Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Puff, Puff, Pass.
Comedian 02:28 PM 11-28-2010
Okay. I know at all these herf events that a lot of you do the puff, puff, pass thing as a way to sample cigars. Correct me if I am mistaken, of course.

I honestly don't understand this. Doesn't it take a lot more than a few puffs to truly experience a cigar?

Basically, what I'm gettin' at: Is it really worth the saliva swapping? Am I the only one that is kinda grossed out by this idea?

I'd rather swap spit with a woman, not a bunch of guys.. no offense of course to any fellow CA members that play on the other team. :-)

I extrapolated from some of the posts I've seen pertaining to various herf events that it might be considered rude if you don't participate.. wassupwitdat? :-)

Also, for anybody that's ever passed a J around in their youth(or the present:-) ), isn't it frustrating when you put the J to your lips only to find somebody has slobbered all over it? This is my dilemma with the PPF.

Enlighten me, please.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 02:30 PM 11-28-2010
Yes, this can become somewhat annoying to say the least.
But when you have people bring sticks that are older than I am by a long shot, I think it's worth it.
I'd like to be able to sat I tasted a 1940's Clear havana and enjoyed it (or hated it as it may be) then to say I missed the chance.
[Reply]
Bill86 02:34 PM 11-28-2010
From what I hear sometimes they'll PPP VERY expensive or VERY rare cigars. 50-70's Dunhills/Davidoff CC's that have price tags of $80-$150 per cigar.

But I agree with you and fully understand your reasons not to want to participate in a PPP, I really wouldn't either.
[Reply]
akumushi 02:35 PM 11-28-2010
It depends on the smokes being passed around, and your level of OCD. I don't really give a crap about a tiny bit of spit, especially if it's with a few friends that I know well, and frankly, there are some cigars that are passed around at HERFs that leave a lasting impression of fleeting nirvana even after just a few puffs. It's kind of like like saying, why just have sex with a supermodel if you can't marry her? Because buddy, if that's the closest you can get, you might as well go for it.
[Reply]
14holestogie 02:38 PM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by Comedian:
Okay. I know at all these herf events that a lot of you do the puff, puff, pass thing as a way to sample cigars. Correct me if I am mistaken, of course.

I honestly don't understand this. Doesn't it take a lot more than a few puffs to truly experience a cigar?
The cigar typically passes from start to completion, so you definitely get to experience the changes.

Basically, what I'm gettin' at: Is it really worth the saliva swapping? Am I the only one that is kinda grossed out by this idea?
It isn't always worth it, but why take the chance of missing out on a great cigar you may never be able to sample otherwise? A 1970's DPG I was able to sample recently leaps to my mind.

I'd rather swap spit with a woman, not a bunch of guys.. no offense of course to any fellow CA members that play on the other team. :-)

I extrapolated from some of the posts I've seen pertaining to various herf events that it might be considered rude if you don't participate.. wassupwitdat? :-)
Totally up to you whether you wish to participate. Never saw any comments at any I've participated in if you choose not to participate.

Also, for anybody that's ever passed a J around in their youth(or the present:-) ), isn't it frustrating when you put the J to your lips only to find somebody has slobbered all over it? This is my dilemma with the PPF.

Enlighten me, please.
To each his own, but I'd hate to miss out on a special moment with a special stick.
[Reply]
SNKBYT 02:39 PM 11-28-2010
like stated above.......it happens sometimes but most of the PPPs are a dry experience & getting to try smokes that you never by yourself is worth it IMO
[Reply]
Ogre 02:41 PM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
Yes, this can become somewhat annoying to say the least.
But when you have people bring sticks that are older than I am by a long shot, I think it's worth it.
I'd like to be able to sat I tasted a 1940's Clear havana and enjoyed it (or hated it as it may be) then to say I missed the chance.
:-)
[Reply]
bobarian 02:52 PM 11-28-2010
There are certain people at certain herfs who you dont question when they pass you a smoke to try.:-) But it certainly is your choice whether to participate or not. I've never seen or reacted negatively when someone declined. :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:56 PM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
There are certain people at certain herfs who you dont question when they pass you a smoke to try.:-) But it certainly is your choice whether to participate or not. I've never seen or reacted negatively when someone declined. :-)
I've never declined anything Bob has PPPed!!!:-)
[Reply]
Comedian 02:56 PM 11-28-2010
I see all of your points, and I understand your positions, but I do not think I will participate in one.

Besides that, even though I cannot enjoy some of the massively rare and expensive smokes due to a lack of funds right now, I believe that it is a only a matter of time before I will be able to.

Big dreams! Once I get there, it's free rare smokes for everybody. That'll make up for my unwillingness to partake in the PPP, right? :-)
[Reply]
Comedian 02:57 PM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I question everything, so that might be an issue. :-)
[Reply]
markem 02:59 PM 11-28-2010
it is your call. You should never be singled out for not wanting to participate and at the same time you should not make an issue out of it.
[Reply]
DennisP 03:08 PM 11-28-2010
No problem in not participating. For those that do, remember to dry lip the cigar though.

There is a constant rotation of cigars being passed at the S.H.I.T. herfs. Sometimes people don't participate, no big deal. I usually do but have no problems skipping a cigar that didn't do much for me on later passes.
[Reply]
Comedian 03:08 PM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
it is your call. You should never be singled out for not wanting to participate and at the same time you should not make an issue out of it.
I'm not making an issue out of it, bub, just wonderin' what the fuss is all about, that's all.

ぼくわにほんごへたです。。。

日本語お話しますか
[Reply]
markem 03:17 PM 11-28-2010
Originally Posted by Comedian:
I'm not making an issue out of it, bub, just wonderin' what the fuss is all about, that's all.
okay Bub. But I was stating that if offered a cigar in a puff pass that you should not make an issue of it at that time.

okay Bub?
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:27 PM 11-28-2010
I never participate in a ppp, for two reasons: hygene and like you said, you can't judge a cigar on a few puffs anyway.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 03:30 PM 11-28-2010
I try and make sure when Bob passes me a cigar, I wet that son of a bish so he won't want it back. :-)
[Reply]
Superbad 03:53 PM 11-28-2010
I PPP'd a 50's clear havana at EPIC, I had. It was a really good cigar, and I wanted to share it with the group. Sometimes this might be the only chance people will have to try something like that.
[Reply]
kafreeman 03:57 PM 11-28-2010
Seems kinda gross... but... as long as everyone doesnt slobber all over it
[Reply]
Superbad 04:01 PM 11-28-2010
Just drink lots of liquor and any germs don't have a chance!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 23 > Last »
Up