Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 8
< 123 45 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Creating my Smoking Lounge!
kaisersozei 01:26 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
guess on my next trip to the US, I have to visit VA
Why, yes... yes you do.
[Reply]
Tbagley 01:44 PM 04-03-2012
Threads like this can provide great motivation, has me thinking of turning a workout room to smoking den! Workouts can be had out in the garage.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:59 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Tbagley:
Threads like this can provide great motivation, has me thinking of turning a workout room to smoking den! Workouts can be had out in the garage.
I like your attitude! :-)
[Reply]
trendo 04:50 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
Thanks for all the input everyone. I came to the same conclusion Troy...I was going to do a bathroom fan but I don't think it will pull enough. I want at least a 1000 cfm fan. I think I found a fan, or type of fan, that will work well.

These are wall mounted, from the inside, and have a cover. It's capacity is 1500 cfm and it seems like it will be relatively quiet. I found a few varieties of these and the only thing this is missing is a speed control. I might look for that. If any one is interested in more research on this fan, here it is: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/hv...hutter-mounted
:-)

Looks like that will pull plenty of air. If you can find a way to isolate the fan from its mounting points with rubber, you can probably keep the sound to a minimum. Another way you can control noise is to put a fan dimmer on it, you may not need that thing on high.

Good luck with your room, be sure to let us know how that fan works out for you!
[Reply]
trendo 04:57 PM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Mark THS:
if you're in need of any ideas- see what me and my brother did: www.ryandeyer.com/cigarroom

The "Process" section has some nice tips on ducting/venting
I spent a lot of time on that website when trying to design my room. Thanks for taking the time to make all that information available:-)
[Reply]
Ncpsycho 06:24 PM 04-03-2012
I want something like this for my workshop for cigar smoke but its 14'x20' i think i would need something much larger
[Reply]
icantbejon 08:05 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Ncpsycho:
I want something like this for my workshop for cigar smoke but its 14'x20' i think i would need something much larger
They have much larger fans, but my room is small enough for the 10". They have up to 16" fans that pull damn 3000 cfm.
[Reply]
357 11:05 AM 04-05-2012
Originally Posted by trendo:
I spent a lot of time on that website when trying to design my room. Thanks for taking the time to make all that information available:-)
Mark's brother used an adjustable 1200 cfm fan. He said they never turned it above 50%, even with 3 guys smoking in there. I forget the dimensions of his room but it would be a good guide.

The most important thing I've read for reducing noise it putting the fan as far from the room as possible, having it pull the air through the duct and push it outside.
[Reply]
RichieBklyn 11:12 AM 04-05-2012
Wow, what a greeeeeat idea!
[Reply]
icantbejon 10:14 AM 04-07-2012
:-)

Looks like that will pull plenty of air. If you can find a way to isolate the fan from its mounting points with rubber, you can probably keep the sound to a minimum. Another way you can control noise is to put a fan dimmer on it, you may not need that thing on high.

Good luck with your room, be sure to let us know how that fan works out for you!
I plan on getting a dimmer switch as well. I don't imagine I'll need this thing on full blast very often. What kind of rubber at the mounting points? Rubber washers or something else?
[Reply]
trendo 01:37 PM 04-07-2012
I plan on getting a dimmer switch as well. I don't imagine I'll need this thing on full blast very often. What kind of rubber at the mounting points? Rubber washers or something else?
Yeah, like rubber washers/grommets/straps. The more vibration you can keep off of your walls, the quieter it will be. I hung my fan (its ducted so the setup is a bit different from yours) from the rafters with rope, and rubber exhaust hangers, its super quiet.

A dimmer would be awesome, just make sure you use a fan dimmer. A light dimmer would burn up.

Good luck!

If you want some ideas about how to trim the inside, I used a plastic grate which is made for the inside of fluorescent lights. It lets through lots of air, but does a good job of hiding whats behind it.

[Reply]
icantbejon 08:10 AM 04-09-2012
Got the door and window framed in:

And then added in a shelf to display all my homebrew bottles:

[Reply]
icantbejon 08:11 AM 04-09-2012
Yeah, like rubber washers/grommets/straps. The more vibration you can keep off of your walls, the quieter it will be. I hung my fan (its ducted so the setup is a bit different from yours) from the rafters with rope, and rubber exhaust hangers, its super quiet.

A dimmer would be awesome, just make sure you use a fan dimmer. A light dimmer would burn up.

Good luck!

If you want some ideas about how to trim the inside, I used a plastic grate which is made for the inside of fluorescent lights. It lets through lots of air, but does a good job of hiding whats behind it.

Are those heat lamps on the outside of your fan or just lights?
[Reply]
icantbejon 08:15 AM 04-09-2012
Clicking the below image will take you to a video that provides a nice compare/contrast to what the room looked like before the window and door framing, as well as the shelf.

[Reply]
CigarSquid 08:27 AM 04-09-2012
Looking good.
[Reply]
trendo 10:40 PM 04-09-2012
Are those heat lamps on the outside of your fan or just lights?
Just lights, no need for heat lamps here!
[Reply]
kaisersozei 04:43 AM 04-10-2012
What options are you considering for the floor?
[Reply]
Hem 05:18 AM 04-10-2012
Awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product!
[Reply]
icantbejon 07:30 AM 04-10-2012
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
What options are you considering for the floor?
I'm going to put in a laminate floor....get something that looks ok but won't absorb too much of the smoke. I was initially just gonna put carpet down, but the more I thought about it I realized I would be replacing carpet in the room on a bi-yearly basis to get rid of the smell.

Once I settle on the flooring choice, as far as color, I will be staining the shelf in the same color.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:49 AM 04-10-2012
I'm going to put in a laminate floor....get something that looks ok but won't absorb too much of the smoke. I was initially just gonna put carpet down, but the more I thought about it I realized I would be replacing carpet in the room on a bi-yearly basis to get rid of the smell.

Once I settle on the flooring choice, as far as color, I will be staining the shelf in the same color.
Yea, for temperature stability, you'll want to cover up that slab. There's a big difference in the gym area of my garage (where we installed laminate wood.)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 8
< 123 45 > Last »
Up