Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 95 of 138
« First < 4585939495 9697105 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Fredo456 10:04 PM 04-22-2012
I'm pretty sure I've seen this somwhere, but I can't find it:

How can I post pictures? I have 5 pictures to put within a text (with lines of text between pictures). I have succesfully shrunk their size and uploaded them on the forum, but I can't find how to put them in the text.

Thanks (again).
[Reply]
pnoon 10:08 PM 04-22-2012
Originally Posted by Fredo456:
I'm pretty sure I've seen this somwhere, but I can't find it:

How can I post pictures? I have 5 pictures to put within a text (with lines of text between pictures). I have succesfully shrunk their size and uploaded them on the forum, but I can't find how to put them in the text.

Thanks (again).
When you post a reply, there is a box named Attach Files with a button for Manage Attachments.

The other option, and the one I use, is to have your pictures hosted somewhere else (e.g. Photobucket) and link them here.
[Reply]
smitty81 11:28 AM 06-11-2012
What exactly does rest time do for a cigar?

I know it gives it time for the RH to stabilize in the cigar but what else happens?

When they say CC's benefit from resting but not so much NC's, why is that?
[Reply]
pnoon 11:34 AM 06-11-2012
Who is "they"? Never heard of such a distinction.
Resting after shipment is pretty much for RH to stabilize no matter the country of origin.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
smitty81 11:40 AM 06-11-2012
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Who is "they"? Never heard of such a distinction.
Resting after shipment is pretty much for RH to stabilize no matter the country of origin.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmm, one of the members on here told me that in a thread.

I will have to see if I can find it.

Sometimes some members on here will say that they had a cigar they didnt care for and then they go on to say they will let them rest for a while and try them again?
[Reply]
Bill86 11:40 AM 06-11-2012
I think you are referring to aging and not resting. Usually, as Peter said, any time you receive cigars many/most people put them down for few weeks. Aging is all speculation and a crap shoot on both ends. Though IMHO, CC's would benefit more from aging and I wouldn't personally put NC's down long term. By long term I mean 5-10 years.

If it's not smoking good now really no reason to smoke more, so people take their chances and revisit 6 months - 1 year down the road.
[Reply]
smitty81 11:45 AM 06-11-2012
Originally Posted by Bill86:
I think you are referring to aging and not resting. Usually, as Peter said, any time you receive cigars many/most people put them down for few weeks. Aging is all speculation and a crap shoot on both ends. Though IMHO, CC's would benefit more from aging and I wouldn't personally put NC's down long term. By long term I mean 5-10 years.

If it's not smoking good now really no reason to smoke more, so people take their chances and revisit 6 months - 1 year down the road.
Yea, I was meaning to say aging, not resting.

Sorry Peter.

Thanks Bill!
[Reply]
pnoon 11:58 AM 06-11-2012
no apology needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
RWhisenand 01:19 PM 06-29-2012
Some time ago I switched to using Boveda packets in my humidor. I'm very happy with how they have worked out thus far. Here is my question, I left my humidification stone in the box thinking that it will absorb some humidity from the Boveda packets, and act as a buffer to RH changes. I am planning on buying a new second box, thanks to the CIA's, and Cigarbid, I'm thinking of seasoning the new box with the 85% packets with the stone in place so it can act to buffer the RH.

I guess my question is in the opinion of the inmates, am I off base or should this work?

TIA
[Reply]
chippewastud79 02:11 PM 06-29-2012
Originally Posted by RWhisenand:
Some time ago I switched to using Boveda packets in my humidor. I'm very happy with how they have worked out thus far. Here is my question, I left my humidification stone in the box thinking that it will absorb some humidity from the Boveda packets, and act as a buffer to RH changes. I am planning on buying a new second box, thanks to the CIA's, and Cigarbid, I'm thinking of seasoning the new box with the 85% packets with the stone in place so it can act to buffer the RH.

I guess my question is in the opinion of the inmates, am I off base or should this work?

TIA
I am not sure exactly what a 'humidification stone' is, but if you mean the humidifier that comes with most humidors, it not only will not buffer the humidity as it does not regulate or absorb humidity, but it would also leave a nice place for mold to grow. :-)
[Reply]
RWhisenand 02:36 PM 06-29-2012
Yea, I'm referring to the disk thing that came with the humidor, I thought there was some sort of porus stone in it.

Good point about the mold though.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:38 PM 06-29-2012
Get rid of the "stone" -- as Larry pointed out it is only there to add mold to your humidor.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 08:00 PM 06-29-2012
Originally Posted by RWhisenand:
Yea, I'm referring to the disk thing that came with the humidor, I thought there was some sort of porus stone in it.

Good point about the mold though.
Its floral foam, like the ones they put in flower arrangements, not any regulation coming from it. :-)
[Reply]
RWhisenand 10:05 PM 06-29-2012
No apologies needed!

Thanks for your help brother!

I had no clue what was in those things.
[Reply]
captTrips 06:36 PM 07-01-2012
5 cigars that are best for aging? I just bought a box of Olivia V and a couple boxes of OpusX.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 07:10 PM 07-01-2012
Originally Posted by captTrips:
5 cigars that are best for aging? I just bought a box of Olivia V and a couple boxes of OpusX.
Magic 8 ball says It is decidedly so on the Opus.
[Reply]
area51 10:15 PM 07-01-2012
^Haha
[Reply]
icehog3 04:42 PM 07-02-2012
Originally Posted by captTrips:

Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Robusto
Tabacos El Triunfador by Tatuaje
My Father Le Bijou 1922 Toro
La Flor Dominicana Cabinet Maduro No. 5
Avo Heritage Short Robusto

These are the 5 best cigars legally obtainable in the U.S. for aging, according to me.
[Reply]
N2Advnture 06:33 PM 07-06-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
What exactly does rest time do for a cigar?

I know it gives it time for the RH to stabilize in the cigar but what else happens?

When they say CC's benefit from resting but not so much NC's, why is that?
Typically, you want to let your cigars "rest" for about 3-4 weeks after receiving them so they can acclimate to the RH level that you prefer (ie: what you keep you humidor RH set to).

Often times cigars are over humidified when shipped and/or are affected during shipping, so resting is definitely beneficial.

Aging on the other hand is my favorite part of the hobby.

Buying a box and aging them for 5-15 years and sampling them every year along the way can be quite rewarding in terms of enjoying the changes.

You can age NCs and they do benefit from aging. I found that 3-5 years seems to be the sweet spot in my experience.

I hope this helps

~Mark
[Reply]
RobR1205 07:07 PM 07-06-2012
I know this question gets asked a lot, but I want to hear a couple of personal opinions and experiences from some of you more experienced folk, being that I've only been smoking cigars for a little over a year now! But is there really a best humidity to keep cigars for optimal taste and burning? I've seen numbers as high as 75% (too high in my opinion) and numbers as low as 65%. Sometimes, by RH fluctuates between 72%-68%. Any first hand experiences or personal opinions? Thanks!
[Reply]
Page 95 of 138
« First < 4585939495 9697105 > Last »
Up