Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 105 of 129
« First < 55595103104105 106107115 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Losing Weight with Starscream
goalie204 09:02 AM 07-13-2011
I've read a lot of good stuff about Cheat days and a lot of diets base their methods on them.

The idea is that our bodies are very resistant to change (true) and by having a cheat day every time you get on a plateau, where your body really wants to hold onto your fat, the cheat day tricks the body into thinking "oh, things are back to normal, i can relax now and stop holding onto the fat so tightly" - and then you get back on teh wagon and continue your changed life

I've had success with it in the past, but don't know if it should be a cheat day, cheat meal, or not at all and just tough out a plateau. I'm undecided, and don't know if it's safe (mentally safe i mean) for us low carbers.

How do you folks in here feel about this?
[Reply]
shilala 09:04 AM 07-13-2011
Bob, you're gonna have to give up your Pierogi King title, ya know? :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:08 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
Bob, you're gonna have to give up your Pierogi King title, ya know? :-)
I know. I haven't had one in a loooong time.
[Reply]
shilala 09:20 AM 07-13-2011
I don't think a cheat day is a good idea at all, if it's just for the sake of a cheat day. If something special comes along like an Anniversary Dinner of Graduation or whatever and the menu is out of the line of what one would ordinarily eat, then by all means, have at her. If the cheat day is simply for the sake of overeating, I think it's a really bad idea. It simply exists to help bad habits to remain.
They say it takes a month to change a habit. If I take a cheat day every week, that'll ensure I never get the habit changed, so it just dooms me to never getting used to a new way of doing things.
I'm sure there's other lines of thought, and everyone has their right to do what they see fit, but I can't see any productive reason for it, except for maybe getting the hook in someone, then doing away with the cheat day later. I don't even think that's a good idea.
[Reply]
shilala 09:27 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I know. I haven't had one in a loooong time.
I can eat them, but not the potatoes. There's already potatoes in the dumpling/noodle part, and that's about all the potassium I can take, I think. I'll have to put the boss on this. She figures out all that potassium stuff and tells me what I can eat and how much.
I just realized she asked me to get wings to do on the grill tonight. I can't eat chicken. I'll be having the salad and rice surprise. :-)
[Reply]
goalie204 09:28 AM 07-13-2011
I think i agree with you there Scott. Although i regret not even having something nice on my birthday now, cuz i am hardcore following this.

They say that the cheat day or cheat meal "tricks" your body and i've read nothing but success stories from those who were strong willed enough to get back on track, but my concern is that as a food addict, 1 meal will turn into 2, and 1 day will turn into getting off track, and it will be too hard to get back.

Anyway, BLEH! :-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:59 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by goalie204:
I think i agree with you there Scott. Although i regret not even having something nice on my birthday now, cuz i am hardcore following this.

They say that the cheat day or cheat meal "tricks" your body and i've read nothing but success stories from those who were strong willed enough to get back on track, but my concern is that as a food addict, 1 meal will turn into 2, and 1 day will turn into getting off track, and it will be too hard to get back.

