Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Misinformation from AARP
icehog3 03:28 PM 11-07-2018
This was part of an AARP article on "TSA’s 5 Holiday Travel Tips to Get Through Security" that I received via e-mail today.

TSA agents are confused enough without "help" from the AARP.

Originally Posted by :
5. Don’t bring along prohibited items.
It seems like common sense, but every day the TSA finds banned items that passengers say they mistakenly left in their carry-on bag or pocket. From guns to box cutters to corkscrews to cigar cutters — they’re all forbidden in carry-on bags.
Lastly, an extra tip. Though you can’t bring bottled water through security, you can drink it while in line and then refill the bottle on the other side. This will save you a few dollars before you take off.

[Reply]
markem 03:33 PM 11-07-2018
Crap! That is 180 degrees from the law!
[Reply]
Weelok 04:02 PM 11-07-2018
I put my cigar cutter in my checked bags because TSA people are the dumbest people on the planet with almost unlimited power. They lack reasoning and sensible problem solving skills. I have seen them confiscate a box of custom hand rolled flies used for fishing. Hmmmmm, I imagine the TSA agent had a Bass fishing trip coming up. Upon protesting that fish hooks as insignificant, he called the Marshal.

Here is the official statement from TSA:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../cigar-cutters

Now I also travel with carry on four boxes of matches and a Bic lighter but I don’t care if they confiscate those although they never have.

Bottom line, only carry on what your willing to donate to TSA.
[Reply]
icehog3 04:11 PM 11-07-2018
Originally Posted by Weelok:
I put my cigar cutter in my checked bags because TSA people are the dumbest people on the planet with almost unlimited power. They lack reasoning and sensible problem solving skills. I have seen them confiscate a box of custom hand rolled flies used for fishing. Hmmmmm, I imagine the TSA agent had a Bass fishing trip coming up. Upon protesting that fish hooks as insignificant, he called the Marshal.

Here is the official statement from TSA:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../cigar-cutters

Now I also travel with carry on four boxes of matches and a Bic lighter but I don’t care if they confiscate those although they never have.

Bottom line, only carry on what your willing to donate to TSA.
Unfortunately I fly with carry-on bags only about 90% of the time I fly, so I won't even bring one of my good cutters on vacation or to a cross country herf. Unbelievable that so many agents don't even understand their own agency's policies.
[Reply]
dave 10:38 AM 11-08-2018
Originally Posted by Weelok:
TSA people are the dumbest people on the planet with almost unlimited power. They lack reasoning and sensible problem solving skills. .
My experience has been 100% the opposite. They are generally well trained, incredibly friendly considering the mostly thankless, stressed, impatient and unfriendly 'customers' anywhere. And they are doing one of the single most important jobs of anyone I will encounter that day.
[Reply]
T.G 11:59 AM 11-08-2018
That's some seriously dated information, like from 17 years ago.

Then again, it is AARP, so they move kind of slow.
[Reply]
SurfnSafari 01:12 PM 11-08-2018
Problem with TSA is a lot of their Agents, are not up to snuff on most recent do, don't can have, and can not haves.

Good News is their web-site is normally current.
[Reply]
colimo 02:21 PM 11-08-2018
i generally travel with one of those cheap cutters you always get at giveaways, and a ronson jet lite in my carryone, not the best products, but adequate enough to do the job, and they make it through 95% of the time, if not, i've only lost about $ 5 bucks
[Reply]
icehog3 10:46 AM 11-09-2018
Originally Posted by dave:
My experience has been 100% the opposite. They are generally well trained, incredibly friendly considering the mostly thankless, stressed, impatient and unfriendly 'customers' anywhere. And they are doing one of the single most important jobs of anyone I will encounter that day.
Definitely true, Dave, didn't mean to tear apart the whole organization for a relatively minor issue. Just noting that AARP was putting some bad info out to their millions of members, and my reasons for not bringing any decent cutters on vacation. :-)
[Reply]
Up