Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 9 of 11
« First < 789 1011 >
All Cigar Discussion>CC's or NC's?
akumushi 01:22 PM 04-08-2012
Originally Posted by pektel:
Been smoking a few nc's over the last few days because of this thread. 2 most notable were the lgc artisanos de Miami, and a tat anarchy.

My take on nc's vs cc's as of the last few days: the nc's, while very good, are almost "cigars for dummies." Not because of skill level or intelligance level of the smoker, but everything is "in your face" apparent with nc's. I didn't need to focus on the cigar to notice all the flavors. They are "easy" cigars to me, if that makes sense.

Cc's, to me, take attention and focus, and the rewards are great once you take the time to appreciate them. You have to pay attention to the burn, the draw, the retrohale, the subtleties and nuances that seem to only occur in cc's. In my experience, smoking a cc is more involved, and more ritualistic.

Kind of like driving a manual vs automatic transmission.

My two cents, after a few drinks. YMMV.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is a great analogy. CCs are something you have to baby. I always chuckle when I read reviewers complaining about having a single purge, a touch up or a re-light, or having to re-clip the end or massage the cigar a little to ease up the draw. These are all things I do obsessively to the point that they have become second nature to me, something I expect and perhaps even look forward to as part of the cigar smoking experience. NCs are cigars for people who want it to work straight out of the box and do everything for them. CCs are for the tinkerers.
[Reply]
Apexkingjusto 04:06 PM 04-08-2012
i kinda of want to get rid of every cigar in my collection to just keep my cc except for oliva v #4. God of Fire, Padron, Opus X, all my rp's, my fathers......i'd trade them all for trini reys and cohiba siglos, throw in a couple monti pe's and #2's and I'd be a very happy man if this was all I smoked. In the meantime I will let my cc's sit and rest while I smoke my nc or maybe someone will buy them from me :-) or better yet trade for cc
[Reply]
oooo35980 05:18 PM 04-08-2012
I've never smoked a CC, but to justify breaking the law, dealing with shady sources, worrying about my shipment getting intercepted, possibility of being sent fakes, and apparently reclipping, relighting, purging, having to concentrate just to pick up the flavors, plus the extra cost, CCs would have to be so crazy out of this world over the top amazing that my head would explode simply from being in the room with one.

Not to say I wouldn't smoke one if I had it, but man that's alot of PIA just to sit on my back porch and enjoy a stogie. I don't know that they could possibly be good enough to justify the effort in obtaining them IMO. Maybe one day things will be different, until then I am more than happy to smoke NCs.
[Reply]
BMack 06:05 PM 04-08-2012
It's really not that bad, they're rather easy to come by and the prices can be cheaper than many high-end premiums. There are plenty of CCs under $10 a piece.

...That being said, they always do benefit from rest/aging. In fact, some practically demand aging but I'm sure you've noticed that since you got your first humidor that a year or two into it you have cigars that are a year or so rested. It just takes some time...in the mean time there are some great brothers that occasionally sell aged CCs for no profit, just to make room. This is very beneficial in the beginning stages of that side of the hobby.
[Reply]
Whipper Snapper 06:26 PM 04-08-2012
CC's or NC's? Copious amounts of both please :-)
But, more CC's than NC's
[Reply]
maninblack 07:52 PM 04-08-2012
NC's=cigars for dummies. This made me laugh. Hard. Guess I should be more refined.
[Reply]
pektel 09:34 PM 04-08-2012
Originally Posted by maninblack:
NC's=cigars for dummies. This made me laugh. Hard. Guess I should be more refined.
I tried to clarify, brother. I meant no disrespect. Sorry if you took it as an insult, as that was never my intention. I have no place to talk about refinement, as I'm as refined as a drunk goat. Just trying to state the difference -as I see it- between nc's and cc's.

And Kevin, please remember your previous post. Just saying ... its probably been awhile since you've worn the CA skirt.... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
icehog3 10:44 PM 04-08-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I've never smoked a CC, but to justify breaking the law, dealing with shady sources, My sources aren't shady, and lots of others have "unshady" ones as well. worrying about my shipment getting intercepted, once in 8 years for me , possibility of being sent fakes, hasn't happened from a source yet and apparently reclipping, relighting, purging, maybe the poster's experience, but certainly not mine having to concentrate just to pick up the flavors becomes second nature in time , plus the extra cost I find most of the CCs I smoke to be less expensive than most premium NCs , CCs would have to be so crazy out of this world over the top amazing that my head would explode simply from being in the room with one.

