Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 11 of 42
« First < 91011 121321 > Last »
Good Eats>Sous vide
BigAsh 07:58 AM 01-25-2016
Did some ahi tuna steaks last night...110 for 30 minutes...

Post-bath/pre-sear...Thai seasoning and sesame seeds

Just a light sear in hot, non-stick pan with a little oil, 20-30 seconds per side ...served with fresh avocado and some cauliflower "rice", all thai spiced...perfect rare tuna, came out great
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:14 AM 01-25-2016
Looks really good, Keith!
[Reply]
BigAsh 08:19 AM 01-25-2016
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Looks really good, Keith!
Thanks Michael...if you like fish, try it sous vide....the tuna comes out great, I've done it several times...have also done salmon with good results too...keeps the fish nice and moist
[Reply]
T.G 08:17 PM 01-25-2016
Cooked another tri-tip, about 3.7 lbs. This time it was actually cooked at a bit below 132F, vs last time where it was probably 134 due to my not realizing that when you calibrate the Anova IC temperature offset, it isn't saved to the IC, it only kicks in when you have the BT or Wi-Fi connected to your phone where you program the offset. I wasn't using the BT connection for the previous tri-tip, so I was almost 2 degrees higher than what I set with the dial.

Cut the time back a bit, about 6 hrs 45 min this time. I doubt that made any difference, it was just that was when the coals on the santa maria grill were ready for searing.

Much more pleased with the results this time, and I was pretty happy with the last one. This time it was actually still medium rare even after searing for a few minutes per side.

Next time I think I'll try it without any spices in the bag, just cover it with a coat of rub when it goes out to the grill for the sear.
[Reply]
jonumberone 07:23 AM 01-26-2016
I did not realize that it doesn't save the offset. Good to know.

I did three choice grade, inch and a half thick, porterhouse steaks on Sunday.
I've done plenty of steaks with the Anova. So far they have all been Ribeye, and all have been prime grade.
I was curious if the sous vide method did anything to transform the lower grade steaks.
As usual, the steaks were done to a perfect medium rare, and were quite tasty. However, I really didn't notice any difference in tenderness in these steaks vs the countless choice cuts that have hit my plate over the years.
I did see a difference in how moist the meat was, but I wasn't amazed, so I would call it negligible.
I think I was hoping for a better result.

I did manage to get my best sear so far with the Searzall.
I'm happy with my progress with it so far.
[Reply]
markem 08:13 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Just a light sear in hot, non-stick pan with a little oil, 20-30 seconds per side ...served with fresh avocado and some cauliflower "rice", all thai spiced...perfect rare tuna, came out great
Looks amazing Keith. How did you prepare the cauliflower? We do a lot of friend cauliflower but I've never thought of using it this way.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:07 AM 01-26-2016
I did my first New York steaks last night -- until now I had only done Rib Eyes. I think the New York last night was the best steak I had done to-date.

On the Grill I always prefer the Rib Eye, so this was a surprise to me. Maybe due to less marbling?

Looking forward to doing flank steak. I normally do a soy-sauce-based marinade, but I think the meat will end up too salty with the sous vide, so I need to come up with something different.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:12 AM 01-26-2016
Michael, look into doing an equilibrium based marinade for salt content. I do this all the time when i make dry cured meats/salami. Take the weight of the muscle and multiply by the % of salt content you want. Typically 1.5% is a good starting point for non-dry cured products. You can always adjust up/down from there.

Example, 400g steak would be 6g salt. Now for the marinade, it might take a bit more math having to determine salinity levels of liquids used, but you get the idea.
[Reply]
BigAsh 10:16 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
I did not realize that it doesn't save the offset. Good to know.

I did three choice grade, inch and a half thick, porterhouse steaks on Sunday.
I've done plenty of steaks with the Anova. So far they have all been Ribeye, and all have been prime grade.
I was curious if the sous vide method did anything to transform the lower grade steaks.
As usual, the steaks were done to a perfect medium rare, and were quite tasty. However, I really didn't notice any difference in tenderness in these steaks vs the countless choice cuts that have hit my plate over the years.
I did see a difference in how moist the meat was, but I wasn't amazed, so I would call it negligible.
I think I was hoping for a better result.

I did manage to get my best sear so far with the Searzall.
I'm happy with my progress with it so far.
So in a "sous vide" world, is it worth the extra $$ for prime?
[Reply]
BigAsh 10:23 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by markem:
Looks amazing Keith. How did you prepare the cauliflower? We do a lot of friend cauliflower but I've never thought of using it this way.
broke into florets and put in the Vitamix covered with water...give it a few pulses til "rice-sized"....drain and then blot to remove excess moisture....sheet pan with EVOO and seasoning into 400 oven for a 20 minute or so total, stirring halfway thru...it will brown quickly so keep an eye

I did my first New York steaks last night -- until now I had only done Rib Eyes. I think the New York last night was the best steak I had done to-date.

On the Grill I always prefer the Rib Eye, so this was a surprise to me. Maybe due to less marbling?

