Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Today I found out what they stuck in my back.
shilala 05:34 PM 11-06-2008
They put rods and a strut and screws and grafts.
I took a pic of the actual brand of hardware with my cellfone, but didn't send the pic to myself yet. That's a bit challenging for me.
Below is a pic of the hardware, it's just a different brand, and I only had two vertebrae fused and strutted.
In four weeks I'll be allowed to drive, in three months the Doc said he'll allow me to bungie jump.

edit:
I should have mentioned that he took all the broken pieces out and threw them away, too.
It's all fixed and I'm golden. :-)

[Reply]
Genetic Defect 05:36 PM 11-06-2008
vide the jump :-)
looks like a lot of hardware. amazing how fast recovery is these days :-)
[Reply]
boonedoggle 05:36 PM 11-06-2008
OMGosh. That looks insanely painful!
[Reply]
bobarian 05:40 PM 11-06-2008
Wow. Harrington rods have come a long way. I had mine put in over 20 yrs ago. They are stainless and longer than a pencil!
[Reply]
Dennis569 05:53 PM 11-06-2008
So how are you feeling?
My wife had the same type work done on her back this summer.
She still has quite a bit of pain but is slowly recovering.
Thank God for decent health insurance, the bill totaled over $300,000.
Treat yourself to a good smoke.
[Reply]
Thaplumbr 06:51 PM 11-06-2008
Man Scott, that looks like something you might build!!, but it would have fans and lights, and be all blinged out.......lol
Glad your back is doing better Brother!:-)
[Reply]
Jason 09:35 PM 11-06-2008
Have mercy, do take care you heal up right man, then lookin good to go!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:31 AM 11-07-2008
my dad had something like that in his back too, they installed it when he broke his back.
[Reply]
shilala 06:15 AM 11-07-2008
Originally Posted by Dennis569:
So how are you feeling?
My wife had the same type work done on her back this summer.
She still has quite a bit of pain but is slowly recovering.
Thank God for decent health insurance, the bill totaled over $300,000.
Treat yourself to a good smoke.
I feel great. I have zero symptoms from the broken back, all I have now are aches and pains from the surgery.
I stayed very active through this whole mess, and I was up walking a couple hours after they rolled me out of surgery. This last two weeks has been hell trying to hold still while I heal.
After seeing what's in there yesterday, I'm no longer worried about what I might do to hurt myself, so I'm going to ramp up my exercise and get a lot more active while this thing heals.
I'm going to make a cup of coffee and go for a walk right now so it'll loosen up. :-)
I sure hope your wife comes around soon!!!
[Reply]
fissure 06:25 AM 11-07-2008
Great to hear you are doing good scott:-):-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:39 AM 11-07-2008
Keep those things moving or you will sound like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, Scott!

Sounds like you are on the way to being very happy with your recovery, and I hope you have great success with your new hardware.
[Reply]
Sailchaser 07:01 AM 11-07-2008
Finally some one with more hardware in them than me:-)
Speedy recover Scott can't wait till you get back to your project building
Need anything send me a PM :-)
[Reply]
icurrie 07:45 AM 11-07-2008
All I hear when I see that picture is the them to The Bionic Man!!!
Hope you are feeling better and on the way to recovery.
All the best.
[Reply]
DPD6030 07:47 AM 11-07-2008
Looks like you'll last forever now Scott. Glad to hear that your doing well and getting up and around. I'm with Chris, if you need anything just PM me as well. Take care and enjoy the cup of coffee and walk.
[Reply]
mrreindeer 08:25 AM 11-07-2008
Jeez Scott, that looks awful! But I'm glad you're much better and not in too much pain. :-):-)

So....when you transform, what do you turn into? I picture an Erector Set/Tinker Toy/66 Camaro mix......
[Reply]
shilala 09:26 AM 11-07-2008
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
my dad had something like that in his back too, they installed it when he broke his back.
I'm amazed at how many people have this stuff in them.
Fortunately for me I didn't have this done 20 years ago. From what I understand it'd damn near kill a guy.
[Reply]
Darrell 09:29 AM 11-07-2008
I'm glad they took care of you my friend. Here's to a speedy recovery! :-)
[Reply]
dcamacho 09:35 AM 11-07-2008
wow ... its actually pretty cool in some way. only thing that matters is that your okay, and im glad for the fast recovery! cheers! :-)
[Reply]
kayaker 09:37 AM 11-07-2008
Glad to hear you are doing well Scott.

It's really neat what they can do these days, and I can only imagine what it will be like in another 20 years.
[Reply]
MithShrike 10:21 AM 11-07-2008
Originally Posted by shilala:
I'm amazed at how many people have this stuff in them.
Fortunately for me I didn't have this done 20 years ago. From what I understand it'd damn near kill a guy.
My mom's friend got it about 15 years ago and now her back is so bad she has to walk with a cane. Really nice lady, she ****ed up her back from hauling her wheelchair bound son in and out of his wheel chair/bath/toilet.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up