Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 10 of 21
« First < 8910 111220 > Last »
Entertainment>General Star Wars Bizarre things
GTsetGO 08:39 PM 10-31-2012
i actually am looking forward to it.

doing some research with my Star Wars dork buddies, Disney is writing it themselves and it will not be based on any stories that have been release so far.

heck, they own marvel and have done a damn good job with the avengers movies.

and 8 and 9 are slated for production as well.
[Reply]
Malakai 10:16 PM 10-31-2012
Yep...I too look forward to seeing what they can come up with.
[Reply]
Powers 10:47 PM 10-31-2012
Originally Posted by Stephen:
It can't be any worse than what Lucas has already done to the franchise.
I disagree here. The latest triology is not as good as the original but they are great films, still way better than any superhero movie (other than the last two Dark Knight movies) of the last 20 years.

That being said, I don't think Disney will be a totally bad thing. They've got the writers and I'm excited for a Star Wars theme park in Orlando :-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 02:24 AM 11-01-2012
Originally Posted by massphatness:
:-) :-) :-)

In all seriousness though, I do agree with much of what Powers said. Disney is fun and easy to poke fun at, BUT they generally get sh!t right too, THEY KNOW THEIR MARKET really well, and do a very good job catering to it. They've got access to the creative talent by the bucketful, so I really do expect them to do a GOOD job with the upcoming films. And I'm looking forward to something original, something new that my inner nerd hasn't seen/read before in the star wars universe. Best of all, as long as the films keep making money, they'll keep on making em! new star wars for everyone, hurray!
[Reply]
Gophernut 06:38 AM 11-01-2012
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
:-) :-) :-)

In all seriousness though, I do agree with much of what Powers said. Disney is fun and easy to poke fun at, BUT they generally get sh!t right too, THEY KNOW THEIR MARKET really well, and do a very good job catering to it. They've got access to the creative talent by the bucketful, so I really do expect them to do a GOOD job with the upcoming films. And I'm looking forward to something original, something new that my inner nerd hasn't seen/read before in the star wars universe. Best of all, as long as the films keep making money, they'll keep on making em! new star wars for everyone, hurray!
That's what I think most of us were trying to say. I don't like the direction that Lucasfilms had taken the franchise. I have to disagree that the episodes 1-3 films are great films. I don't know that I could call 1 even a good movie. For a guy who created Darth Vader/Han Solo/Yoda etc to come up with a character like Jar Jar sounds like someone who is resting on his laurels. The movies did one thing well, and that is to paint the back story to how Anakin became Darth Vader. Other than that I, IMHO, find them mostly unwatchable.
[Reply]
Stephen 06:56 AM 11-01-2012
Originally Posted by Powers:
I disagree here. The latest triology is not as good as the original but they are great films, still way better than any superhero movie (other than the last two Dark Knight movies) of the last 20 years.
Meesa tink you crazy. Meesa tink you head full of icky icky goo.
[Reply]
Stephen 07:14 AM 11-01-2012
I don't consider Star Wars a, "superhero" movie, but just to play along...

Superhero movies better than the Star Wars prequels (off the top of my head):
X-Men
X2
X-Men: First Class
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
The Amazing Spider Man
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
The Avengers
Thor
Captain America
Batman Begins
The Incredibles (yep; I'd rather watch a Pixar movie than the prequels)

It's no coincidence that the best movie by far of the series (ESB), is the one that Lucas had the least amount of input.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:07 AM 11-02-2012
I spoke of my disappointment with episode 1 to my older brother after first watching it in the theater. His response made sense. He mentioned a few things I have since forgotten, and that it culminated in a a land, space, and lightsaber battle, all of which follow the formula of the previous movies. The problem was that after so many years I was expecting more. Sure, Jar Jar is annoying as hell and Anakin was whiney, but so was Luke. Luke was a whiny little SOB.

Anyway, the first three episodes may not have been perfect, but at least we have them.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 10:08 AM 11-02-2012
More Team Unicorn...

