Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>V-Cutter
cjhalbrooks 10:44 AM 12-07-2012
i have always though about getting a V Cutter but i am content with my punch and straight cutter. Unless you could talk me into it.
[Reply]
T.G 10:54 AM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Can anybody recommend a good one? They all seem kinda cheap to me.
I too have been thinking about trying V-cutters, I feel like we just had this thread... or... poll... :-)

The Xikar don't look bad:
Here are some interesting ones:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25130

The Xikar and the Wolf cutter mentioned in the first post of that thread have the exact same blade, all that differs is the housing. On the Xikar it's a polycarbonate & metal housing, on the Wolf it's plastic. I have one of the Wolf cutters and while it cuts brilliantly, it does feel a bit light in hand.

The main difference with the Wolf & Xikar V-cutters versus the other V-cutters out there is that where on the other V-cutters the first part of the blade to contact the cigar is the point that forms the deepest part of the V and you shove this point into the cigar and it cuts outward towards the cap, on the Xikar/Wolf it's the other way around, the blades are raked the other way so first part of the blade to contact the cigar is at the cap and it slices inward towards the apex of the V.

If you have a dryer or more fragile cigar, the inward slicing motion of the Xikar/Wolf should be a bit less of an impact and would hopefully reduce the chances of cracking the head of the cigar. I've also found that the Xikar/wolf leaves a very clean cut with no shredding, tearing or loose tobacco left behind. I can't say the same for the other design V cutters I have, but in all fairness, my other V-cutters are either not on the same quality level (el $2.50 cheapo from CI) or older and duller (Donatus & Dunhill co-branded by Donatus).

The Wolf cutter is distributed by Xikar and carries the same lifetime warranty as far as I know.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:03 AM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by 363:
Cole picked one up at the VCM herf. Where are you finding these latest pick ups
Ebay.

Thanks for the info Adam, I didn't know Wolf was from Xikar.
[Reply]
T.G 11:14 AM 12-07-2012
Ebay.

Thanks for the info Adam, I didn't know Wolf was from Xikar.
I don't think it's actually from Xikar, my understanding is that it's sort of the other way around; Wolf makes the Wolf cutter and they sell the exact same blade as what is in their cutter to Xikar. Xikar distributes and (I believe) warranties the Wolf cutter in the US.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:31 AM 12-07-2012
Found a pic of the blade you are describing:
[Reply]
Tallman 11:35 AM 12-07-2012
+1 for the Xikar, used it last night.
[Reply]
Coach Deg 12:08 PM 12-07-2012
I love my Xikar v-cutter!!! And I grabbed one of monster today as a gift for $30!!!
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:57 PM 12-07-2012
So, Shane, Adam and others I have a question for you.

I know cigars are all about personal preference; I have used both a punch and traditional cutter. Never tried a V cutter. My experience with punch cuts is that they seem to collect more tar faster than a traditional flat cut so I only use a punch on small RG cigars. The result is that I prefer the regular flat cut overall.

So here is the $64,000 question: what makes the V cut better (or worse) than a "traditional" flag cut?
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:27 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
So, Shane, Adam and others I have a question for you.

I know cigars are all about personal preference; I have used both a punch and traditional cutter. Never tried a V cutter. My experience with punch cuts is that they seem to collect more tar faster than a traditional flat cut so I only use a punch on small RG cigars. The result is that I prefer the regular flat cut overall.

So here is the $64,000 question: what makes the V cut better (or worse) than a "traditional" flag cut?
I have experienced tar (1-2 times out of maybe 20) in some recent v-cuts. My v-cut is a bit shallow and I am hoping that the depth of the Xikar will resolve that issue. V-cuts seem to preserve much more of the cap compared to a horizantal cut. They also "seem" to draw better (May be in my head). The V doesn't crush a cap like a straight cutter can occasionally do.
From what I understand, the V shape creates more surface area, which is good for burn and draw.

All I know for sure is I like to use the V, maybe just because it is something new to me. It seems to do a great cut and never damages the cap. Once I get it figured out I imagine I will use a few different cutters based on RG.
[Reply]
T.G 01:29 PM 12-07-2012
Honestly Michael, I typically use a flat cut and I have never noticed much, if any, difference in how the cigar smokes with a V-cut versus a straight cut. The draw is a little bit more restricted with a v-cut, so on the gargantuan ring gauge cigars there is actually some resistance and not like breathing through a snorkel.
[Reply]
T.G 01:41 PM 12-07-2012
From what I understand, the V shape creates more surface area, which is good for burn and draw.
Would have to do the math on that one, but I think it's really just splitting hairs. One thing about the construction of the cigars is that the flat cut will expose all, or nearly all, of the air channels created by the bunching & rolling, the V-cut will not, so even if you have more surface area exposed, it's across a reduced number of orifices, which means that, since pressure is a constant, you will have to increase the velocity to get the same volume of air through the cigar (drawing harder). This increase might help the burn, but again, I think it's really trivial/minor differences here.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:50 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
Would have to do the math on that one, but I think it's really just splitting hairs. One thing about the construction of the cigars is that the flat cut will expose all, or nearly all, of the air channels created by the bunching & rolling, the V-cut will not, so even if you have more surface area exposed, it's across a reduced number of orifices, which means that, since pressure is a constant, you will have to increase the velocity to get the same volume of air through the cigar (drawing harder). This increase might help the burn, but again, I think it's really trivial/minor differences here.
That makes some sense to me. There may be some happy medium where a cigar that draws loose may benefit by a V and a cigar that draws tight may benefit from a straight cut (Or vice versa). I have been using nothing but a V for about a month now and love it. I wasn't having issues with my Palio before either though.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:25 PM 12-07-2012
Thanks for the feedback guys! If I get a chance to try a v-cut someday I will but I don't think I am going to rush out and buy a v-cutter just yet.

Again, thanks!
[Reply]
JoeCool87TC 08:58 PM 12-07-2012
I've read that the tars supposedly stay at the bottom of the v-cut, thereby being further away from your tongue, reducing your chances of tasting them.

All I know is that it works great for me on all vitolas and I really like it.
[Reply]
Digs 04:09 PM 12-10-2012
After using Shane's for the last month I defiantly now am preferring these to all other cutters I own (I can fill a small humidor with all my cutters). Like was mentioned earlier there is a lot less chance of the cap unraveling.

I picked this one up last night.

[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up