Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 96 of 270
« First < 4686949596 9798106146196 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
Chainsaw13 05:32 PM 04-22-2011
I think lamb shanks would be ok. There's a lot of connective tissue in there. I braise them for 3 hours or so when I make them. Takes that long to break everything down. But I would agree that a leg of lamb would be better.
[Reply]
forgop 05:34 PM 04-22-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I think lamb shanks would be ok. There's a lot of connective tissue in there. I braise them for 3 hours or so when I make them. Takes that long to break everything down. But I would agree that a leg of lamb would be better.

Never been a big fan of lamb-had a bit of a gamey taste when i've made it a couple of times.
[Reply]
Stevez 05:55 PM 04-22-2011
Duanne, I think your totally hooked now. That brisket looked fantastic. I found a local butcher who sells 15+lb whole packers and the point and flat are very distinctive once you see it. Your cook is making me want to do one this weekend. Congrats! Steve
[Reply]
forgop 06:05 PM 04-22-2011
Originally Posted by Stevez:
Duanne, I think your totally hooked now. That brisket looked fantastic. I found a local butcher who sells 15+lb whole packers and the point and flat are very distinctive once you see it. Your cook is making me want to do one this weekend. Congrats! Steve
Thanks...

BTW, I decided to take my smoking to the next level and get on the Atkins kick for awhile. I just started it on Tuesday, but I figure I can fire up the WSM once every week and make enough meat for me to eat the entire week.

Downside is that I can't make use of the Plowboys yardbird rub and the 4 different bbq sauces I got from bbq addicts, but I'll survive for awhile. I can make do with some rubs that don't have sugar and eat the stuff without the sauce and it's still better than anything else I've ever made myself.
[Reply]
T.G 07:07 PM 04-22-2011
Bob,

I don't cook lamb shanks that often, I'll trust your judgment

About 2 hours in

[Reply]
T.G 09:04 PM 04-22-2011
All done and lambielicious.

[Reply]
Stevez 06:22 AM 04-23-2011
Adam, that lamb looks delicious. I've never seen lamb ribs in any butcher shop; were they hard to find. I've got to try those soon.
[Reply]
T.G 08:36 AM 04-23-2011
Thanks Steve. Yes, they took some asking around to find, they just aren't a real popular cut out here, so only one place had them, and they had to go get a case out of the freezer. They seem to go by at least three different names, possibly more, depending on where you are in the country, you can try asking for them as "lamb breasts" or "denver ribs" or "lamb spare ribs", it's the lower section of the ribs and it seemed that only two of the older butchers at that one location were familiar with the cut, the other people behind the meat counter who really weren't butchers they just kind of hand out stuff, had no idea what the heck I was asking for.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:38 AM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
2 hours in

Dinner time (yesterday-didn't get around posting this until today :-))

[Reply]
T.G 08:44 AM 04-23-2011
That looks great from here Peter. Way better than my first brisket ever did.

How was it?
[Reply]
pnoon 08:51 AM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
That looks great from here Peter. Way better than my first brisket ever did.

How was it?
Very tasty. Although a bit drier than I expected. After the first 2 hours, I misted it with an apple juice and olive oil mix about every 45 minutes. Took it off at 180 (5 1/2 hours total) and let it rest for 20 minutes. Everyone loved it. I just am way too critical when it comes to my cooking. Always looking to improve it. I was anticipating that moist and succulent texture. Minor problem. Will continue to experiment.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 09:03 AM 04-23-2011
Well done Peter! I have a hankering for brisket now:-)
[Reply]
Ender 10:12 AM 04-23-2011
Man, those meats look great guys. I had a very successful first of this year 2 bacon explosions smoked last weekend. I had the pleasure of introducing bacon explosion to a whole bunch of people who all went gaga over it.
[Reply]
dadof3illinois 10:50 AM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Very tasty. Although a bit drier than I expected. After the first 2 hours, I misted it with an apple juice and olive oil mix about every 45 minutes. Took it off at 180 (5 1/2 hours total) and let it rest for 20 minutes. Everyone loved it. I just am way too critical when it comes to my cooking. Always looking to improve it. I was anticipating that moist and succulent texture. Minor problem. Will continue to experiment.
The last one I did I bought a whole one and cut it in half. Cooked one half to 155 degrees, let it rest for 45 min and it sliced great and was very moist. The other half I let go until it started falling apart to make pulled beef sandwiches, it was a lot drier but was fine after I chopped it up and mixed my sauce in it.
IMO 180 degrees may be a touch to much for me?
[Reply]
OLS 11:58 AM 04-23-2011
That's a pretty respectable smoke ring for BEEF, Pietro....Your machine must work.
Looks plenty merst to me.
[Reply]
pnoon 12:21 PM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by dadof3illinois:
The last one I did I bought a whole one and cut it in half. Cooked one half to 155 degrees, let it rest for 45 min and it sliced great and was very moist. The other half I let go until it started falling apart to make pulled beef sandwiches, it was a lot drier but was fine after I chopped it up and mixed my sauce in it.
IMO 180 degrees may be a touch to much for me?
I may give that a try.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 12:56 PM 04-23-2011
Tasty looking lamb ribs Adam and brisket Peter:-)

[Reply]
Scothew 02:03 PM 04-23-2011
Got about a 12lb wild turkey that was killed a few weeks ago sitting in a brine of salt, sugar (per Brent), black pepper, rosemary and tyhme. I'll be smoking it tomorrow morning for a dinner tomorrow evening.

What do you guys think i should baste it with while smoking? Was thinking of throwing a few oranges or apples in the cavity while it smokes for some flavor, figured maybe baste with apple juice (no sugar added) but seeing pnoon saying something above about a apple juice/olive oil mix has me interested.
[Reply]
T.G 03:39 PM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by Scothew:
Got about a 12lb wild turkey that was killed a few weeks ago sitting in a brine of salt, sugar (per Brent), black pepper, rosemary and tyhme. I'll be smoking it tomorrow morning for a dinner tomorrow evening.

What do you guys think i should baste it with while smoking?
Bacon grease. Mmmmmm bacon.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:32 PM 04-23-2011
Originally Posted by Scothew:
What do you guys think i should baste it with while smoking? Was thinking of throwing a few oranges or apples in the cavity while it smokes for some flavor, figured maybe baste with apple juice (no sugar added) but seeing pnoon saying something above about a apple juice/olive oil mix has me interested.
Peter's idea of the apple juice and olive oil should work well. It is definitely a good idea to stuff the cavity. I usually do oranges and onions.
[Reply]
Page 96 of 270
« First < 4686949596 9798106146196 > Last »
Up