01:20 PM 03-16-2014
Been using the dreaded KL for 10 months now in my 18 bottle wineador, holding around 375 to 400 sticks and here's the results I've seen:

First off, KL is not as stable as 'real' beads. That said, they aren't terrible, just more work for a little less $$$.
If / when the power surges, the wineador temperature is programmed to reset to lowest temp, which is 54. When the temp is returned to 66, the humidity rises from 67 where I prefer it to 72-73. The fix is to replace the old KL with fresh, no water added. Humidity returns and stabilizes to 67 in about 3-4 days. Simply dry the old KL and it is good to re-use.
Over a period of 3-4 months, the humidity slowly climbs to 70+. Fix is same as outlined above. I
I live in hot, humid Central, FL and that is a factor in keeping the humidity down. Even through most of winter, the ambient humidity both outside and inside the house, is higher than what is desired in the wineador. That's the reason, along with a desire to prevent beetle infestation is why I went with a wineador.

KL has been a good experiment, but I will be moving to a bead system in my search for a rock solid, stable humidification in the cigar cave!

Conclusion is that KL is OK, but a bead system sounds to be better for a rock solid stable humidification source. I'll find out soon!

Note: no cats, kittens or other feline types were injured in the execution of this experiment, nor were they permitted to use said KL for the purpose of evacuation in any manner, as this may have had an unexpected impact upon the enjoyment of torching the cigars stored in the enclosed system, utilizing KL as a sole source of humidification control.
[Reply]
ky70 10:17 PM 03-17-2014
Thanks for the update! Your results are good to add to the conversation though I can say that I didnt experience material fluctuations in humidity with KL once I got mine at the desired number. I'm over the 1 yr mark with KL in a coolidor and humidor and have been thrilled with the results.

I hope the beads work better for you. Good luck!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:27 PM 03-18-2014
Originally Posted by badbriar:
eads. That said, they aren't terrible, just more work for a little less $$$.
If / when the power surges, the wineador temperature is programmed to reset to lowest temp, which is 54. When the temp is returned to 66, the humidity rises from 67 where I prefer it to 72-73. The fix is to replace the old KL with fresh, no water added. Humidity returns and stabilizes to 67 in about 3-4 days. Simply dry the old KL and it is good to re-use.
Over a period of 3-4 months, the humidity slowly climbs to 70+. Fix is same as outlined above.
Wow that's a full 10% over mine, really goes to show you everyone likes their cigars at a different humidity. Rock on!
[Reply]
T.G 12:38 AM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Wow that's a full 10% over mine, really goes to show you everyone likes their cigars at a different humidity. Rock on!
I think Rob meant that he prefers it at 67 and that, under certain conditions, can rise to 72-73. Unless you meant that you liked your cigars at 59-60 RH
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:32 AM 03-19-2014
Originally Posted by T.G:
I think Rob meant that he prefers it at 67 and that, under certain conditions, can rise to 72-73. Unless you meant that you liked your cigars at 59-60 RH
That's how I read it, too.
[Reply]
badbriar 08:20 AM 03-19-2014
You got it! :-)

Another factor may be the relentlessly high humidity here in Florida. This winter, the humidity in the house was from 66% to over 80%. We rarely needed to run the heat and with the outside humidity being even higher, my issue is keeping the humidity down in the humidor and wineador. Surprisingly, KL has worked better than the el cheapo pucks in the cedar humi. Trying Boveda packs in there now. I'm looking to try the premium quality beads in the wineador to see if that is even more stable. Like I said before, KL is not terrible, but could be better. I like to try different experiments and move up in quality after seeing what's what. Done this with cutters, punches, humidors and KL. If I were smarter, I'd have saved a bundle just by going with better quality / known items in the first place! :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:22 AM 03-19-2014
You are absolutely right and my reading comprehension was **** last night.
[Reply]
baust55 03:48 PM 05-18-2014
I have been using HF beads in my two 100ct humidors . I had to add a little distilled water every week in the dry winter . I bought an 18 bottle vinotemp wine cooler recently .
I decided to try some kitty litter in it . I have a cpl boxes and a few dozen sticks in it now . I started with about only 8oz of the kitty pearls.... holding right at 65% RH no water added since the cpl squirts I gave them to start 4 weeks ago . . RH IN ROOM IS about 50% . when I open the wineador the RH recovers quickly to 65% RH in just a cpl minutes.
Now two 2oz tubes of HF beads cost me $28 shipped.............. I got a giant 8lb bag of kitty pearls delivered for far less .....so far I have used only 8oz of the 8lb bag .
So even if I double THE Kitty litter in my humidor I will still have 7lb left so its ...way way ....way more thrifty than the HF beads ..

I like the HF beads but I am super cheap eeeeerrrr I mean thrifty .
so that goofy math trying to say kitty liter would be more expensive is laughable .

OK IN SIX MONTHS I WILL REPORT BACK

SO FAR KITTY LITTER WINS OVER HF BEADS !

AUSTIN

p.s
I am still using the (4 ...20Z Tubes) 8 oz of HF beads that cost me almost $40 I also am squirting them one a week to keep RHat 65%

Man I am kicking my ass for wasting all that money when I could have got twice as many KITTY beads for buck or two . DOH !
[Reply]
Chimneyfish 08:00 PM 05-20-2014
stability issue is solved by one thing:
place the litter in a dish in an empty box and close the lid. that's the humidification method that works exquisitely!

that is... until i started to run out of space :-)
[Reply]
badbriar 05:27 AM 05-21-2014
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
You do pull the erm tootsie rolls and clumps out first right?

Pull 'em??? Naaaaawwww.... I smoke 'em! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 04:03 PM 05-21-2014
Originally Posted by Chimneyfish:
stability issue is solved by one thing:
place the litter in a dish in an empty box and close the lid. that's the humidification method that works exquisitely!
I c wut you did thar!

My cat doesn't care but she doesn't like the clay based as much, gets between her toes and she shakes her legs out funny to get the little pieces out.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up