Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>My Daughter Buys Her First Car - By Herself
RGD. 10:05 PM 11-18-2011
Well mostly by herself. It's not new - but new to her. You know as a parent you kind of cheer quietly to yourself as your kids make steps on the way to being an adult. And this is one of those things.
She has been asking questions on cars, loans and stuff for the past week and I dispensed advise. Today she comes home from work and sits down by the computer with me and asks what I thought about a specific SUV. Well one thing led to another and we visited every manufacturers web site looking at financing, graduate student programs and such. She decided that a good used would be the best for her budget. Over to Carmax, hell we must have looked at several hundred SUVs before we narrowed it down to 7, then to 5 and finally 2. 20 minutes later she had decided on this 2007 Ford Edge SEL Plus - decently loaded with on board NAV, leather interior and stuff.
Next we called our insurance company (USAA) to get coverage rates and then had the girl switch us over to the auto finance. 25 minutes later she had her loan at a very nice 3.9%.
The car is being transferred to the local Carmax and may be here by Wednesday. She is excited and thrilled and her mother and I are smiling broadly on the inside. It's one of them parent things - :-)

Ron

2007 Ford Edge SEL Plus 4D Sport Utility

[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:07 PM 11-18-2011
Nice pickup. I have the 2011 Edge and really like it a lot.
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 10:10 PM 11-18-2011
Nice. Gotta love Ford products.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:30 PM 11-18-2011
Congrats! I'm hoping to be in that same position in a couple years!
[Reply]
colinb913 11:13 PM 11-18-2011
She will appreciate that car one thousand times more knowing that SHE spent HER money on it. I see kids get in little fender benders and **** all the time at school, and just shrug it off. I clean my truck every week, and give it a deep cleaning every month. Never been in a major accident, and my one fender bender and my truck had zero damage.

You just tend to respect stuff so much more that you actually buy. Congrats!
[Reply]
irratebass 11:23 PM 11-18-2011
Very cool story, thanks for sharing and congrats to your daughter and like Colin said she will appreciate the car more since she paid for it herself.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:24 PM 11-18-2011
Good story all the way around, Ron.....tell your daughter congrats, and be careful. :-)
[Reply]
hotreds 05:30 AM 11-19-2011
Brava- nicely done!
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:32 AM 11-19-2011
Congrats to your daughter and congrats to you for raising her well :-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 07:14 AM 11-19-2011
It makes you think,well maybe college actually did teach her something :-)
College and good parenting go a long way.
Celeste and sister are both looking at the Edge for their next cars.
Ford really has it going on these days...
[Reply]
Taki 07:42 AM 11-19-2011
Awesome...she will really appreciate knowing she paid for it! Well done with buying Ford tell your daughter congrats!!
[Reply]
RGD. 07:45 AM 11-19-2011
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
It makes you think,well maybe college actually did teach her something :-)
Yep - some days.

Originally Posted by :
Celeste and sister are both looking at the Edge for their next cars.
I have actually like the looks/style of the Edge for a while now and when Donna decides to get rid of her Crown Vic we will definitely look at it. Amanda's final two choices were the Edge and Chevy Traverse. They had a really nice BMW X3 that she could afford - but she didn't like the radio layout :-) .

And when Steph found out last night, she decided that she wants Amanda's old ass Explorer, which we wouldn't get squat for on trade (would just stick a for sale sign on it out front instead). So Amanda can take Steph's Contour as a trade in and actual get something for it and reduce her payments a little more. Got to love it when sisters actually work together - :-)

Ron
[Reply]
68TriShield 08:22 AM 11-19-2011
Originally Posted by RGD.:
Got to love it when sisters actually work together - :-)

Ron
I hear ya,brothers too :-)
[Reply]
G G 08:59 AM 11-19-2011
Awesome story, thanks for sharing.:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:06 AM 11-19-2011
Good stuff Ron. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:46 AM 11-19-2011
It's always cool when you see your kids do something "adult" and do it well -- it proves that they do listen to you (sometimes :-)). Congrats!
[Reply]
maninblack 09:58 AM 11-19-2011
Nice looking ride!
[Reply]
BnBTobacco 04:43 PM 11-19-2011
Great choice! Congrats to the proud parents! :-)
[Reply]
MrClean 06:10 PM 11-19-2011
Good for her and you and the wife!
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
RGD. 08:55 PM 11-19-2011
Well - today didn't turn out as planned. Daughter and I take the trade-in car out to get it appraised ahead of time and of all things - half way there, the damn thing blows a transmission. SOB. No warning, no previous indication of trouble, nothing.

I managed to limp it home between the shifting out of gears, slipping and slamming/banging back in and out gear. That was fun. Oh well - not much to do but laugh about the whole thing. Luckily we really don't need the trade amount - just would have been nice.

:-)

Ron
[Reply]
Up