Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 107 of 138
« First < 75797105106107 108109117 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
T.G 10:04 PM 08-02-2013
Originally Posted by Outlaw God:
Will stored cigars in box with cellophane wrapping really get proper RH control?
Yes.
[Reply]
Outlaw God 10:25 PM 08-02-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
Yes.
How dose humidity penetrate properly
[Reply]
CamoFlogged 10:35 PM 08-02-2013
Cellophane is porous so allows both air and moisture to pass through.
[Reply]
awsmith4 10:35 PM 08-02-2013
From what I understand the cellophane is porous and not completely sealed; therefore allowing the cigars to acculmate to their surrounding rH
[Reply]
T.G 10:35 PM 08-02-2013
How dose humidity penetrate properly
Both wood and cello are porous.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:47 PM 08-02-2013
FYI, cellophane is not plastic; it is a thin, transparent sheet made of regenerated cellulose. Cellulose from wood, cotton, hemp or other sources is dissolved and then extruded into cellulose.
[Reply]
Outlaw God 10:49 PM 08-02-2013
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
FYI, cellophane is not plastic; it is a thin, transparent sheet made of regenerated cellulose. Cellulose from wood, cotton, hemp or other sources is dissolved and then extruded into cellulose.
So why I see full boxes in large humidors seasoning happily, thanks all!
[Reply]
Outlaw God 08:00 PM 08-07-2013
In the book "The Ultimate Cigar Book" by Richard Hacker on page 80

Originally Posted by :
As cello will considerably slow down and even halt the otherwise continuous aging process.
Personally I prefer uncellophane cigars and make it a practice to remove the cellophane from every cigar the instant I get the box home
Seems very much right to me
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:11 PM 08-07-2013
There is also the fact it protects your cigars over many years, I'm sorry but there are some aged cigars in cello that are pure **** and the fact that they are in perfect condition after 30 or 40 or even 50 yrs is yet another reason to leave them in the cello. There are some Davis in another thread in cello that are :-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 08:21 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
There is also the fact it protects your cigars over many years, I'm sorry but there are some aged cigars in cello that are pure **** and the fact that they are in perfect condition after 30 or 40 or even 50 yrs is yet another reason to leave them in the cello. There are some Davis in another thread in cello that are :-)
Cello saves sticks. In more ways than one.
[Reply]
Gabe215 08:37 PM 08-07-2013
Here's a question, AF Anejos are my fav NC and have been smoking a LOT of them lately I've had 5 recently out of a box from '11 and 2 of them were tar monsters!! The other 3 have smoked beautifully. What is the deal with that? Is it weather? RH outside? Bum sticks(doubt it they smoked fine just ridiculous amounts of tar oozing out) wasnt a one cut and solved the problem, after my third cut i had to chuck it! Any one with knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated thanks!!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:45 PM 08-07-2013
Well could be from different things, do you use a punch or a V or straight cut. I looked this up once and it's hard to actually find info (at least I didn't), I did find this that someone printed from a manufacturer who contacted a factory.

“This grotesque syrup is somewhat of an enigma. We assume that it is sap left inside the stem of the leaf which doesn’t evaporate during fermentation. It is extremely rare, but by far one of the most pungent and foul substances of the world. It has been my experience that cutting below the ooze usually ends the matter.”
[Reply]
T.G 09:41 PM 08-07-2013
In the book "The Ultimate Cigar Book" by Richard Hacker on page 80

Seems very much right to me

Do what you want. They're your cigars.

BTW, who the frack is this Dick Hacker guy and where is the research to support his assertions? While we're at it, what are his qualifications? Ohh, he has book with "ultimate" in the title, sounds impressive.

I think I'm going to write a book called "The Uber Cigar Book".
[Reply]
Outlaw God 09:51 PM 08-07-2013
Do what you want. They're your cigars.

BTW, who the frack is this Dick Hacker guy and what are his qualifications? Ohh, he has book with "ultimate" in the title, sounds impressive.

I think I'm going to write a book called "The Uber Cigar Book".
Judging a man by his name and title of his book is foolish considering his been all over the world to about every manufacture and rolling facility before writing his book and years of experience, and you? consider reading it first before having a knee jerk judgment
[Reply]
T.G 09:56 PM 08-07-2013
Judging a man by his name and title of his book is foolish considering his been all over the world to about every manufacture and rolling facility before writing his book and years of experience, and you? consider reading it first before having a knee jerk judgment
It's not a knee-jerk judgement, it's sardonically pointing out that he presents no quantifiable facts or evidence to support his statements of opinion, which he touts as fact.

Sorry this all went over your head.
[Reply]
Outlaw God 10:49 PM 08-07-2013
It's not a knee-jerk judgement, it's sardonically pointing out that he presents no quantifiable facts or evidence to support his statements of opinion, which he touts as fact.

Sorry this all went over your head.
ignore list?
[Reply]
mahtofire14 10:51 PM 08-07-2013
:-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:02 AM 08-08-2013
Being that cello is porous, I disagree with Mr. Hacker's assertion. And I disagree even more through my own experience with celloed cigars, I have smoked cigars that were decades old and kept in cello, and they aged wonderfully....the aging process was not halted. :-)
[Reply]
Outlaw God 12:29 AM 08-08-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Being that cello is porous, I disagree with Mr. Hacker's assertion. And I disagree even more through my own experience with celloed cigars, I have smoked cigars that were decades old and kept in cello, and they aged wonderfully....the aging process was not halted. :-)
I also think whats important is not to take the quote of 2 small paragraphs of a 200 plus page book as the final judgement of someones entire experience and knowledge ether :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 12:38 AM 08-08-2013
I also think whats important is not to take the quote of 2 small paragraphs of a 200 plus page book as the final judgement of someones entire experience and knowledge ether :-)
I didn't make any judgement of Mr. Hacker's experience or knowledge, I just say I disagree with the quote you posted. Guy might have forgotten more than I know about cigars for all I know, but I thnk he's wrong about cello halting the aging of cigars, based on my knowledge and experience.
[Reply]
Page 107 of 138
« First < 75797105106107 108109117 > Last »
Up