Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 33 of 70
« First < 23313233 343543 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
cricky101 12:14 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Thanks, Gerard!
You are the second person to comment on the green, and I'm a bit lost.
The hops that the homebrew store gave me were little green pellets that resembled rabbit poop.
I tossed the poop directly into the boil.
I did not use a bag, nor did I filter anything.
What went into the boil went into the bucket, minus the sock of grains I steeped before I boiled.
Should I have done something different.
The directions that came with the recipe, or the other 2 I brewed since then, made no mention of additional steps.
Did I miss something?

Fwiw the brew is a perfect amber ale color, no hint of green in it.
I've left the hop material behind in the brew kettle and dumped it all in the fermenter, too. They all have turned out fine.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 12:24 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Thanks, Gerard!
You are the second person to comment on the green, and I'm a bit lost.
The hops that the homebrew store gave me were little green pellets that resembled rabbit poop.
I tossed the poop directly into the boil.
I did not use a bag, nor did I filter anything.
What went into the boil went into the bucket, minus the sock of grains I steeped before I boiled.
Should I have done something different.
The directions that came with the recipe, or the other 2 I brewed since then, made no mention of additional steps.
Did I miss something?

Fwiw the brew is a perfect amber ale color, no hint of green in it.
Okay, that's what I expected happened. I always filter my wort from the brew kettle going to the primary, I find it makes transferring the beer easier if they're not around to clog the racking cane/autosiphon. But there's nothing wrong with leaving them in, I'm sure your beer will be fine!
[Reply]
jonumberone 12:28 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by cricky101:
I've left the hop material behind in the brew kettle and dumped it all in the fermenter, too. They all have turned out fine.
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Okay, that's what I expected happened. I always filter my wort from the brew kettle going to the primary, I find it makes transferring the beer easier if they're not around to clog the racking cane/autosiphon. But there's nothing wrong with leaving them in, I'm sure your beer will be fine!
Thanks fellas! :-)
[Reply]
CigarSquid 11:31 AM 09-04-2011
Nothing yet... Just ordered a Pumpkin Ale for the upcoming holidays.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 05:09 PM 09-04-2011
I just transferred a Big Porter to secondary with 2ounces of oak cubes.
I am trying to decide what kind of bourbon to add. I am thinking about changing it up a bit and using some Evan Williams Honey!
[Reply]
kaisersozei 10:48 AM 09-06-2011
Brewed up a DIPA yesterday, pitched with one of my last batches of Hopslam yeast. Used a burst hop technique with Simcoe, Amarillo & Citra, got around 85 IBUs. My efficiency on the mash was only about 60% :-) so OG was a bit light at 1.071. Will add some honey to the primary after a few days.
[Reply]
b0rderman 11:49 AM 09-06-2011
sounds like yummmmmm
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:22 AM 09-12-2011
I enjoyed my first bottles of homebrew while watching football yesterday!
Perhaps too many, as I passed out before the Jet game! :-)
I found the first 3 overly bitter on the finish, after that it didn't matter, and the rest went down smooth.

I decided to call myself the "Nail The Whale Brewery", to honor the loving embrace of all the fat chicks beer has lead me to.
I also made labels for my bottles, and had a buddy design a logo for me.
What do you guys think?

[Reply]
b0rderman 10:34 AM 09-12-2011
ha that's awesome! and congrats!

Citra Otter Blonde went into bottles this weekend...I'm very excited for this one, it's my best tasting brew out of the carboy so far.

Half of my super dry cider goes on peaches later this week.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:59 PM 09-12-2011
[Reply]
Mikes 11:32 AM 09-13-2011
10 gal of bombshell blonde
10 gal of jester king commercial suicide

The citra pale ale that came out and was kegged was by far the best beer I have ever made...were talking out of 200gal here. Great kit from AHS!
[Reply]
CigarSquid 12:03 PM 09-13-2011
What is AHS?
[Reply]
CigarSquid 12:04 PM 09-13-2011
I'm waiting for my pumpkin ale to show up.. Prolly start it this weekend.
[Reply]
cricky101 12:04 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
What is AHS?
Austin Homebrew Supply.

I'm going to see about a chest freezer on craigslist after work to turn into a keezer. I'm sick of bottling and the girlfriend says all the gear can be an early birthday present.

I'm thinking four kegs to start ... :-)
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 02:17 PM 09-13-2011
I have posted this before but here is a pic of my kegerator from a small dorm fridge that I bought off of Craigslist for $50. It holds 2 5gal kegs.
Best thing I ever did. I cant imagine ever bottling again!
Attached: Kegaerator.jpg (9.0 KB) 
[Reply]
rack04 01:11 PM 09-14-2011
Originally Posted by cricky101:
Austin Homebrew Supply.

I'm going to see about a chest freezer on craigslist after work to turn into a keezer. I'm sick of bottling and the girlfriend says all the gear can be an early birthday present.

I'm thinking four kegs to start ... :-)
I haven't looked back since I started kegging.
[Reply]
kenstogie 10:54 AM 09-20-2011
Cider is in there now. Crashing it now, later today I add the brown sugar, non fermentable sugar and add the Champagne yeast.
[Reply]
mhailey 09:18 PM 09-24-2011
I just bottled my first batch of home brew, a Fat Tire clone. I tasted it when I was filling the bottles and for a flat, warm beer, it tasted good. I now have a batch of Maple Nut Brown Ale in the fermenter which I just cooked up tonight. I'm looking forward to trying the beer once it carbonates and refrigerated. I can see why people do this. This is a ton of fun.

Matt
Attached: 2011-09-24_19-41-13_884.jpg (42.4 KB) 
[Reply]
Trace63 09:54 PM 09-24-2011
Have some cider fermenting now, brewing some saison next
[Reply]
cricky101 10:03 PM 09-24-2011
Originally Posted by rack04:
I haven't looked back since I started kegging.
I picked up 3 ball lock kegs, dual gauge regulator and 5lb co2 tank from a guy on craigslist for $75 earlier this week. Still need a fridge or freezer, but I'm getting close! :-)
[Reply]
Page 33 of 70
« First < 23313233 343543 > Last »
Up