Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Rocky Patel 1990 vintage torpedo
Don Fernando 05:14 AM 08-02-2010
I smoked two Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage's before, a robusto in 2007 and a 'A' last week and both cigars didn't agree with my palate. I still got myself a Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage torpedo as the importer stops importing them for The Netherlands and is having a blown out of the last remaining boxes at his Oliva Cigar Lounge/NPU cigarshop in Den Bosch. You can get a box of these 6¼x52 cellophane wrapped smokes for €80.00 while it lasts.

The maduro broadleaf wrapper has a nice chocolate brown color and contains a lot of veins. The wrapper is also shiny and oily. I love the classy bands. The construction is great and I get a pretty good predraw that reminds me of a mild pepper. The cigar has a unique smell of dry autumn leaves.

I taste a somewhat bitter earthy flavor with some wood. The bitterness disappears soon and the wood becomes the main flavor with some spices in the aftertaste. After an inch I also taste a hint of chocolate. Wood is still the main flavor with some scorched earth and chocolate on the background.

Halfway the wood turns into a nut flavor. The sweet chocolate has disappeared, just like the other flavors. The nut flavor gains some strength and a herbal freshness joins in.

The smoke time of this cigar is exactly two hours. The draw is good and I hardly had any burn issues. I got a lot of smoke that was medium thick. The ash is light colored and quite firm. The wrapper tore on some places while smoking. This cigar is medium bodied and medium flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, most Rocky Patel's just don't do it for me and this is one of them.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:20 AM 08-02-2010
Another fine Ferdie. I am with you on the Rocky Patels...I just haven't found many sticks from his line that excite me. While I do enjoy the Edge Maduro, Sumatra and the Decade...everything else I've had just didn't WOW me.
[Reply]
G G 08:40 AM 08-02-2010
Nice review. I have had a few of those and have enjoyed them.
[Reply]
icantbejon 08:46 AM 08-02-2010
I haven't had a RP vintage in quite some time. I used to like them...but I believe that my tastes have drastically changed within this past year so I likely would not any more. I've tried a few sticks recently that I used to love and they are falling flat for me.
[Reply]
BlackDog 08:48 AM 08-02-2010
I agree, are good cigars, but not great. Nice review!
[Reply]
Mr B 10:17 AM 08-02-2010
Nice review Ferdie. I agree w/ you on not liking these much at all. I do however like the Vintage 92, but only in the small RG (Perfecto & Petite Corona). The larger RG's are too mild and get boring. The small guys have a little spice that I like.
[Reply]
Bill86 03:00 AM 08-07-2010
Yeah I had a vintage 1990 robusto didn't really do it for me the Olde World Reserve was much better.
[Reply]
MikeyRocks 03:12 PM 08-11-2010
Glad I'm not the only one. Bought a sampler of 10 from Cbid a while back and regret it. Also tried the RP Edge Lite and I've come to the conclusion that RPs are not for me.
[Reply]
hotreds 04:23 PM 08-11-2010
I love the RP 90s- at least I did when I started this never ending journey of ours.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 03:48 PM 08-17-2010
Just got done smoking one of these...very underwhelmed.
[Reply]
Kreth 04:06 PM 08-17-2010
Vintage 90s can be sent to me for disposal... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
longknocker 04:39 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
I haven't had a RP vintage in quite some time. I used to like them...but I believe that my tastes have drastically changed within this past year so I likely would not any more. I've tried a few sticks recently that I used to love and they are falling flat for me.
My Feelings, Exactly, Brother!:-) Nice Review, Ferdie!:-)
[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 04:49 PM 08-17-2010
As an RP rep for a while... I am shocked as to how many people were pushed down the slope by the RP 1990 and 1992's. No Joke, hundreds of people told me that this cigar is the reason they are cigar smokers.
[Reply]
Mr B 04:52 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by RPguy:
As an RP rep for a while... I am shocked as to how many people were pushed down the slope by the RP 1990 and 1992's. No Joke, hundreds of people told me that this cigar is the reason they are cigar smokers.

I believe it Jamie. It seems though that most people like either one or the other and not so much both.
The 92 Vintage perfecto is still my "on the way to the lake stick". My local lake is only like 40 minutes so its the perfect length and goes great w/ coffee at 5am
[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 04:55 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by Mr B:
I believe it Jamie. It seems though that most people like either one or the other and not so much both.
The 92 Vintage perfecto is still my "on the way to the lake stick". My local lake is only like 40 minutes so its the perfect length and goes great w/ coffee at 5am
The size gives it the boost in body that it needs. Good smoke! :-) Try the PC too. It's better on the early draw.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 05:03 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by RPguy:
To each his own. How many people aren't happy with smoking Macanudo? Or any other General product? If they like these smokes, good for them. Who am I to judge? Smoke what you like, and if that is a RP Vintage 1990, then go and have one :-)
[Reply]
Giant & 49er Fan 05:44 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
To each his own. How many people aren't happy with smoking Macanudo? Or any other General product? If they like these smokes, good for them. Who am I to judge? Smoke what you like, and if that is a RP Vintage 1990, then go and have one :-)
Preach it brother. Preach it!
[Reply]
Starscream 05:51 PM 08-17-2010
Originally Posted by icantbejon:
Not as good as they used to be to me, but I still like 'em.:-)

Props to Rocky!
[Reply]
Up