Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Help! Where should I hike in late October?
Cyanide 08:21 PM 09-09-2009
Well, I know this is a bizarre place to ask this, but hey....in the end I trust and respect the opinions of the people in this community more than I do in any name-less face-less outdoorsman forums I have come across. I "connect" more with you people here than anywhere else.

So, I throw this out to all my BOTLs/SOTLs. Direct me where I should look to put together a hike for late October.

A little about me. Strong, fit, ambitious hiker in my 30s, don't mind doing solo hiking, but will also readily partake in group hiking. Have adopted my own version of semi-ultra-light (which really means not grossly overweighted). I come from Edmonton Alberta Canada, where the summer hiking usually means walking in 20C weather (70F) and expectation of rain briefly every day but largely a fairly arid area. I like to put in one lengthy hike a year (or more if I can manage it, but work, kids, family etc....), where I go for about 15-20km/day for about 5 days. I like to do that in rugged terrain and don't consider it a good hiking day unless I pass through at least one pass. I like to scramble, but I am not a rock climber. Seeing the terrain around me for miles beats being oppressed by dense forest.

This year, though, my hiking opportunity has not appeared until late October. By that time the mountains are typically already snowing and the nights are below freezing. I could do my hike here locally, but its not really my idea of a sublime experience. This year I really need that sublime experience.

So, I am thinking that the Grand Canyon might do it for me. But, I have never been to the region. So, this is likely a naive idea at best.

What suggestions do people have for regions I should consider, or better yet, trails/loops within those regions? I would prefer weather that was likely 50-75F with minimal temperatures at night hopefully above the 40s. I really don't want to step into an area for the first time during the rainy season, but of course I would anticipate torrential rain. My airmiles would probably prefer something in the Southwest or even Northwest (Washington state?) if the weather was right.

I guess I would also need to explore the unique safety considerations for each area but that is a later consideration.

Honestly, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Help me salvage this hiking season and my sanity before I am beset by a Canadian Winter having not done any good hike this year.

Cheers to you all

John
[Reply]
Bruins Fan 08:26 PM 09-09-2009
Check out New Hampshire.
http://hikethewhites.com/
[Reply]
Sailkat 08:47 PM 09-09-2009
How about a portion of the Bruce Trail in Ontario? The area around Tobermory is incredible. If you venture farther south.....you may find a few Canadian BOTL to herf with.

http://brucetrail.org/places
[Reply]
Skywalker 09:25 PM 09-09-2009
One word!!!

Yosemite!!!

http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm
[Reply]
Prospector 09:33 PM 09-09-2009
Arizona has much to offer that would satisfy your requirements: October is between rainy seasons and is one of the driest months in an already dry state. If you stick to mid-level altitudes (3,000 to 7,000 feet) you will satisfy your temperature preferences (above 7,000 and you're in the mountains with the likelihood of freezing temps at night, and below 3,000 you're in the low deserts which are still fairly warm in October, although not that bad). Also much of the terrain is very wide open with some incredible scenery.

The Colorado Plateau in Northern Arizona (which includes the Grand Canyon) is very open and includes mountains, canyons, and windswept plains - a little something for everybody. And don't discount the Grand Canyon either. There are plenty of resources available online to help you plan your trip. I have only day-hiked there myself as I am long past the days of backpacking, but I would if I could. Planning and logistics will be the concerns there, what with backcountry permit requirements, the need to carry large quantities of water, and temperature extremes due to changes in elevation.

There are also vast treks of land just outside the National Park that offer hiking opportunities, but by being in National Forests or National Recreation Areas rather than a National Park the rules and restrictions are much less. Both Lake Mead and Lake Powell are surrounded by large National Recreation Areas, and The Kaibab National Forest extends both North and South of the National Park (although the Northern section will likely be too cold that time of year).

There are other areas in the southwest as well - many other areas - but I have always been partial to the Colorado Plateau region for its incredible scenery. My wife and I just recently returned from a motorcycle trip to Bryce Canyon in Utah, which is also on the Colorado Plateau. Incredible scenery and an area that I would love to hike, but by October it would likely be too cold.

Good luck with your choice and with your adventure.
[Reply]
kgoings 09:38 PM 09-09-2009
Yea come on down to AZ and hike the Grand Canyon. I know some big time hikers out here that love to hike that area and could give you some input. PM me your email and I will have one of them email you.

