Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Why do we pay for 'service' when it's this poor?
Mindflux 07:55 AM 06-14-2010
I had Sears come and bring a new oven this Saturday. The first thing the installer tells me is they cannot reuse my old power cord. (Sears didn't tell me that when I bought the oven?)

So ok, I can install it since it's a "liability" thing, it's just a couple screws. The guy kinda walks me through it but neglects to tell me to take the strain-relief bracket off the old oven and put it on the new oven. (I don't find this out till he's gone with my old oven)

So they try sliding my new oven in and realize the old anti-tip bracket that's attached to the floor isn't positioned right for the new stove. You figure they'd fix that, right? Nope! They just remove the old bracket and tell me I need a "professional installer" to come put the new bracket in. (Really? Isn't that why you guys are here?) To top it off they ran off with the anti-tip bracket that came with the new stove, so when they come 'remedy' the problem I'm not sure if they are gonna have the right hardware to do the install (can they reuse my old bracket? who knows!)

So I called Sears customer service this morning and told them both of these problems need to be remedied. What the heck is going on these days?

:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 05:05 PM 06-14-2010
That might be one of the reasons that Sears is going out of business.
[Reply]
Mindflux 05:09 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
That and their contractors are terrible!!
[Reply]
neoflex 05:45 PM 06-14-2010
I bought a Washer and Dryer from them and bought the service contract for 5 years for both. Recently we had some issues with the Dryer and it literally took 5 visits to get the problem remedied. Most of this was because the first 3 times they sent the same guy and he was just band aiding the problem rather than ordering the needed replacement parts. When the second guy came on the 4th visit he ordered a crap load of parts and came back a week later to install them. Problems solved. I think they finally sent a new tech because I ended up taking the thing apart a saw new parts were needed and chewed the CS rep a new one and said their tech was incompetent.
The problem is a good portion of society just doesn't take pride in their work anymore and just do enough to get by and collect a paycheck.
[Reply]
captain53 06:05 PM 06-14-2010
I buy non-powered hand tools at Sears and nothing else. Bought a new refrigerator from them 30 years ago and after paying them $50 for delivery before the Christmas Holiday got it a week late after days of hell raising with them. Sorry Bustards and yes that is why they are broke. :-)
[Reply]
thebayratt 06:30 PM 06-14-2010
I am the delivery manager for a local Lowe's and here is my 2cents:

1. They (Sears) should have told you at the point of purchase that you need either a 3 or 4wire cord. I deffinately wouldn't suggest using an old cord. I have seen some that are litterally burnt/melted on the ends. I wouldn't even plug the new stove in that the box needed to be replaced asap. Old cords can (I didn't say will) void a warranty in some cases.
They should have sold you one (or both cords if you aren't sure.)

2. The anti-strain is required in some areas and some areas they are not... If you don't plan on moving your stove in and out of the hole alot..... i wouldn't worry about it too much. The Range cords are usually pretty thick insulated. You can get a "romex connector" and it screws to the oven hole where the cord goes through and clamps to the cord to keep it from rubbing.
But they should have taken it off for you.

3. Anti-tip bracket. We (Lowe's) don't/can't install them either. Think of it this way, would you want them yahoos drilling into your floor? Kind-of like they won't let us install them either, bc we don't know whats under/in your floor. There is actually a disclaimer on a delivery ticket saying we do not install them. There are houses up off the ground with electrical and water lines that run under the floor. Imagine drilling through one of those.
I wouldn't worry at all about the bracket; unless you plan on making love on your oven door while its open, or you have kids that like to dance on your oven door. Ovens are decently heavy, if you are cooking something heavy enough that when you set it on the door and your oven tips over...... the racks inside won't hold it either~
Yes, most anti tip brackets are resuable. All they do is catch the back leg and hold it to the ground; its just a matter of positioning it.

