Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Rocky Patel OSG churchill
Don Fernando 01:19 PM 02-18-2010
I found this cigar on the bottom of my cooler, don't know where or how I got it. I asked Jaime (RPguy) about this cigar but these cigars were discontinued before he started at Rocky Patel and didn't have much information except that these were probably a limited item as they were forced out of production because the factory was being sold. The binder is most likely Nicaraguan with Nicaraguan and Dominican filler wrapped in an Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper. OSG stands for Original Sun Grown.

The cigar came in cellophane that was starting to discolor, a sign of age, and as they have been discontinued somewhere between 2000 and 2002 this cigar was at least 8 years old at the time I smoked it. The wrapper is silky and has a few big veins. The cigar has a nice barnyard aroma, a fine construction and a great predraw. The size of this stogie is 6 1/2 inch with a 50 ring.

I get a pretty full coffee with some hay. The coffee disappears and hay is all I can taste until a little chocolate shows up at the background after an inch. The hay is still pretty full and some herbs show up. The balance between the flavors is very nice.

Halfway I can taste some chocolate again and at the 2/3rd mark I can also taste some cedar. At the end the chocolate has gone but I can taste some nuts instead. The flavors are dry but mild creamy.

I get a reasonable amount of smoke with a great draw. The ash is salt & pepper gray and the burn was just a bit crooked but I didn't have to correct it. I would rate this cigar medium bodied, full flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? I wish. They have been discontinued for 8 years, so it will be impossible to hunt some down. And worth that much afford? No. But still a good smoke.

Appearance: 6 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 7 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10
[Reply]
Jbailey 01:23 PM 02-18-2010
Sounds like a fun find in the humi there Don. I have a few floating around either in one of the coolers or back in the locker at my old shop. I should grab one sometime for the hell of it.

Thanks for the review.:-)
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 01:24 PM 02-18-2010
I think this was a Cigar International exclusive.
I remember smoking them when they were still available and they were well worth the price. I think they ran $40 a box!!!!
[Reply]
tuxpuff 01:41 PM 02-18-2010
They are tasty smokes. I still have about 10 toro's hidden somewhere. Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:41 PM 02-18-2010
Excellent review as always Ferdie. :-)
[Reply]
Up