Not to say I wouldn't smoke one if I had it, but man that's alot of PIA just to sit on my back porch and enjoy a stogie. I don't know that they could possibly be good enough to justify the effort in obtaining them IMO It isn't really any more effort than mail ordering most NCs...and yes, to some they are that good. Maybe one day things will be different, until then I am more than happy to smoke NCs.
Some thoughts of mine in red. :-)
[Reply]
oooo35980 11:09 PM 04-08-2012
A company that would knowingly ship a product somewhere that it is illegal to buy, sell or even have is automatically shady IMO. Also the fact that I can get CCs for about as much as premium NCs doesn't mean much, I can't afford to exclusively smoke LPs or Padron Annis either, CCs are pretty darn expensive, to me anyway. I'm happy you have good sources and rarely get a shipment intercepted, and I sincerely hope your good fortune continues.
I wish the world were different and I could just go to a b&m, pick up a few CC singles to try and see what all the fuss is about, maybe keep a few for a special occasion if I really really like em. Exactly like I do with the high end NCs, but I can't. For me illegal+expensive makes it a deal breaker, just not worth it.
[Reply]
Bill86 11:13 PM 04-08-2012
A company that would knowingly ship a product somewhere that it is illegal to buy, sell or even have is automatically shady IMO. Also the fact that I can get CCs for about as much as premium NCs doesn't mean much, I can't afford to exclusively smoke LPs or Padron Annis either, CCs are pretty darn expensive, to me anyway. I'm happy you have good sources and rarely get a shipment intercepted, and I sincerely hope your good fortune continues.
I wish the world were different and I could just go to a b&m, pick up a few CC singles to try and see what all the fuss is about, maybe keep a few for a special occasion if I really really like em. Exactly like I do with the high end NCs, but I can't. For me illegal+expensive makes it a deal breaker, just not worth it.

CC's cost(decent ones, not sh*t) $3-$.....well I dunno some ballers might have ~$600 or so VINTAGE VHTF CC's.

So if you can afford $3-$6 a smoke you could easily smoke exclusively CC's.

If you could go to a B&M and buy them, you wouldn't like the prices. Ask the members that live in other countries.

Many of them technically still get them "illegally". "Discreet" shipping so they don't get hit with taxes.

FWIW :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 11:31 PM 04-08-2012
Undertand your feelings, though I disagree with your propostion that shipping to the US automatically makes them "shady". I have met several of these people in person, and consider them upstanding gentlemen.

Possibly someday you will be able to walk into a B&M in the States and buy Cubans...time will tell.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 12:24 AM 04-09-2012
Tell me how you really feel.
[Reply]
mithrilG60 03:36 AM 04-09-2012
A company that would knowingly ship a product somewhere that it is illegal to buy, sell or even have is automatically shady IMO.
I fail to see how shipping to paying customers makes them shady. All the online shops I'm aware off fully comply with the export laws of their respective countries. These aren't American companies and therefore they are not bound by, or required to follow, American laws. They are just shipping a product that a customer has requested and paid for. If that customer happens to be an American then the legality, or lack thereof, of the transaction is on the customer side and therefore the responsibility of the customer not the vendor.
[Reply]
srduggins 10:38 AM 04-09-2012
Any vendor who would ship to such a "shady" customer is shady by association.:-)
[Reply]
mithrilG60 12:17 PM 04-09-2012
Ok then, so we're saying here is that any non-US vendor who obeys the laws of their own country is shady because they don't don't follow US laws that have absolutely zero bearing or hold on them? Riiiiiiight...... :-) :-)
[Reply]
Stephen 01:29 PM 04-09-2012
Originally Posted by srduggins:
Any vendor who would ship to such a "shady" customer is shady by association.:-)
Would the real shady please stand up?

[Reply]
Pseudosacred 01:38 PM 04-09-2012
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Would the real shady please stand up?

:-)
[Reply]
awsmith4 01:50 PM 04-09-2012
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Ok then, so we're saying here is that any non-US vendor who obeys the laws of their own country is shady because they don't don't follow US laws that have absolutely zero bearing or hold on them? Riiiiiiight...... :-) :-)
I wouldn't try and convince him, less buyers means more stock availability for us :-)
[Reply]
mithrilG60 02:09 PM 04-09-2012
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
I wouldn't try and convince him, less buyers means more stock availability for us :-)
Stock availablilty isn't an issue for me as a Canadian :-) What I find mildly amusing/ignorant is the suggestion that any non-American is somehow doing something wrong by not obeying US laws that have no jurisidication over them in the first place.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:11 PM 04-09-2012
I can count the number of times I was really blown away with an NC in the last year, 2.
I have had some great ones, and some bad ones but only 2 where out of this world.
I am blown away almost weekly with CCs and the rest are still really good. This has been my experience.
I would not want to have missed out on those 2 amazing NCs though as they where sooo incredible.
I think there is a place for both, CCs and NCs in my humi, I just prefer CCs everyday right now.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 11
« First < 789 1011 >
Up