Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>New Humidor Growing Pains
prophetnoir 05:48 PM 09-03-2009
Well it’s been about three weeks since my 125 count humidor arrived, sorry no pics yet other than the one that is my current avatar
I seasoned it with 4 Boveda seasoning packs and I calibrated the digital hydrometer with the Boveda calibration kit. Both worked really well and the humidor was reading at 84% just as the seasoning packs were rated. I also ordered and received my 65% beads from heartfelt in an aluminum holder, which I mounted in place of the Credo foam unit that came with the humidor. Now I am all set.
So, I drop all of my sticks in the freshly seasoned humi and the reading drops a few points to about74% … and stays there for days!
Among my sticks were two Montecristo Sublimes and they were not happy at all. The foot swelling on these two was slightly alarming and I was afraid that they would split soon. I decided to try leaving the humidor open for a few hours to see if that would drop the humidity. It had been particularly warm and humid here last week so the temperature in the apartment was hovering at around 80 degrees during the day. With the help of a fan I managed to drop the room temperature by a few degrees and slowly the humidity reading went down to about 67%. I may have over-hydrated my beads just a bit also.
Anyway, my Montes seem to be stabilizing which is a great thing since I just got four more of the same today and I really hope to get some age on them. I pulled a Punch RS 12 out today for a smoke in the park and it showed signs of still being a bit wet. I had to struggle to get any kind of decent draw from it, but it never went completely out. I did that cigar a disservice by smoking it today, but it still was a pleasure just to be smoking.
I guess I just want some reassurance that things will level out and the swollen feet on those two Montes will get back to normal and age well as long as I continue to monitor the humidity. Right now the humidor is almost half full, but I have my eye on some additions over the next month that should bring it closer to about two thirds.
Good times!
[Reply]
68TriShield 05:57 PM 09-03-2009
Dry it out. All classic symptoms of too much humidity.

60 to 65 percent is optimal for NCs in my experience.
[Reply]
poriggity 08:21 PM 09-03-2009
Yup, I'm with Dave on this one...
Scott
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:54 PM 09-03-2009
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
Dry it out. All classic symptoms of too much humidity.

60 to 65 percent is optimal for NCs in my experience.
Agreed. Dry those beads completely and let them soak up some of the excess moisture.
[Reply]
prophetnoir 04:18 PM 09-04-2009
Thanks for the replies. That was my plan and the humidity is just about where I want it to be now. I will continue monitoring it.
[Reply]
Humidor Minister 06:08 PM 09-04-2009
I've found that my ISOM's like it at 59% and everything else around 62% but no more than 65%. Anything over that an it like drawing through a 2x4. Good luck with your new humi though. IMHO start with the humidity low and bring it up to what you are comfortible with, not the other way around. :-)
[Reply]
Up