Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Good Eats>Whats the difference?
Robulous78 12:41 AM 08-02-2013
Anyone know the difference between these 2 Sriracha's? or is there a difference?

Is it in my head or is the Sriracha in the bottom picture hotter than the original pictured first...? I definitely think it is... however I think it also has more of a chili taste, yielding pleasure with the pain...

perhaps you are already a Sriracha fan, you should definitely give the other a shot... not for the faint of heart...

[IMG]Image
Untitled by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]
[Reply]
Dave128 09:09 AM 08-02-2013
I enjoy sriracha on a number of different food items. I have only had the one in the top picture so far.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 11:23 AM 08-02-2013
9 out of 10 women prefer the sauce on the top.
[Reply]
the nub 11:33 AM 08-02-2013
If you like sriracha you should try sambal oelek, made by the same company. It's chunkier and spicier. There's also one that has garlic. Packaging looks very similar to sriracha.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:39 AM 08-02-2013
The top one is the most famous one sold in USA. Not very hot, but well balanced between hot and sweet. Not super popular for nothing!
[Reply]
pektel 11:43 AM 08-02-2013
I have all 3. Go to Huy Fong's website, and you can order a sampler containing a bottle of sriracha, and 2 jars each of the sambal oelek and chili garlic pastes. Each one has it's place. I really like adding the pastes to soups/stews/chili. My favorite is probably the sambal oelek.
[Reply]
Simple1 12:18 PM 08-02-2013
+1 for the one on top. I go through about a bottle every month.
[Reply]
keith_mahoney 04:05 PM 08-02-2013
Originally Posted by Simple1:
+1 for the one on top. I go through about a bottle every month.
Damn, my whole fire station doesn't go through that quick.
[Reply]
fxpose 06:36 PM 08-02-2013
If you grill up some orange marmalade sriracha hot wings you can go through the bottle pretty quickly...
[Reply]
688sonarmen 07:12 PM 08-02-2013
Saw these at the commissary today.
[Reply]
Robulous78 06:02 PM 08-04-2013
So are all sirrachas the same or do tastes vary among brands?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:08 PM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by fxpose:
If you grill up some orange marmalade sriracha hot wings you can go through the bottle pretty quickly...
Ok, you can't drop a bombshell like that and not post a recipe. :-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:07 PM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by Robulous78:
So are all sirrachas the same or do tastes vary among brands?
That's like asking if all cigars taste the same.
[Reply]
Robulous78 10:14 PM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
That's like asking if all cigars taste the same.
LoL ok ok... I mean is it just me, or between manufactures does the taste change and which do you like the most...

And before this turns into another original sriracha love thead... Lets switch gears...

Post all known srirachas other than Huy Fong's here... And I would love that orange marmalade sriracha wings recipe as well...
[Reply]
T.G 10:39 PM 08-04-2013
LoL ok ok... I mean is it just me, or between manufactures does the taste change and which do you like the most...

And before this turns into another original sriracha love thead... Lets switch gears...

Post all known srirachas other than Huy Fong's here... And I would love that orange marmalade sriracha wings recipe as well...

The flavor absolutely changes between manufacturers, as they all have different formulas.

A number of years ago, just to see how Huy Fong Foods version stacked up, a friend of mine and I went on a quest to try as many sriracha sauces as possible, including some imported from Thailand, which is where the style originated.

We must have tried 30+ different brands between us. Including a few that we had shipped over from Hong Kong and Thailand, since they aren't available here (or at least we couldn't find them).

End result, now we know why Huy Fong Foods sriracha is so prevalent on the tables of restaurants across this country and why it's actually exported, in mass quantities, to Asia, Vietnam in particular.

You just can't fvck with perfection.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 10:55 PM 08-04-2013

Amen :-)
[Reply]
Robulous78 03:46 AM 08-06-2013
The flavor absolutely changes between manufacturers, as they all have different formulas.

A number of years ago, just to see how Huy Fong Foods version stacked up, a friend of mine and I went on a quest to try as many sriracha sauces as possible, including some imported from Thailand, which is where the style originated.

We must have tried 30+ different brands between us. Including a few that we had shipped over from Hong Kong and Thailand, since they aren't available here (or at least we couldn't find them).

End result, now we know why Huy Fong Foods sriracha is so prevalent on the tables of restaurants across this country and why it's actually exported, in mass quantities, to Asia, Vietnam in particular.

That's pretty awesome... I might have to see what all I can get my hands on...
[Reply]
pektel 05:12 AM 08-06-2013
That's pretty awesome... I might have to see what all I can get my hands on...
But he already did all the work for you. The best one is a Walmart drive away.

I will say this though: i do equally like tapatio (not sriracha, mind you, but when talking about hot sauces) as its a non-vinegar based hot sauce. Really different flavor.
[Reply]
OLS 06:25 AM 08-06-2013
oh yeah, Tapatio is the shizz. Nowhere near the same, but equally iconic, for good reason.
When I make white cheese sauce, it's half green tomatillo relish and half Tapatio, outside of
all the cheese, anyway.
[Reply]
T.G 09:11 AM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by pektel:

I will say this though: i do equally like tapatio (not sriracha, mind you, but when talking about hot sauces) as its a non-vinegar based hot sauce. Really different flavor.
While it's not the primary or predominate flavor component, such as with Tabasco (which is what I think you might be referring to), there is vinegar in there as acetic acid is the 4th or 5th ingredient in Tapatio. Acetic acid is the pure version of the sour/acidic component in vinegar. White vinegar, for example is typically around 5% acetic acid.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up