Sears usally has third party delivery crews (they aren't Sear's employees)(basically subcontractors). That means less liability for Sears. Sears is known for long waits for appliances, many stores only have displays with an area warehouse with the actual products.
BTW Lowe's has free delivery within 100miles of the store.
[Reply]
G G 06:38 PM 06-14-2010
Lowes usually gets my money. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:08 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
:-) Ya think?
[Reply]
neoflex 07:11 PM 06-14-2010
Lowes made me laugh this weekend. They had one of those tent type gazebos. 10' x 12' and the sign said $20 for assembly. We happen to be in the market for one since ours collapsed from the weight of ice this past winter. So I asked the guy working at Lowes "So you guys come to the house and assemble it correct?" His response was "No, we assemble it here and you bring it home pre-assembled." Me "Seriously?" Him, "Yeah Why?" Me "So if that is the case just how do you suppose I transport it, it's 10' x 12'?" Him, "Yeah, it is pretty big and probably wouldn't fit on a flat bed." Me "So do you guys rent choppers so I can fly it to the house. Him "Ah no" Me "OK, well thanks anyway." At this point he was not amused but just how does Lowes expect a person to transport this monstrosity?
[Reply]
captain53 07:42 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by neoflex:
Lowes made me laugh this weekend. They had one of those tent type gazebos. 10' x 12' and the sign said $20 for assembly. We happen to be in the market for one since ours collapsed from the weight of ice this past winter. So I asked the guy working at Lowes "So you guys come to the house and assemble it correct?" His response was "No, we assemble it here and you bring it home pre-assembled." Me "Seriously?" Him, "Yeah Why?" Me "So if that is the case just how do you suppose I transport it, it's 10' x 12'?" Him, "Yeah, it is pretty big and probably wouldn't fit on a flat bed." Me "So do you guys rent choppers so I can fly it to the house. Him "Ah no" Me "OK, well thanks anyway." At this point he was not amused but just how does Lowes expect a person to transport this monstrosity?
[Reply]
JaKaacH 08:08 PM 06-14-2010
He must have missed lug nut day...:-)
[Reply]
thebayratt 08:13 PM 06-14-2010
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Lowes usually gets my money. :-)
Mine too and I work there

....but just how does Lowes expect a person to transport this monstrosity?
Very Carefully
[Reply]
Mindflux 09:28 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by thebayratt:
I am the delivery manager for a local Lowe's and here is my 2cents:

1. They (Sears) should have told you at the point of purchase that you need either a 3 or 4wire cord. I deffinately wouldn't suggest using an old cord. I have seen some that are litterally burnt/melted on the ends. I wouldn't even plug the new stove in that the box needed to be replaced asap. Old cords can (I didn't say will) void a warranty in some cases.
They should have sold you one (or both cords if you aren't sure.)
Maybe so, but the "old" cord is at most 5 years old. I inspected it for anything I could detect visually and saw no problems with it.

Originally Posted by :

2. The anti-strain is required in some areas and some areas they are not... If you don't plan on moving your stove in and out of the hole alot..... i wouldn't worry about it too much. The Range cords are usually pretty thick insulated. You can get a "romex connector" and it screws to the oven hole where the cord goes through and clamps to the cord to keep it from rubbing.
But they should have taken it off for you.
I know, it's just the principal of the thing. I have an 11 month old daughter and even though she's not going to move the stove I have my mind on safety, no matter what it is.

Originally Posted by :
3. Anti-tip bracket. We (Lowe's) don't/can't install them either. Think of it this way, would you want them yahoos drilling into your floor? Kind-of like they won't let us install them either, bc we don't know whats under/in your floor. There is actually a disclaimer on a delivery ticket saying we do not install them. There are houses up off the ground with electrical and water lines that run under the floor. Imagine drilling through one of those.
I wouldn't worry at all about the bracket; unless you plan on making love on your oven door while its open, or you have kids that like to dance on your oven door. Ovens are decently heavy, if you are cooking something heavy enough that when you set it on the door and your oven tips over...... the racks inside won't hold it either~
Yes, most anti tip brackets are resuable. All they do is catch the back leg and hold it to the ground; its just a matter of positioning it.
I actually called sears to gripe about the anti-strain bracket and anti-tip bracket and the Rep in the delivery dept said that they usually take care of both of these. I've actually got an appointment for tomorrow to have this problem remedied. Yes, I know you'd need to dance on the door to get it to tip but as I said above it's all about safety even if my daughter isn't in any "real" danger.

