Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Coffee Discussion>help with cleaning the moka pot
davearob 11:13 AM 04-02-2009
I have been using a Bialetti Moka pot for almost a year now. What an amazing coffee maker. Even got my wife addicted to it. For the last few months I have been having several black deposits building in the water chamber. I have scrubbed and used all kinds of soap trying to clean this off with little success. It doesn't seem to affect the coffee at all but its appearance bothers me. I have been thinking about using CLR to see if it would take it off but I am concerned about it damaging the aluminum. Has anybody else saw this? Will CLR damage it?
Thanks
Dave
[Reply]
ashtonlady 02:53 PM 04-02-2009
Did you try White Vingar?
[Reply]
md4958 03:02 PM 04-02-2009
I wouldnt use CLR just because its not food safe... the blackening is normal... almost all the ones ive seen that get a good amount of use have these spots.

It might be unsightly, but unless youre cleaning or filling it, how often do you look inside the water chamber?
[Reply]
Mister Moo 06:54 PM 04-02-2009
I take it to be spots of aluminum oxidation; all mine have the same. If you think you're headed for Alzheimers get a stainless steel pot - lose the crema, keep your mind?
[Reply]
germantown rob 04:40 AM 04-03-2009
Mine aluminum would drive you bonkers then. The bottom doesn't really drain well after rinsing so moisture gets trapped. I find if you dry it immediately with a towel and store it away with a paper towel in the bottom you can slow down the pitting but can't stop it. I use my Stainless everyday and it is the same as new, same great taste just no crema as Mr Moo said.
My 3 week old Brikka has oxidation already happening in the bottom.
[Reply]
Up