Myles, I'm an alcoholic. I haven't had a drink in over 8 years. If I'd have taken a cheat day a week, the only time I'd have ever stopped drinking is when I was in jail. :-)
Everyone who's trying to lose weight isn't a food addict, and that's why I'm ever conscious not to lump everyone together. Some folks just have bad habits. A lot of bad habits are because there's no time to stop for a decent meal, or you don't want to waste good money you just spent at BK by leaving half a Whopper on the seat of the car, or food turns into entertainment because work is so damned boring. That stuff can get changed by developing new habits and can be changed in a real short time. A cheat day wouldn't be productive in developing new habits because that takes time.
On the other hand, if I'm a hard core food addict, a cheat day isn't a good idea for a million reasons.
I've learned a lot of stuff about how my tiny little brain works over the years and found that I can lean on the same stuff that got me sober to fix all kinds of other stuff. It's not any kind of magically deep scientific sh1t, either. Just mostly real good common sense that I failed to pick up along the way.
Point is, lots of the stuff I picked up works across the board, and makes just as much sense for changing bad habits, because that's a great big part of fixing alcoholism/addiction.
I'm always willing to listen to other ideas and approaches to problems, because other folks share really good stuff a LOT. It's why I don't have any "written in stone" thoughts or ideas. I'll take all the help I can get. I need it. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:05 AM 07-13-2011
Well said Scott.
[Reply]
goalie204 11:17 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
Myles, I'm an alcoholic. I haven't had a drink in over 8 years. If I'd have taken a cheat day a week, the only time I'd have ever stopped drinking is when I was in jail. :-)
Everyone who's trying to lose weight isn't a food addict, and that's why I'm ever conscious not to lump everyone together. Some folks just have bad habits. A lot of bad habits are because there's no time to stop for a decent meal, or you don't want to waste good money you just spent at BK by leaving half a Whopper on the seat of the car, or food turns into entertainment because work is so damned boring. That stuff can get changed by developing new habits and can be changed in a real short time. A cheat day wouldn't be productive in developing new habits because that takes time.
On the other hand, if I'm a hard core food addict, a cheat day isn't a good idea for a million reasons.
I've learned a lot of stuff about how my tiny little brain works over the years and found that I can lean on the same stuff that got me sober to fix all kinds of other stuff. It's not any kind of magically deep scientific sh1t, either. Just mostly real good common sense that I failed to pick up along the way.
Point is, lots of the stuff I picked up works across the board, and makes just as much sense for changing bad habits, because that's a great big part of fixing alcoholism/addiction.
I'm always willing to listen to other ideas and approaches to problems, because other folks share really good stuff a LOT. It's why I don't have any "written in stone" thoughts or ideas. I'll take all the help I can get. I need it. :-)
I was only referring to myself when I said "food addict" - no one else - because i think am one. I quit drugs nearly 4 years ago, but the difference is, I need to eat food everyday, i don't need to do drugs :-) - I have overcome a lot in my life, and my battle with being a fatty is another thing that i will overcome, but when plateauing for weeks at a time, maybe it's time to look at ways to overcome it. I am scared to cheat (meaning, to eat something not on the plan im following) - because i don't know if it will be a slippery slope - so i haven't. The same way i'm scared to do drugs again, because it likely won't lead to a good place. :-)

I too am always willing to listen to advice, suggestions ,help of others - it doesn't mean i'll do what i'm asked, but i'll always listen and consider :-)
[Reply]
guado 11:28 AM 07-13-2011
I just cheated something FIERCE today. Pizza, wings and beer. Luckily it was only half a small pizza, 3 wings and two beers. But I feel like a fat cow now.

Could have been worse but My month long cravings are satisfied. weighed in at 210.6 this am.
[Reply]
goalie204 11:29 AM 07-13-2011
sometimes if you have a craving for a long time, it's beneficial to your peace of mind to satisfy it Eddie - as long as you can be strong enough to get right back on track! (if that's what you want to do) ! :-)
[Reply]
Da Klugs 11:30 AM 07-13-2011

I think the definition of "cheat" is what is important. It's a relative thing. If you have adjusted your lifestyle - exercise and consumption to healthy ways then "cheating" should have a different context than in the past.

Having a strawberry shortcake sunday might be a new definition of "cheating" as opposed to in the past eating the entire half gallon of ice cream with the whole jar of fudge and bag of walnuts. It's all about temperance. Not eating the 2000 calorie junk food lunch, eating healthy opens the door to "sweet rewards" occasionally without piling on the pounds. Personally I have certain foods that are "addictive" - potato chips is a good example. Just need to stay away from them as a chip usually leads to a pretty significant portion of a 1 lb bag.

When it comes to a long term weight loss program, I'm not a fan of out of context cheat days. There is no need to consume 4000 calories "because you deserve it". The occasional "rewards" are good stuff. Having a couple slices of pizza cux you miss and love it - yup. Eating the whole thing because you deserve it - nope.

I have "rewarded" over the past 100+ days of my fitness program. Having icecream, a steak etc. Have managed to avoid the "old habit rewards". No french fries, junk food, binge portions, etc. It's a change of context but .. it's all good. Tend to eat a bit less and exercise a bit the day after, which to me seems "right".

Have come to realize that no matter how hard you work out, the strongest thing you have in your arsenal to accomplishing your fitness or weight loss objectives is your mind. It's not absolute. You can fall off the wagon today. Just have the strength to get back on tomorrow with a vengence. After a while you dont fall as often or as far and the changes you make for a healthier life become a normal part of your life.
[Reply]
goalie204 11:34 AM 07-13-2011
You're totally right Dave. I never thought of it like that. Absolutely the old me, a reward would be a half dozen donuts for example, but really it wasn't a reward, it was just something to binge on. Now tho, maybe a single dessert after dinner, or a cocktail or beer once every couple of weeks or something would be my idea of a cheat. I don't mean going crazy, and eating 4000 calories in a meal as per your example, but even a single dessert - my concern is that - that single dessert after dinner one night, could lead to a dessert two times a week, then 3, then every night, etc etc. But you're totally right, that it's relative to the lifestyle we're leading, and what our idea of a "cheat" is :-) - As a former drug addict, I wouldn't go do a line of blow as a reward for anything, because who knows where it could lead - same concern with a piece of pie or a dish of ice cream - truth is i'm scared.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:37 AM 07-13-2011
You guys should check out the book "The End of Overeating". It explains a lot about the current discussion.
[Reply]
shilala 01:11 PM 07-13-2011
I was only referring to myself when I said "food addict" - no one else - because i think am one. I quit drugs nearly 4 years ago, but the difference is, I need to eat food everyday, i don't need to do drugs :-) - I have overcome a lot in my life, and my battle with being a fatty is another thing that i will overcome, but when plateauing for weeks at a time, maybe it's time to look at ways to overcome it. I am scared to cheat (meaning, to eat something not on the plan im following) - because i don't know if it will be a slippery slope - so i haven't. The same way i'm scared to do drugs again, because it likely won't lead to a good place. :-)

