Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Diamonds are Forever
WaxingMoon 07:21 PM 11-18-2012
It's been a good couple of days.....

Started yesterday with a bunch of boards... and finished up like this.... Here's the woods.... Top left to bottom right...

Top Row: Bubinga & Wenge / Figured Birch & Bloodwood
2nd Row: Walnut / Northern Cherry & Southern Cherry / Figured Birch & Bloodwood
3rd Row: Butternut & Walnut / Walnut & Zebrawood / Figured Birch & Leopardwood
4th Row: Walnut / Butternut & Walnut / Figured Birch & Sapele / Male & Cherry

Today, the task at hand was diamonds out of 1/4" stock.... which started out as 4/4 stock.... so, needless to say, a lot of milling....

Got the first row glued up on seven of 'em... only six in this picture.... but, I got individual pics following...

The lid panels below will all go in to a box with the corresponding wood (at least two species) above.... I did keep up with which scrap was milled down from which box to try to keep it all consistent. The third species to creat the effect, well... that was mostly scrap that I had and boy, what a great way to use it!!!

I should have listened to my girlfriend a long, long time ago (on so many levels)..... this was her idea and there in, lies the confidence.

First up....

Cherry, Maple & Walnut - goes with the large Maple & Cherry box above in row 4....

Next up..... Figured Birch, Bloodwood & Pink Ivory..... going with the Figured Birch & Bloodwood box in row 2 above. The other Figured Birch & Bloodwood box in row 1 is going to be a keepsake box and will get a totally different treatment.

[Reply]
WaxingMoon 07:22 PM 11-18-2012
Next up.... Butternut, Walnut & Macassar Ebony.... going with the Butternut & Walnut box in row 3 above.

Next.... Bubinga, Wenge & Cocobolo.... going with the Bubinga & Wenge box in row 1.

Next up.... Sapele, Figured Birch & Honduran Rosewood.... going with the Figured Birch & Sapele box in row 3.

Next up... Walnut, Zebrawood & Macassar Ebony.... going with the Walnut & Zebrawood box in row 3.

And the last one that I got glued up today..... Figured Birch, Leopardwood & Koa (lovin' my scraps).... going with the Figured Birch & Leopardwood box in row 4.

[Reply]
WaxingMoon 07:22 PM 11-18-2012
That's all I got glued up today..... tomorrow I will get these two started..... Northern Cherry, Southern Cherry & Brazilian Cherry on the left..... Butternut, Walnut & Zebrawood on the right....

Note: the two solid walnut boxes above... are getting different lids altogether...

Stay tuned.... and thanks for looking......

I think I'll go play some tetris now.....
[Reply]
Ogre 07:58 PM 11-18-2012
All I have to say is DAMN!!!!!!
[Reply]
Angry_Pirate 08:01 PM 11-18-2012
Very cool Ed!!
[Reply]
never_enough 08:04 PM 11-18-2012
Another fun project to watch. Awesome
[Reply]
363 08:06 PM 11-18-2012
that is awesome man!
[Reply]
the jiggler 09:45 PM 11-18-2012
Very,very cool. One of these days when the four kids are out on their own, I am gonna be giving you a call!
[Reply]
Robulous78 10:27 PM 11-18-2012
Wow... Looks Amazing... Love the pictures :-)
[Reply]
Eleven 06:09 AM 11-19-2012
I love the look and the effort you put into those. But you know the only thing that goes through my head when I see that pattern?

[Reply]
Nelenea 08:59 AM 11-19-2012
Wow:-)
[Reply]
WaxingMoon 07:23 PM 11-19-2012
Round two.... not going to say too much.... my eyes are buggy too! Each lid gets 45 each of the 3 species.... for a total of 135 each... plus a few extras, just in case.... I'm doing 9 of them... so, I spend a great deal of the day... at the table saw....talking to my girl, thinking of about a zillion other things.... than cutting more than 1,215 of these #&%! diamonds..... lol

Managed to get 4 of them glued up and trimmed.... we'll se how tomorrow goes....

I missed a pic of one or three... but, I'll get it up here tomorrow.

Here's what the end of the day looked like today... phew!!!

Figured Birch, Bloodwood & Pink Ivory

Bubinga, Wenge & Cocobolo

Butternut, Walnut & Macassar Ebony

Figured Birch, Leopardwood & Koa

[Reply]
WaxingMoon 07:24 PM 11-19-2012
Butternut, Walnut & FIgured Birch

North & South - Northern Cherry, Southern Cherry & Brazilian Cherr7

Walnut, Zebrawood & Macassar Ebony

[Reply]
dwoodward 07:39 PM 11-19-2012
Oh my god! Those look amazing! Keep up the good work Ed!
[Reply]
TJarv 09:41 PM 11-19-2012
Must resist.....
[Reply]
Boz 10:39 PM 11-19-2012
Good grief Ed! Simply gorgeous.
[Reply]
WaxingMoon 05:19 PM 11-22-2012
Coming along nicely.... I made 9 of these, of which 7 will be available for sale.... Rounded turn 3 and hauling a$$ down the back stretch.... should have some good pics in the next couple of days....

Here's the Walnut, Zebrawood & Macassar Ebony humidor as she sits right now.

Still need to do some inlay along the bottom and cove the lid.... But, she's starting to take form....

Thanks for looking....

[Reply]
PCR 05:46 PM 11-22-2012
Absolute eye candy!
[Reply]
never_enough 07:09 PM 11-22-2012
Gorgeous! These are going to look amazing!!!!!!
[Reply]
Cigar Mike 07:59 PM 11-22-2012
Amazing work...good job!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up