Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Sports>NFL Holdouts....Your thoughts?
BigAsh 11:16 AM 08-08-2011
Just got word that Desean Jackson finally ended his holdout and reported to EAGLES camp....I agree he is woefully underpaid, but is under a contract...I believe the contract should be honored, by both player and team....Naive, I know...What do the rest of you think....in favor of players holding out for more $$?...why don't we see this in other sports?
[Reply]
EricF 11:19 AM 08-08-2011
The Giants have the same issue with Osi. The difference is that Osi showed up and rode the stationary bike to keep him from the 30K a day fine for not showing. Now he says he needs knee surgery!

I agree, if you sign a contract, then honor it!!!!!
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 11:23 AM 08-08-2011
I think if you ***** about not making enough money for playing a game then you should not get paid at all.
[Reply]
jledou 11:23 AM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by BigAsh:
.I agree he is woefully underpaid,
They are so underpaid ... just calculate how many years it will take you to make their salary this year and then see it you still feel sorry for them ... they signed the contract they should play IMO.
[Reply]
BigAsh 11:26 AM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by jledou:
They are so underpaid ... just calculate how many years it will take you to make their salary this year and then see it you still feel sorry for them ... they signed the contract they should play IMO.
:-)....woefully underpaid RELATIVE to other NFL players at his position...
[Reply]
Stephen 11:50 AM 08-08-2011
Just got word that Desean Jackson finally ended his holdout and reported to EAGLES camp....I agree he is woefully underpaid, but is under a contract...I believe the contract should be honored, by both player and team....Naive, I know...What do the rest of you think....in favor of players holding out for more $$?...why don't we see this in other sports?
From my understanding, players have really been neutered in using this as a tactic to get a new contract under the new CBA (I believe it has something to do with accruing time towards free agency eligibility). As for why we don't see this in other sports, my guess would be because of guaranteed contracts.
[Reply]
Stephen 11:54 AM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by EricF:
The Giants have the same issue with Osi. The difference is that Osi showed up and rode the stationary bike to keep him from the 30K a day fine for not showing. Now he says he needs knee surgery!

I agree, if you sign a contract, then honor it!!!!!
Originally Posted by jledou:
On the flip side, if the team offered the contract and it was agreed to by all parties, shouldn't they honor it as well?
[Reply]
BigAsh 11:54 AM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by Stephen:
From my understanding, players have really been neutered in using this as a tactic to get a new contract under the new CBA (I believe it has something to do with accruing time towards free agency eligibility). As for why we don't see this in other sports, my guess would be because of guaranteed contracts.
thats why he came back today....passed tomorrow he would've lost a year towards FA eligibilty...
[Reply]
chippewastud79 11:59 AM 08-08-2011
Unfortunately it is the only tactic players can use to attempt to get a new contract. The owners don't have to honor contracts, so why are players expected to do the same? :-)
[Reply]
loki 12:05 PM 08-08-2011
nearly $900,000 to play football is "woefully underpaid"? get the **** on.

seriously, underpaid?

Signed for 4 years, $3,058,000 after being drafted in the 2nd round of the 2008 draft. The deal included a 1.353M signing bonus prorated over 4 years. He triggered a one-time bonus of 391,335 in 2009.
[Reply]
MikeyC 12:08 PM 08-08-2011
I hate when players hold out and say it's because they have out performed their contract and deserve a raise. If a player under performs are they going to give money back?
[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:13 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by MikeyC:
I hate when players hold out and say it's because they have out performed their contract and deserve a raise. If a player under performs are they going to give money back?
No, if they under-perform, they get cut and get no money. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 12:15 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by MikeyC:
No, in professional football, they are cut.... Happens to a bunch of players every year.... We are not talking about the guaranteed contracts of the NBA and MLB.

Speaking only for the NFL. I am all for holding out and getting what you think you deserve. Players only have a VERY, VERY, VERY small window to make any money at this profession and contracts are not honored by management. If they don't produce, they will just be cut...done deal...

So long story short, I'd never be a bargain player....I'd get what I was worth or damn sure try.
[Reply]
loki 12:21 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by E.J.:
No, in professional football, they are cut.... Happens to a bunch of players every year.... We are not talking about the guaranteed contracts of the NBA and MLB.

Speaking only for the NFL. I am all for holding out and getting what you think you deserve. Players only have a VERY, VERY, VERY small window to make any money at this profession and contracts are not honored by management. If they don't produce, they will just be cut...done deal...

So long story short, I'd never be a bargain player....I'd get what I was worth or damn sure try.
he signed a contract. if i decide i'm under payed at work I can't just stop showing up to get more i'm gona get ****ing fired, not get more money. play out your contract and then try and "get dat papah".
[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:22 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by loki:
nearly $900,000 to play football is "woefully underpaid"? get the **** on.

seriously, underpaid?

Signed for 4 years, $3,058,000 after being drafted in the 2nd round of the 2008 draft. The deal included a 1.353M signing bonus prorated over 4 years. He triggered a one-time bonus of 391,335 in 2009.
Relative to the other professional sports, how much the owners make versus the players, given that a large majority of the money is not guaranteed and the window to make money is so much shorter in the NFL, yes. :-)
[Reply]
loki 12:23 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
Relative to the other professional sports, how much the owners make versus the players, given that a large majority of the money is not guaranteed and the window to make money is so much shorter in the NFL, yes. :-)
bullshit, he's making near $900,000 this year. shut up and play or quit playing and go sell cars. no ones forcing him to play in this slavery system that's going on here
[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:24 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by loki:
he signed a contract. if i decide i'm under payed at work I can't just stop showing up to get more i'm gona get ****ing fired, not get more money. play out your contract and then try and "get dat papah".
Unlike other sports, where the money is guaranteed, its not that easy. The owners can throw away a contract at any time, the players don't have the same luxury. If he gets injured this season, do you think the owners will still negotiate a contract with him as if he wasn't? :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 12:27 PM 08-08-2011
why don't we see this in other sports?
It's all about guaranteed dollars. NFL players, on average, have a very limited career span -- I believe it is the lowest among the 4 major professional leagues. The system is (or at least was) wildly tilted in the owners favor once a player was under contract. I think it's tremendously disingenuous for owners to cry about players wanting to re-negotiate their contracts and using hold outs to get that accomplished when the owners have no problem cutting players mid-contract.
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:27 PM 08-08-2011
If they continue to allow players to do this...then I believe they should allow owners to drop their salaries when they have a bad year. This is the biggest load of crap out there. While I have no doubt that he is underpaid for his position, by ability alone, he signed a contract...HONOR IT!!!
[Reply]
chippewastud79 12:30 PM 08-08-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
If they continue to allow players to do this...then I believe they should allow owners to drop their salaries when they have a bad year. This is the biggest load of crap out there. While I have no doubt that he is underpaid for his position, by ability alone, he signed a contract...HONOR IT!!!
They do have that ability, its called cutting players, making the contract $0. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up