Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 260 of 260
« First < 160210250258259260
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
jonumberone 04:20 AM 08-23-2018
Care to share the pricing on the ton of pellets?
Maybe we can split a pallet?
Just bring my half when you drop off the Lang.
[Reply]
T.G 06:41 AM 08-23-2018
Sure. Last time I split a 1-ton order with another person in August of 2016, each of us took 1000lbs of pellets, the costs came out at:
$9.90 per 40lb bag of standard pellets
$6.80 per 20lb bag of specialty pellets
$10/person group buy coordination fee

I believe they ship from Wisconsin. Shipping and delivery in our case worked out to $120/person to have it brought to a commercial location in Northern CA that had a forklift. Obviously transport distance plays a factor here. If you want to set it up to have everyone on the GB meet at the shipping depot, then you can cut the transport costs a bit more. If you want a residential address and/or having lift-gate service would increase the cost by some amount.

So yeah, I walked out of there with 1000 lbs (21 x 40#, 8 x 20#) delivered to a friend's brewery (he has a forklift) less than 2 miles from my house for $392. Which puts my averaged cost at a mere $15.68 per 40-lb bag.

If you want to collect the money, then everyone saves the $10 coordination fee.

They do partial pallets also, starting at quarter ton, although the cost per bag goes up. IIRC, when I looked into this on my first order in 2015, I think it 2/3 of a ton was the same cost as a full ton due to higher bag cost and lower transport at the time.

https://bbqpelletsonline.com/
Look under "Get Quotes" and they'll run the numbers for you.

If you don't have anyone to split with at the time and you want the bulk pricing of a larger order, just tell them and they will try and find people in your area to jump in on the order.
[Reply]
Steve 02:56 PM 10-13-2018
So, I'm thinking about going over to the dark side. I know several on here have and use Treagers, but it is unexplored territory for me as I am a stick-burner guy from way back. I need to replace the old gas grill, and was thinking about a pellet burner for the deck to give me some flexibility. How do these guys work for "grilling" steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.? I know they are pretty good at smoking/BBQing, but how long does it take them to get up to temp to sear a steak and how much fuel do they eat doing it? I guess I am looking for the pros and cons of picking one up.

Also, this would be on my wood deck. My gas grill I don't really worry about, but with a pellet burner, should I?

Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
T.G 06:39 PM 10-13-2018
Originally Posted by Steve:
How do these guys work for "grilling" steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.?
Speaking about low-mid end units (which the Traeger falls under) only:

They suck at it. Good smoke ovens, **** grills.

If you get one that has a sliding diffuser over the firepot that allows direct fire to the grate, then it might be ok as long as you like cooking your food with a blowtorch.

Don't get me wrong, I have one. Burned probably a ton and half or more of pellets in it since I bought it 2 or 3 years ago. So much so that the controller is worn out, all the detents on the temp dial are shot. Does great for what it is, which is a smoke oven. Can't sear for ****all though.

I've been debating what I might buy to replace this unit when it dies, another pellet grill is not at the top of the list. Don't get me wrong, I love the convenience, but, I'm mixed overall on it's value.
[Reply]
Steve 03:19 PM 10-14-2018
Thanks Adam, that's kind of what I was thinking after seeing a couple of videos about them.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 05:55 PM 10-22-2018
Beer-marinated, smoked tri-tip.

After getting some smoke:

Reverse sear:

Ready to eat:
[Reply]
kydsid 07:42 AM 10-23-2018
Originally Posted by Steve:
So, I'm thinking about going over to the dark side. I know several on here have and use Treagers, but it is unexplored territory for me as I am a stick-burner guy from way back. I need to replace the old gas grill, and was thinking about a pellet burner for the deck to give me some flexibility. How do these guys work for "grilling" steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.? I know they are pretty good at smoking/BBQing, but how long does it take them to get up to temp to sear a steak and how much fuel do they eat doing it? I guess I am looking for the pros and cons of picking one up.

Also, this would be on my wood deck. My gas grill I don't really worry about, but with a pellet burner, should I?

Thanks in advance.

Big Green Egg (ceramic cooker) or another gas grill if it's truly for quick grilling. About the only thin a BGE can't do is a quick start. Don't get me wrong I can cook on it faster than other charcoal grills for a couple reasons but not as fast as a gas grill.

But temp range? fugghedaboutit. 200 to over 1000 not a problem. Just watch them eyebrows when peeking at a pizze rolling at 900 degress. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:48 AM 10-23-2018
I love my Kamado Joe ceramic cooker — similar to the BGE. Like Jason said, not as fast on the start up as gas, but is excellent otherwise and no fussing with tanks :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:40 PM 01-05-2019
Did a couple Boston butts in the last few months on the smoker. Will try to get some pictures posted
[Reply]
E.J. 08:16 PM 06-30-2019
New grill grates for the Yoder Kick Tail!!! So pleased with the results of them and the 2 piece diffuser.
[Reply]
Page 260 of 260
« First < 160210250258259260
Up