BUT if you come to AZ to hike you are required to come to Phoenix and herf with us!
[Reply]
markem 09:40 PM 09-09-2009
Having done my share of mountaineering and also deep country backpacking, I'd say that perhaps Glacier National Park or even up to the Banff area would be incredible in October. Some good route planning and some last minute local beta on conditions should give you some really great experiences with none of the mosquitoes and few of the tourons. If you like remote as well, then maybe the Bogaboos in SE British Columbia. I've done multi-day rock climbing routes there up to early October with only mild snow to deal with.
[Reply]
Cyanide 05:59 PM 09-10-2009
Oh My....

I just came across this article on the "Royal Arch Loop". This hike is looking to be about as incredible as they come.

Check it out at backpacker magazine

All I have to do now is figure how to carry 3 gallons of water
[Reply]
Mark C 03:45 PM 09-11-2009
If you can swing the flight, check out one of the southern sections of the Appalachian Trail. Might be a tad late for the nicest leaf colors, but it's been wet lately so who knows. Temperatures should be right where you want 'em. I hear the Virginia portion is at least moderately challenging.
[Reply]
Cyanide 05:40 PM 09-13-2009
So many good ideas....

Thanks tons to all, and I would appreciate the continued suggestions, for my own selfish reasons (the more ideas the better, for future considerations).

In a few minutes the Grand Canyon rangers will be phoning me back to tell me my options.

In the meantime, do I have any takers? I am looking for a potential hiking buddy (no broke back mountain) for around Oct17-25th roughly (5 days in that time frame). At this moment, if the rangers say its a good plan, I intend to do the royal arch loop as mentioned above. So, its not an easy hike by any means. There is a stretch of potentially two days without water right at the beginning. So, packweights would start off being 25lbs water plus food and equipment. I intend on doing this myself, but if someone wants to join me (and you got to think you are capable of it, this trail has killed people) let me know. We will smoke big stogies at all the major landscape spectacles!

Cheers

John
[Reply]
Starscream 05:48 PM 09-13-2009
I love the Appalachain Trail. I've only hiked a 10 mile portion in North Carolina, but I loved it. Maybe a little far from CA, but still worthwhile.

Most National and State parks have decent hiking trails as well.
[Reply]
smokin5 08:59 PM 09-13-2009
I won't hike Grand Canyon with you, but when you finish, give me a holler (I live 'bout 1-1/2 hours from there), & I'll throw you a h3ll of a party, mile-high style:-)

Another choice for a smaller hike is Oak Creek Canyon, just East of Sedona, AZ.
[Reply]
kayak_rat 06:38 AM 09-14-2009
Definately some good choices. For an off the radar experience....check out the trails in the Ozarks of Arkansas and Missouri. The Buffalo River Trail and the Ozark Highlands Trail offer some stellar views and challenging hiking. Middle of October should put leaves in full color.
[Reply]
Cyanide 09:21 AM 10-04-2009
Its all set!

Packed

And here is the arsenal I am going to take

I am STOKED!

Cheers

Cy
Attached:
[Reply]
Sailkat 09:30 AM 10-04-2009
Have a great trip!
[Reply]
Prospector 01:55 PM 10-04-2009
Yes, have a great and safe trip. Where did you finally decide to go?
[Reply]
Cyanide 03:07 PM 10-04-2009
I am doing 6 days, 5 nights on the Tonto Trail, South Rim Grand Canyon. First day I enter at the Bright Angel trailhead, push though to Salt Creek campground (also known as The Inferno, for some reason). Next night I travel over to Granite Rapids campground where I hope to set camp on the banks of the Colorado River. Then, I head into the Boucher Area (its kind of an unmaintained "wild" section of the park, so bring a cat trowel for bathroom breaks). Then on day 5 I immerge back to the maintained areas to rest at Hermit Creek CG. Day six sees me top the rim and catch a bus back to Phoenix. I fly out the next night. Hoping to entice some peeps to have a Herf at the end there. I will know better after I make my bus reservations tommorrow.

Cheers

Cy
[Reply]
SilverFox 05:15 PM 10-04-2009
Originally Posted by Cyanide:
Its all set!

Packed
Attachment 4080

And here is the arsenal I am going to take
Attachment 4081
Attachment 4082
Attachment 4083

I am STOKED!

Cheers

Cy
Packed...............yikes son that is less than I bring to a herf
[Reply]
Cyanide 06:49 PM 10-04-2009
I had to make a decision between 3 more cigars or bringing the LGC....clearly the LGC won out. I love that cigar. That reminds me, I might be able to fit that Partagas Salamone I have in there as well.....time to do tetris.
[Reply]
smokin5 09:06 PM 10-04-2009
PM me your plans. If possible, I'll arrange meet you at the end of your trek on the South Rim with a smoking stogie in hand. And what the heck, one for you. :-)
[Reply]
Up