[Reply]
Stephen 11:17 AM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
I spoke of my disappointment with episode 1 to my older brother after first watching it in the theater. His response made sense. He mentioned a few things I have since forgotten, and that it culminated in a a land, space, and lightsaber battle, all of which follow the formula of the previous movies.
I'll give the Devil his due, Duel of the Fates was the best lightsaber battle of the franchise (although the convenient absence of Force Speed by Obi-Wan to get through the energy gates still vexes me).
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
The problem was that after so many years I was expecting more. Sure, Jar Jar is annoying as hell and Anakin was whiney, but so was Luke. Luke was a whiny little SOB.

Anyway, the first three episodes may not have been perfect, but at least we have them.
Yeah, Luke started out as a whiny, naive girl, that ended up being a badass Jedi who didn't blink in the face of Vader or Palpatine (all with minimal training might I add).

Anakin started out as a whiny girl that ended up being a...whiny girl. As I told my buddies a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away..."Wah"nakin wasn't the Chosen One, he was the Chosen Whine.
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:34 PM 11-02-2012
:-)
[Reply]
Powers 01:48 PM 11-03-2012

X-Men
X2
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
The Amazing Spider Man
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
The Avengers
Thor
Captain America
Batman Begins

It's no coincidence that the best movie by far of the series (ESB), is the one that Lucas had the least amount of input.
I'd still rather watch episode 1-3 than any of those other than The Avengers. But that's just my opinion :-)

I think a mistake that Lucas made is killing Darth Maul in Episode 1. He was the best villain of the new trilogy by far
[Reply]
Ratters 03:32 PM 11-03-2012
Well, technically Darth Maul was not killed in the duel. Just sayin.

I for one welcome our new mouse eared overlords. Just sayin.
[Reply]
T.G 06:44 PM 11-03-2012
You know that $4 Billion that George Lucas is making on the sale of Lucasfilm?

Looks like he's planning on donating almost all of it to education.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...as-will-384947
[Reply]
Starscream 08:51 PM 11-03-2012
I'll give the Devil his due, Duel of the Fates was the best lightsaber battle of the franchise (although the convenient absence of Force Speed by Obi-Wan to get through the energy gates still vexes me).

Yeah, Luke started out as a whiny, naive girl, that ended up being a badass Jedi who didn't blink in the face of Vader or Palpatine (all with minimal training might I add).

Anakin started out as a whiny girl that ended up being a...whiny girl. As I told my buddies a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away..."Wah"nakin wasn't the Chosen One, he was the Chosen Whine.
Vader wasn't whiny until Lucas went and added the "noooooooooo" effect at the end of Jedi.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:52 PM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by T.G:
You know that $4 Billion that George Lucas is making on the sale of Lucasfilm?

Looks like he's planning on donating almost all of it to education.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...as-will-384947
He went off the deep end with some story ideas, but he's a classy and stand up guy. This only proves it. Well done, Mr. Lucas!
[Reply]
Starscream 09:05 PM 11-03-2012
I'd still rather watch episode 1-3 than any of those other than The Avengers. But that's just my opinion :-)

I think a mistake that Lucas made is killing Darth Maul in Episode 1. He was the best villain of the new trilogy by far
I agree with the first half of your post.

However, I disagree completely with the second half of your post. Darth Maul is completely overrated. A Sith who rarely speaks and is trained in Kung Fu (Ray Park) and looks entirely badass is great on the surface, but the guy had no character/personality at all to me. I'll take Count Dookoo anyday of the week over Darth Maul. Dookoo fit in with the traditional Star Wars story. Maul was merely an assassin and is pretty much just a Sith version of Boba Fett.
[Reply]
Stephen 09:18 PM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by Starscream:
Vader wasn't whiny until Lucas went and added the "noooooooooo" effect at the end of Jedi.
Anakin in the prequels. Not Anakin as Darth Vader.
[Reply]
Stephen 09:53 PM 11-03-2012
And I'd rather watch Demolition Man than Amadeus, but it doesn't make Demolition Man a better movie. :-)
He was the best villain of the new trilogy by far
Palpatine says hello. Then throws Force Lightning at you. :-)
[Reply]
Bax 09:57 PM 11-03-2012
This list is on the mark. The last three were awful AND don't foret that abortion of a Raiders of the Lost Ark Crystal Skull... He should have stepped aside about 20 years ago.

X-Men
X2
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
The Amazing Spider Man
Iron Man
Iron Man 2
The Avengers
Thor
Captain America
Batman Begins

[Reply]
Page 10 of 21
« First < 8910 111220 > Last »
Up