Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Sports>Tour de France 2011
The Poet 01:35 PM 07-02-2011
Like Noodles, I prefer the Giro. And after what I saw from Contador in Italy, I would be surprised if he's not there in Paris at the end.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:24 PM 07-02-2011
Originally Posted by E.J.:
Well, Cantador has his work cut out for him now....

He is probably pretty lucky that the TTT is so short, or he could be out of the race day 2.....:-)
Saxo has a pretty strong TTT team, top 3 for sure.
[Reply]
E.J. 07:15 AM 07-03-2011
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
Saxo has a pretty strong TTT team, top 3 for sure.
I disagree....:-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:08 AM 07-03-2011
it's easy to say that after the race E.J.

Saxo disappointed, Rabo surprised me.
[Reply]
E.J. 12:38 PM 07-03-2011
it's easy to say that after the race E.J.

Saxo disappointed, Rabo surprised me.
For the record, that was not after the race, it was during. It was also posted without having read about or watched a second of the race.... Post was at 7:15 AM local, which would have been 3:15 in France, which if my thinking is correct, Saxo would have been in 1st at the time.....

My comments yesterday back up the fact that I didn't think Saxo would scare anyone in the TTT and that chances were, Contador would lose time today.... Which was spot on...
[Reply]
Don Fernando 09:21 PM 07-03-2011
ok, well, I read it after the race.

I expected more from Saxo, but they didn't lose that much time anyway, not like Basso for example.
[Reply]
E.J. 12:14 PM 07-04-2011
Good for Tyler Farrar! Nice to see him finally get a TdF stage win....

He also became the first American to win a Tour de France stage on July 4.
[Reply]
Noodles 11:53 AM 07-05-2011
the amounts found in his blood were too low to have any effect. But then again, he was involved with Dr. Fuentes before, he has a sketchy past and I don't like him. He's not a fair sporter, the way he stole the tour from Schleck last year was weak and unfair, he could only beat Rasmussen because Rasmussen was taken out of competition. Contador isn't that great.
Agree with the Rasmussen. That was too bad for him.

BUT, saying Contador ain't that 'great' is a little bit of a stretch. When the hills gets steeper, he gets better. He is one of my favorite climbers.

Not going to discuss if he doped or not. It's the Spanish Cycling Federation's decision not to suspend him that is a shame. Landis must be wishing he was born in Mayorga, Spain instead of Lancaster, PA. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 06:28 PM 07-05-2011
Good for Cadel today....first time he has rode across the line 1st in a stage of the TdF. Too bad he didn't know if he won or not, didn't even get to celebrate....:-)

Another fun finish....
[Reply]
jesseboston81 01:53 PM 07-10-2011
What a dangerous start this has been to the Tour, and two of the accidents wouldn't have happened but for careless drivers. For anyone who may think cyclists aren't tough, today a French TV caused an accident in the lead, breakaway group while attempting to pass. The car hit one rider and knocked him into another, sending the second rider flying off of his bike and into a barbed wire fence. Here's a video of the accident, and here's a picture of the second rider extracting himself from the barbed wire fence (the picture has some blood and half a cyclist's bare rear end). Both went on to finish the rest of the stage today. Accidents are a part of the sport, and many riders (including others today) have had to drop out of the Tour due to very serious accidents, but my thoughts especially go out to Flecha and Hoogerland for being the victims of irresponsible driving today.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 02:38 PM 07-10-2011
Here's a video of Hoogerland, overcome with emotion, being awarded his King of the Mountains jersey. I haven't seen whether or not he will withdraw, but I hope he can at least attempt to continue.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:46 AM 07-11-2011
He's not withdrawing, he actually trained today and said he will defend his jersey until thursday
[Reply]
jesseboston81 10:51 AM 07-11-2011
He's not withdrawing, he actually trained today and said he will defend his jersey until thursday
Glad to hear that. If there's any "good" day for a crash, it's the day before a rest day. Hopefully today he'll be able to recover with some tranquility and be able ride the next few stages well.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 11:55 AM 07-11-2011
I hope so too, he's a national hero now here in The Netherlands
[Reply]
jesseboston81 11:57 AM 07-11-2011
I hope so too, he's a national hero now here in The Netherlands
I'm not surprised; he's a world hero now among cycling fans everywhere.
[Reply]
E.J. 01:33 PM 07-11-2011
...and we have our first positive doping test....Alexandr Kolobnev

http://msn.foxsports.com/cycling/sto...ng-test-071111
[Reply]
jesseboston81 01:37 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by E.J.:
...and we have our first positive doping test....Alexandr Kolobnev

http://msn.foxsports.com/cycling/sto...ng-test-071111
I don't know which saddens me more: that riders are still illegally doping, or that the UCI's anti-doping controls and policies are such that riders still believe they can get away with illegally doping in a Grand Tour.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 08:12 AM 07-13-2011
A new T-shirt for the Dutch, or anyone else impressed by Hoogerland's grit. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 09:31 AM 07-14-2011
Frank, Andy, Cadel & Ivan all put time into Cantador...
[Reply]
jesseboston81 09:37 AM 07-14-2011
Contador just doesn't have it in him this year. As far behind as he was going into this stage, he had to be the one putting time into the others, not the other way around. If he couldn't do it today he won't be able to at all. He especially suffered when the Schlecks started one-two punching him.

Edit: He couldn't even finish with the group of Basso, Evans, and Andy Schleck.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up