When I bought the home the inspector I used made such a big stink about having that anti-tip bracket in place. So when it comes time to sell this house I'd rather not have to deal with it then if an interested party has their inspector find it missing and makes a stink of it.

Originally Posted by :
Sears usally has third party delivery crews (they aren't Sear's employees)(basically subcontractors). That means less liability for Sears. Sears is known for long waits for appliances, many stores only have displays with an area warehouse with the actual products.
BTW Lowe's has free delivery within 100miles of the store.
What's funny is when Sears tried to sell me a warranty they said they use their own employees to do the work, not contractors. I wonder if that's a line of BS. And yes, I waited about 25 days for them to get my oven 'in stock'.
[Reply]
neoflex 09:42 AM 06-16-2010
I know around here they show up in A&E vans. Not sure if they are under the same umbrella but that's the name on the vans when they show up for warranty work.
[Reply]
Mindflux 09:44 AM 06-16-2010
I know around here they show up in A&E vans. Not sure if they are under the same umbrella but that's the name on the vans when they show up for warranty work.
When the Sears "installer" came and did my dishwasher back in January he came in what had to be his personal truck. It was a rust bucket and it leaked oil on my driveway.

I think the guys the came and did the oven were in an A&E van though.
[Reply]
Parshooter 09:49 AM 06-16-2010
I guess I've been lucky with Sears. Recently bought a washer and dryer, great service during the sale and delivery/installation. Have had our fridge fixed once and had to have some replacement parts delivered and never had a problem.
[Reply]
Mindflux 09:50 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by Parshooter:
I guess I've been lucky with Sears. Recently bought a washer and dryer, great service during the sale and delivery/installation. Have had our fridge fixed once and had to have some replacement parts delivered and never had a problem.
Overall the experience fairs a bit worse than BestBuy when they delivered our W/D and Fridge. No problems with either of those... but they don't require extra safety stuff like anti-tip brackets.

[Reply]
Tenor CS 09:52 AM 06-16-2010
I have to say, I am impressed when I go into Lowe's. The stores are big, clean, and well-lit. If I need help, I can find someone in under 60 seconds. If I ask them where something is, they speak English, and they know. And in the very rare cases where they don't know, they can find out quickly. I never get the "it's not my department" blow-off.
[Reply]
Mindflux 09:54 AM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by Tenor CS:
I have to say, I am impressed when I go into Lowe's. The stores are big, clean, and well-lit. If I need help, I can find someone in under 60 seconds. If I ask them where something is, they speak English, and they know. And in the very rare cases where they don't know, they can find out quickly. I never get the "it's not my department" blow-off.

I like lowes too. I would have bought the Stove there, but Sears price matched Lowes on the memorial day sale. But the topping on the cake was I'll get back 8% bing cashback from buying through sears.com. That's almost like not having to pay tax on the sale.

So I come out about $67 ahead with the bing transaction.
[Reply]
shilala 10:16 AM 06-16-2010
Sears makes my head hurt. They really went to crap. We bought everything from Sears for a long, long time. Now I buy garden hoses there.
I buy tons of stuff at Lowes, but haven't bought an appliance that I can remember.
My girlfriend bought a fridge at Sears a few months ago, I took a trailer to pick it up.
I wish I'd had a video camera. To watch them go through not knowing what we were talking about, where it was, and trying to get two old guys and a kid to get it on the trailer, it was priceless.
It's sad. They used to be awesome.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up