Looking forward to doing flank steak. I normally do a soy-sauce-based marinade, but I think the meat will end up too salty with the sous vide, so I need to come up with something different.
Love the NY strip..."Beefy" goodness

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Michael, look into doing an equilibrium based marinade for salt content. I do this all the time when i make dry cured meats/salami. Take the weight of the muscle and multiply by the % of salt content you want. Typically 1.5% is a good starting point for non-dry cured products. You can always adjust up/down from there.

Example, 400g steak would be 6g salt. Now for the marinade, it might take a bit more math having to determine salinity levels of liquids used, but you get the idea.
Gotta love the "science" behind cooking....thanks for the tip
[Reply]
markem 10:25 AM 01-26-2016
We found that a NY is very well suited for sous vide. Rib eye for the grill, but probably New York for the sous vide.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:24 PM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
Gotta love the "science" behind cooking....thanks for the tip
Yea, for dry curing meats it's a great as you're never going to go over that percentage. There's just not enough salt to be absorbed.

For an idea on what %'s I use for my recipes:

Bacon - 2%
Fresh Sausage - 1.5-1.7% (all depends on taste of the recipe)
Dry cured sausage/whole muscles - 2.75-3%
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:16 PM 01-26-2016
As I think about my ratios of salt for things like sausage, salami, etc, those might not apply to items like steaks, chops, etc. I would suggest starting out lower, then working your way up. Easier to add then subtract.

This weekend I'm getting half a lamb that I'll be butchering myself. Plan is to sous vide a couple nice thick chops. This is all provided I don't get sent to Mexico for work.
[Reply]
jonumberone 11:13 AM 01-27-2016
I've been home the last few days because of the storm and decided to clean out the freezer.
First, I found a small roast beef about one and a half times the size of my fist.
No idea what cut it was, but it was likely top or bottom round.
4.5 hours at 131°. Much to my surprise it was unbelievably tender.
Used the juice in the bag and some mushrooms to make a gravy, and served it as open faced sandwiches.

Next up boneless turkey breast. Marinated for 4 hours, removed from marinade and did 3 hours at 145°.
Truly the moistest turkey I've ever had. Sliced it up and didn't even bother to make a gravy. Used the left overs to make Turkey clubs the following day and it was still plenty moist.
The texture was also very different, in a good way. It didn't have any of the stringy-ness ( is that a word?) that I associate with turkey or chicken.

Finally I found a few boneless chicken breasts. 145° for 60 min.
Used them to make chicken salad sandwiches. Again, unbelievably moist.
I commented to my wife that they were moist enough that we didn't need mayo.
Tried some with out mayo, and added a slice of avocado instead. It was really good.
[Reply]
BigAsh 11:44 AM 01-27-2016
I've been home the last few days because of the storm and decided to clean out the freezer.
First, I found a small roast beef about one and a half times the size of my fist.
Used the juice in the bag and some mushrooms to make a gravy, and served it as open faced sandwiches.

Next up boneless turkey breast. Marinated for 4 hours, removed from marinade and did 3 hours at 145°.
Truly the moistest turkey I've ever had. Sliced it up and didn't even bother to make a gravy. Used the left overs to make Turkey clubs the following day and it was still plenty moist.
The texture was also very different, in a good way. It didn't have any of the stringy-ness ( is that a word?) that I associate with turkey or chicken.

Tried some with out mayo, and added a slice of avocado instead. It was really good.

who woulda thought!....nice!....gotta try the turkey breast :-)
[Reply]
bonjing 10:50 AM 01-28-2016
Just got a food saver from Costco. Are there any special bags that you guys are using? Also have any noticed health benefits to cooking using this method? Looking to order a anova soon and hoping to do fish and chicken using the cooker.
[Reply]
T.G 12:02 PM 01-28-2016
Originally Posted by bonjing:
Just got a food saver from Costco. Are there any special bags that you guys are using? Also have any noticed health benefits to cooking using this method? Looking to order a anova soon and hoping to do fish and chicken using the cooker.
Just about any standard vacuum sealer bags for clamp sealers will work. I've been primarily using bags from both "FoodVac Bags" and "Commercial Bargains" on Amazon and I can't say that I've noticed any difference between them and the FoodSaver brand bags other than these two brands cost me a lot less per bag than the foodsaver brand.

100pack - 11x16 - $30
200 pack - 8x12 - $30
200 pack - 6x10 - $22

Some companies like VacMaster have a 3-layer bag design, where the middle layer is a mesh for air removal. While they work fine for cooking, the mesh layer ends up making one side of the meat look like a non-skid floor coating.

Not sure on the scientific health benefits. Cooking with less oil and less destruction to meat seems like the obvious ones. That and being able to take one of the most flavorless yet healthiest meats on the planet: the boneless, skinless chicken breast, and make it edible, has to somehow be good for you.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:09 PM 01-28-2016

I have to think that cooking a good thick London broil like this would make for some outstanding French dips. Best dip I have ever had was thin sliced rare London broil....ruined all other dips for me.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:50 PM 01-28-2016
Of course I open this thread for the first time when I happen to be starving. :-)

Kudos to all of you, looks like some wonderful cooking y'all are doing. :-)
[Reply]
bonjing 03:45 PM 01-28-2016
Thanks Adam!
[Reply]
Page 11 of 42
« First < 91011 121321 > Last »
Up