Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 83 of 138
« First < 3373818283 848593133 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Doctorossi 02:09 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by Flounder:
Thanks. I know what tar is obviously. But have never experienced this issue, granted I don't smoke real strong cigars.
I've experienced some pretty heavy tar seepage on a couple of not-very-strong cigars, as well. Be prepared.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:12 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Some cigars, often labeled as "strong" produce more tar. Tar is a black viscous fluid that can form on the end of the cigar as you smoke it. It tastes bad. You need to recut your cigar to get rid of it -- and it may come back again.

Tar can often appear to build up more when using a punch because the area you draw through is smaller. For me this is one of the biggest advantages of a cutter over a punch.
Exactly! Thank you.

Originally Posted by Flounder:
What kind of tar issue? I punched for a while, and just recently went back to cutting, but as far as I am aware, I have never had any sort of tar issue? Please explain.
It can ruin my night, ussually I have to perge the crap out of it when it happens and then cut it back a little.
If you punch rather than cut it can work a bit like a funnel for the smoke but also for the tar. I don't know enough about why or how the tar forms but I do know it has only happened once to me when using a cutter and maybe a dozen times using a punch.
[Reply]
mkarnold1 02:18 PM 12-07-2011
If you experience the tar buildup, does cutting the cigar solve the issue?
[Reply]
ir13 02:23 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by mkarnold1:
Cutting, then purging has solved this issue for me on more than one occasion.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:36 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by ir13:
Cutting, then purging has solved this issue for me on more than one occasion.
Yes unless the tar touches your lips, it is horrible!
I was smoking some small mini AFs for a while until I had one that produced all kinds of tar and it got all over my lips before I noticed it. That ruined my night! It doesn't happen often but eventually you will see it if you like to punch!
[Reply]
Doctorossi 02:52 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by mkarnold1:
"Solve" might be strong, but with a combination of some judicious re-cutting, a strong purge and careful smoking, I can usually whip the sucker back into shape. :-)
[Reply]
mkarnold1 03:13 PM 12-07-2011
Thanks for the knowledge guys.
[Reply]
longknocker 03:32 PM 12-07-2011
Also, I Still Smoke Way Too Fast Even After 3+ Years Of Cigar Smoking.:-) Slow Down & Your Cigar Will Taste So Much Better!:-) Less Tar & Harshness!:-)
[Reply]
mkarnold1 04:07 PM 12-07-2011
I smoke very fast as well. Perhaps I just like tar?:-):-)
[Reply]
Carmack 05:48 PM 12-07-2011
Box question: do most boxes come with dates on them?
[Reply]
pnoon 05:55 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by Carmack:
Box question: do most boxes come with dates on them?
With an emphasis on "most"
Cubans - yes.
Non-Cubans - no.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:09 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
With an emphasis on "most"
Cubans - yes.
Non-Cubans - no.
This is changing rapidly. I would say most boutique brands do put dates on boxes now.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:15 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
This is changing rapidly. I would say most boutique brands do put dates on boxes now.
Thank you Mr. Lovebiscuit. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:36 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Yes unless the tar touches your lips, it is horrible!
I was smoking some small mini AFs for a while until I had one that produced all kinds of tar and it got all over my lips before I noticed it. That ruined my night! It doesn't happen often but eventually you will see it if you like to punch!
Although one of my favorite smokes, I think that the AF Hemingway's are the "tarriest" sticks that I smoke... I almost never have tar on any other stick and I have had tar on many AF sticks... I suspect it may be related to higher nicotine content, but have no data to back this up.
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 09:26 PM 12-09-2011
oh i want to bump this thread and my cousin asked me this and I don't know how to answer it. "how come some smokes make a lot of smoke and some don't"? so what does everyone think here?
[Reply]
T.G 11:43 PM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by sonic_mike:
oh i want to bump this thread and my cousin asked me this and I don't know how to answer it. "how come some smokes make a lot of smoke and some don't"? so what does everyone think here?
Combustion and the roll. Good burn and lots of air passages will give you a ton of smoke. Restricting either will reduce the total volume of smoke.

Lots of things can play into the combustion - leaf type, how it's packed, how moist it is, how high the ambient humidity is where you are smoking, etc. The roll, or air passages are mostly all governed by how the cigar was bunched, but can also be affected by how moist the cigar is (wet cigars, the leaves can swell and cause a restricted or tight draw).

Might also want to take a look at these comments from Steve Saka (President, Drew Estates), as he talks about his cigars, but explains in a bit more detail than I've given here.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=51516
[Reply]
theonlybear4CORT 03:12 PM 12-10-2011
Thanks Adam.
[Reply]
Diths0er 11:47 AM 12-12-2011
How low does the RH have to go before a cigar is noticeably damaged in flavour? I realize that it's all subjective, but there has to be some sort of general area, such as below 60, below 50, etc. for a week, a month, what-have-you. I don't mean actual wrapper cracking and falling apart, just the point where the oils and sugars begin to dissipate in a way that affects the enjoyment of the stick.
[Reply]
kydsid 03:02 PM 12-12-2011
Originally Posted by Diths0er:
How low does the RH have to go before a cigar is noticeably damaged in flavour? I realize that it's all subjective, but there has to be some sort of general area, such as below 60, below 50, etc. for a week, a month, what-have-you. I don't mean actual wrapper cracking and falling apart, just the point where the oils and sugars begin to dissipate in a way that affects the enjoyment of the stick.

Flavor is subjective to the person and from cigar to cigar. But, long term storage (read years) below 55% will most like do some damage. The lower from there the shorter it will take because its relative to the differential in the environment to the cigar.

So say its stored at 20% for a month. That would most likely ruin the cigar, but a month at 50% most likely wouldn't, it may alter it but outright ruin is debatable.
[Reply]
longknocker 03:24 PM 12-12-2011
My Cigars Are Lower RH In The Winter: 60-63. They Seem To Smoke Fine, Though. I Prefer 63-65.:-)
[Reply]
Page 83 of 138
« First < 3373818283 848593133 > Last »
Up