Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Man O' War Ruination Belicoso
Kreth 08:18 PM 09-15-2009
I picked up a single on cbid after winning another auction.

Humidor time: 1 month

Prelight: Construction looks nice. The wrapper has a nice sheen to it, with minimal veins. Prelight draw is moderate, and tastes of oak, leather and spice.

Burn: Burn was nice and even. Ash was nice and solid. Draw was moderate. Burn time was about 90 minutes.

Flavor: This cigar started out with a nice spice kick, similar to a DPG stick. Oak and leather were prominent, with a hint of cedar on the finish. The spice settled down after the initial blast, but still gave a nice kick, especially through the nose. The last third saw the spice pick back up a notch.

Summary: As with the regular MoW, *do not* smoke this stick on an empty stomach. Flavor was great, and I think I prefer this smoke over the regular MoW. But either is a good choice if you're looking for a spicy smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
longknocker 08:26 PM 09-15-2009
Nice Review, Jeff! I love the original MOW, and have a 5'er of the Ruination resting. Wanted to rest them 6 months, but I may want to sample 1 after 1 month after this review!:-):-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 08:33 PM 09-15-2009
I have about 15 of the MOW's are the ruination's any better and if so how much?
[Reply]
G G 08:44 PM 09-15-2009
Thanks.:-)
[Reply]
Kreth 09:05 PM 09-15-2009
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
I have about 15 of the MOW's are the ruination's any better and if so how much?
They tasted very similar, the Ruination just had a bit more kick to it. I think the difference is the ligero wrapper on the Ruination.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
kenstogie 06:52 AM 09-16-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
They tasted very similar, the Ruination just had a bit more kick to it. I think the difference is the ligero wrapper on the Ruination.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I am trying to find a complelling reason to get the Ruination with the added cost but am thinking the regular MOW is fine especially since i p/u a 5 pack a Cbid last night for 13 bucks.
[Reply]
coastietech 07:03 AM 09-16-2009
I've smoked both and thought the ruination was much better... For me they didn't taste the same as all.

I thought the regular MoW tasted like black pepper and spice all the way through, whereas with the Ruination I kept tasting for, lack of a better way to describe it, burning wood. It tasted to me very similar to what it smells like when you just get a piece of wood to start burning.

I really liked the Ruination and would consider getting a box. I liked the MoW but wouldn't drop the coin on a box. Just my :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 07:17 AM 09-16-2009
Originally Posted by coastietech:
I've smoked both and thought the ruination was much better... For me they didn't taste the same as all.

I thought the regular MoW tasted like black pepper and spice all the way through, whereas with the Ruination I kept tasting for, lack of a better way to describe it, burning wood. It tasted to me very similar to what it smells like when you just get a piece of wood to start burning.

I really liked the Ruination and would consider getting a box. I liked the MoW but wouldn't drop the coin on a box. Just my :-)
Thanks For The Comparison, Joe! :-) I was wondering if the Ruination Increase in Price over standard MOW was warranted.:-)
[Reply]
Kreth 07:50 AM 09-16-2009
Originally Posted by longknocker:
Thanks For The Comparison, Joe! :-) I was wondering if the Ruination Increase in Price over standard MOW was warranted.:-)
In the current CI catalog, you can pick up a "free" 5er if you're willing to drop $40 on 2 Padilla salamons (Miami and Signature 1932). I haven't seen any boxes on cbid. It looks like they do have a full-flavored sampler for <$50 which has 4 each of the Ruination, Cu Avana Intenso, 5 Vegas Cask Strength, Graycliff G2, and one other cigar lost to CRS. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
poriggity 08:02 AM 09-16-2009
Nice review! I love the Ruination myself. The regular MOW are pretty tasty as well. My biggest issue is the price on these. They aint cheap.
Scott
[Reply]
kenstogie 08:18 AM 09-16-2009
Originally Posted by poriggity:
Nice review! I love the Ruination myself. The regular MOW are pretty tasty as well. My biggest issue is the price on these. They aint cheap.
Scott
Ditto.
[Reply]
dannysguitar 09:33 AM 09-16-2009
Originally Posted by poriggity:
Scott
:-)

Thanks for the 1 you gave me Scott. Smoked it on the golf course and loved it!
[Reply]
hotreds 12:12 PM 09-16-2009
As OP mentioned, both the MOW and the MOWR are winners!
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:59 PM 09-16-2009
If you look you can pick up the MOW's fairly inexpensively. Just p/u a 5ver for 13 beans on the devil site.
[Reply]
poriggity 05:09 PM 09-16-2009
Originally Posted by dannysguitar:
:-)

Thanks for the 1 you gave me Scott. Smoked it on the golf course and loved it!
Who you callin stupid? :-) :-) :-)

Glad you liked it Danny!
Scott
[Reply]
njstone 08:28 PM 09-25-2009
I"m smoking another of these now. Really fantastic cigars, especially when you've already had a couple in the day and need something really strong. MMMMMMM!
[Reply]
Kreth 12:41 PM 02-21-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Originally Posted by coastietech:
So, since posting this review, I've smoked my way through a Royal Sampler (5 ea. of MoW and Ruination in robusto), as well as some singles and 5ers of each from bombs, trades, and cbid; and came to pretty much the same conclusion as Joe. I started to wonder where I ever got the idea that the two were similar.
Flash forward to today. Digging through the cooler for a smoke, I find a MoW SE Figurado (the same vitola from my original MoW review). As I'm smoking, I google a few reviews. Imagine my surprise to learn that the MoW figurado is not just a special edition vitola, it sports the same wrapper as the Ruination. Now I can go back to focusing on one of the important mysteries in life: Who killed Asmodean? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
issues 03:41 PM 02-21-2010
Thanks for the review Jeff! :-)

I really want to give these a try...

Anyone who has smoked both, how do the MOWRs compare to the Diesels?
[Reply]
kelmac07 04:55 PM 02-21-2010
Nice review Jeff. :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 06:49 PM 02-21-2010
Originally Posted by issues:
Anyone who has smoked both, how do the MOWRs compare to the Diesels?
I've only smoked one of the Diesels so far (saving my pennies for a box purchase). Having said that, they're both good, strong smokes. The Diesel has a slightly sweeter flavor, with the PA broadleaf maddie wrapper.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Up