I too am always willing to listen to advice, suggestions ,help of others - it doesn't mean i'll do what i'm asked, but i'll always listen and consider :-)
I think you know yourself way better than anyone else, and you're giving yourself a damn good piece of advice, brother. :-)
We do have to eat every day, but guys like you and me like to push the line a bit. :-)
[Reply]
goalie204 06:12 PM 07-13-2011
Scott: :-)

____

I got a good recipe from a friend at work, she said they were great and i agree.

Reminds me somewhat of something my mom made growing up

Golden Zuchini-Feta Cakes

Combine 2 grated medium zuchini (about 3 cups) with 1/2 tsp salt. Let stand for 10 minutes (squeeze out as much liquid as possible). Whisk 2 eggs with 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill in a medium bowl. Stir zuchini into egg mixture with 1/2 cup crumbled feta and 2 sliced green onions. Season with Pepper.

Heat in pan with some oil about 3-4 minutes per side until brown

Serves 4: Per serving:
178 Calories, 8g Protein, 17g Carbs, 9g Fat, 2g fibre, 387MG sodium. Excellent source of foliate.

I skipped the flour and used dry dill instead of fresh :-)

Also i made a KILLER KILLER guacamole, and i dont know why, but instead of lime juice i used champagne vinegar in it (just a bit) and it was the frickin best guac ive ever made

I ate the zuchini cakes with some guac, and salsa and sour cream, they were epic

[Reply]
shilala 06:58 PM 07-13-2011
That sum***** looks delicious, Myles. :-)
I had noodles, peas, and a wedge of lettuce. It was good, but the chicken looked better. I could have had a couple of the wings, but it wasn't worth the chance. I'm feeling great and I want to get out there and work on the deck tomorrow.
I'll show this to Lisa so we can try it when the zukes start coming. She loves guacamole, I'm kind of on the fence with it. It's only because it tastes like nothing to me. I've had it a couple times when it was really good, but those are few and far between. Usually it tastes like air and someone is telling me how good it is. :-)
(Plus avacado is full of potassium, so I gotta be careful with it.)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 08:33 PM 07-13-2011
Those do look really good Myles. I'm going to steal that recipe. I'll try soy flour in place of the regular.

Just finished reading the book, "The End of Overeating". I highly recommend it to anyone that want's insight into why we over eat and how to break the cycle. Very good read.
[Reply]
Da Klugs 08:40 AM 07-14-2011
:-) I'm with ya bro!

Fear is a pretty good motivator though so use it as long as you can. I just keep a picture of P-noon by the exercise bike as an example of where I could end up if I fall off the wagon. No way I could ride as hard without it. :-) P-eter doesn't read this forum does he? :-)

I'm getting to the end of the weight loss goal. 8 very hard pounds to go. My fear is once there, not being able to find a "balanced lifestyle" where I can maintain my weight and fitness vs just starting a gradual climb back to a silly weight through reverting to old bad habits.

You're totally right Dave. I never thought of it like that. Absolutely the old me, a reward would be a half dozen donuts for example, but really it wasn't a reward, it was just something to binge on. Now tho, maybe a single dessert after dinner, or a cocktail or beer once every couple of weeks or something would be my idea of a cheat. I don't mean going crazy, and eating 4000 calories in a meal as per your example, but even a single dessert - my concern is that - that single dessert after dinner one night, could lead to a dessert two times a week, then 3, then every night, etc etc. But you're totally right, that it's relative to the lifestyle we're leading, and what our idea of a "cheat" is :-) - As a former drug addict, I wouldn't go do a line of blow as a reward for anything, because who knows where it could lead - same concern with a piece of pie or a dish of ice cream - truth is i'm scared.

[Reply]
goalie204 08:52 AM 07-14-2011
:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Page 105 of 129
« First < 55595103104105 106107115 > Last »
Up