Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>iPhone
pinokio 04:20 AM 09-29-2009
I've been looking out for an iPhone, but, here in Europe, lately all you see are the "clones" looking similar to the real deal. Most people tell me that in the US iPhones are real cheap, which by the input I have is not true. What is an iPhone worth in the US? Lets place a 16GB as the wanted unit. I know there is a huge diference between units on a contract and units without contract. What about used units?

Regards
[Reply]
yachties23 04:59 AM 09-29-2009
I just upgraded from my original Gen1 Iphone to a 3GS 16 GB, and with the available upgrade in my contract it was about $200. I think Brand new without using a plan upgrade or signing a new contract they go for 400.
[Reply]
pinokio 05:17 AM 09-29-2009
Thx for the input yachties23. Seems well worth bying one from the US. Must get BOTL to aquire one for me :-) the only problem is customs... Must inform myself first...
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 11:52 AM 09-29-2009
Just a suggestion...
Unless you personally know someone here that will buy it for you, get involved in the forum, do some trades, bomb some inmates and let us get to know you before asking someone to risk that much $$$ for you.

Also, even without a contract, any us iPhone will be locked to AT&T. There are ways around that, but please keep that in mind.
[Reply]
sikk50 01:10 PM 09-29-2009
There's a website, everythingcafe I think, they always have ads on the top for unlocked iPhones.
[Reply]
pinokio 02:00 PM 09-29-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Just a suggestion...
Unless you personally know someone here that will buy it for you, get involved in the forum, do some trades, bomb some inmates and let us get to know you before asking someone to risk that much $$$ for you.

Also, even without a contract, any us iPhone will be locked to AT&T. There are ways around that, but please keep that in mind.
Completely understand your point, although I'm positive there are a few BOTL's here that know me long enough to trust me, on the other hand, never would I ask someone to risk these values for me, I'd prefer to risk myself first by transfering the money first :-) But that's besides the point, this is strictly informative, I have friends coming and going to the US regularly, but logicaly you BOTL's have a more experienced input of reality.

Thanks once again
[Reply]
kayak_rat 06:31 PM 09-29-2009
Originally Posted by pinokio:
Completely understand your point, although I'm positive there are a few BOTL's here that know me long enough to trust me, on the other hand, never would I ask someone to risk these values for me, I'd prefer to risk myself first by transfering the money first :-) But that's besides the point, this is strictly informative, I have friends coming and going to the US regularly, but logicaly you BOTL's have a more experienced input of reality.

Thanks once again
Ciao Pinokio. How is the daughter and the new house( or it was pretty new last we spoke)?? How is your brother doing? I havent caught him on skype in a while.

He was a well known member on CS for quite some time. A very good BOTL and a personal friend.
[Reply]
Blueface 06:51 PM 09-29-2009
Originally Posted by pinokio:
Lets place a 16GB as the wanted unit.
They go for $199 with the contract for a 16 GB now.
I paid $299 at the time.
You can't find them without the contract unless you go Ebay or some form of grey market. In those forums, demand and supply dictates price. I have seen some sell for $400-500, used.
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 10:33 PM 09-29-2009
I was looking for a used one to unlock and use on the tmobile service. A used one goes for $300+.That is a for the 3g. The one thing to be careful of is I heard that the 3g on the At&t is at a different frequency than tmobile. So apparently you wouldn't get 3g in my situation.

So if thats true you might not be able to get 3g service on the network you want to use it on.
[Reply]
pinokio 02:37 AM 09-30-2009
Thanks for the input you guys :-).

Originally Posted by :
Ciao Pinokio. How is the daughter and the new house( or it was pretty new last we spoke)?? How is your brother doing? I havent caught him on skype in a while.

He was a well known member on CS for quite some time. A very good BOTL and a personal friend.
Hey Kayak, I was wondering where you was :-)
I'll get Junior to sign up here or to get skype up and running. Hope everything is going your way.

Take Care
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 12:22 PM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by kayak_rat:

My mistake. You know how it's been here before, but obviously that doesn't apply here.
Glad you are here where you belong pinokio.
[Reply]
pinokio 03:14 PM 09-30-2009
Originally Posted by :
My mistake. You know how it's been here before, but obviously that doesn't apply here.
Glad you are here where you belong pinokio.
Like I said before, completely understand :-)
[Reply]
Scottastic 03:24 PM 09-30-2009
Don't get an iPhone from the states!

Here's the problem: getting an iPhone 3GS unlocked is a major pain, and nigh impossible. Even if you do get it unlocked, Europe's 3G frequencies are different from AT&T's, so you probably won't be able to use 3G data speeds with it.
[Reply]
Up