Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Sealing a tower. Cuz Shilala made me
sevans105 07:10 PM 12-02-2012
So, I PM'd Scott (Shilala) about a humidification issue and whether beads would help. He let me know that an unsealed tower is essentially trying hard to humidify my entire basement and that I'm a dumbass. (I'm paraphrasing here....he actually was really nice)

So, per his request, is the re-seal project.

The beginning. Stuff stacked on top, kinda messy.

The active system.

[Reply]
sevans105 07:17 PM 12-02-2012
The shelves, drawers and boxes stacked up.

And then into the coolidors.

More pics to come!
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 07:25 PM 12-02-2012
Looks like a fun project.
[Reply]
sevans105 07:29 PM 12-02-2012
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
Looks like a fun project.
Fun? Not really. Kind of a pain in the ass. But necessary. I was refilling the active system once a week and getting serious variation in levels. So, the project begins.
[Reply]
sevans105 07:32 PM 12-02-2012
Off to the store to buy the necessary items. Yes, the jelly beans are critical to the success of the project. It's not the low odor silicone, so I'll have to let it cure and ventilate for a while before restocking...and the requisite re-seasoning.
[Reply]
never_enough 07:43 PM 12-02-2012
Might not be a fun project, but the outcome should be more than worth it. Keep us updated!
[Reply]
hscmit 07:44 PM 12-02-2012
good luck
[Reply]
sevans105 08:36 PM 12-02-2012
On to the sealing....not a lot of story here. I sealed both the interior and exterior joints throughout the tower. The only areas where I couldn't get to on the inside were inside the drawer areas....just too small to get my hand/gun in there.

[Reply]
sevans105 08:40 PM 12-02-2012

Obviously, I am not the neatest of silicone-ers. But I'm really glad I finally did this project. I found a spot on the back that had about a 1/4 inch gap between the backer board and the frame. Fixed that and sealed. Should be much better now.

Thanks for the motivation Scott!

Now the crappy waiting begins.
[Reply]
dwoodward 08:55 PM 12-02-2012
I'm not exactly a wood worker, but a part of me wonders if you could take some sand paper and sand down the silicone you just added once it hardens, so it's not so messy looking.
[Reply]
sevans105 09:15 PM 12-02-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
I'm not exactly a wood worker, but a part of me wonders if you could take some sand paper and sand down the silicone you just added once it hardens, so it's not so messy looking.
I thought a razor blade might work too.
[Reply]
Zane 10:21 PM 12-02-2012
Nice work!
[Reply]
TJarv 10:40 PM 12-02-2012
What kind of tower is that?
[Reply]
sevans105 11:33 PM 12-02-2012
Originally Posted by TJarv:
What kind of tower is that?
Not exactly sure, as I bought it for 200 bucks on Craigslist. But this is pretty close. It has different shelving, but the structure is the same.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...2000-DS&cat=10
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:02 AM 12-03-2012
Nice to get this project taken care of Scott! Thanks for sharing your process.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 08:27 AM 12-03-2012
Wait. You are a giants fan AND a Jets fan? Doesn't that break some unwritten law?

:-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:03 AM 12-03-2012
Looking good, brother!!! :-)
And no, you can't sand silicone. But there's a neat trick to keep it from sticking all over you and you can run your finger on it and make a perfect bead.
Rubbing alcohol. The white stuff, not wintergreen. You put it in a little spray bottle. Lay down a bead of silicone and squirt your fingers and the bead. Run your finger down it and nothing sticks to your fingers and it goes where you want it.
I understand the irony of letting go that little gem now instead of before you started. It's making me smile. :-)
[Reply]
mkarnold1 09:12 AM 12-03-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
I understand the irony of letting go that little gem now instead of before you started. It's making me smile. :-)
:-):-) Nice Scott!! (Both of you)
[Reply]
sevans105 09:33 AM 12-03-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Looking good, brother!!! :-)
And no, you can't sand silicone. But there's a neat trick to keep it from sticking all over you and you can run your finger on it and make a perfect bead.
Rubbing alcohol. The white stuff, not wintergreen. You put it in a little spray bottle. Lay down a bead of silicone and squirt your fingers and the bead. Run your finger down it and nothing sticks to your fingers and it goes where you want it.
Great advice Scott. I'll remember it the next time I decide to seal a huge humidor. :-)

Perhaps someone else can benefit from your sage and almost timely advice.
[Reply]
iaMkcK 11:25 AM 12-03-2012
lol, nice job. I enjoyed the pictures and the ensuing conversation. Hope to hear if the humidity holds now!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up