Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigar Aficionado is absolutely crazy
elderboy02 04:44 AM 02-23-2009
I know they have always been crazy with their reviews (12 year old Madagascar vanilla, etc.), but I was reading their review in the 2009 calendar for the month of July is as follows:

Nub Habano 358
"It's fat and stubby but attractive and draws well. There's an initial cedar blast in the smoke that also shows coffee and a touch of pencil lead flavor"

Now, when was the last time you walked into your local B&M and asked them for a cigar that tastes like pencil lead? :-) How do you even know what pencil lead tastes like unless you ate pencils as a kid? :-)
[Reply]
macpappy 05:03 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I know they have always been crazy with their reviews (12 year old Madagascar vanilla, etc.), but I was reading their review in the 2009 calendar for the month of July is as follows:

Nub Habano 358
"It's fat and stubby but attractive and draws well. There's an initial cedar blast in the smoke that also shows coffee and a touch of pencil lead flavor"

Now, when was the last time you walked into your local B&M and asked them for a cigar that tastes like pencil lead? :-) How do you even know what pencil lead tastes like unless you ate pencils as a kid? :-)
Reminds me of the Fuego 777 I tried to smoke this weekend. The first taste I recognized was pencil lead.
[Reply]
rrplasencia 05:36 AM 02-23-2009
think i'll start a new wtt thread, i have plenty of pencils as trade :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 06:44 AM 02-23-2009
I know the taste of pencil lead, but I can't say I've ever tasted it in a cigar. :-)
[Reply]
dunng 06:48 AM 02-23-2009
:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 07:01 AM 02-23-2009
Some cigars seem to put lead in my pencil!!!:-)
[Reply]
BryanB 07:03 AM 02-23-2009
I always taste pencil lead right after soggy cardboard. :-)
[Reply]
tunes 08:05 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by ucla695:
I know the taste of pencil lead, but I can't say I've ever tasted it in a cigar. :-)
Nor would I want to ...:-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 08:08 AM 02-23-2009
Did they happen to mention whether it was fresh pencil lead or aged pencil lead?

If it was aged pencil lead, I may have to try one someday. Hard not to like fat stubby aged pencil lead smokes.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 08:17 AM 02-23-2009
I've seen pencil lead mentioned in wine reviews too.
[Reply]
borndead1 08:19 AM 02-23-2009
I've tasted pencil lead in many cigars. It's a sign of a dog rocket from my experience.
[Reply]
Footbag 08:23 AM 02-23-2009
I hate to admit it, but pencil lead or pencil shavings are in my cigar vocabulary. I associate it with an unpleasant flat mineral flavor. Hard to explain but when you taste it, you know.

But, you should've known you'd find some crazies at the Asylum.:-) At least were proud of it!:-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:23 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by borndead1:
I've tasted pencil lead in many cigars. It's a sign of a dog rocket from my experience.
Ok... I'll ask. Have you consumed pencil lead before?
[Reply]
Footbag 08:26 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Ok... I'll ask. Have you consumed pencil lead before?
If you sniff a pencil sharpener, you'll know the smell. For that matter, what does barnyard taste like? Or earth?

Most flavors for cigars are more associated with smells then tastes.
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:27 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by Footbag:
If you sniff a pencil sharpener, you'll know the smell. For that matter, what does barnyard taste like? Or earth?

OK. I gotcha.
[Reply]
pnoon 08:27 AM 02-23-2009

Exactly. We actually taste with our nose as well as our mouths.
[Reply]
pmp 08:30 AM 02-23-2009
Pencil lead is a common descriptor for cigars and wine. Tire rubber is another one that always threw me. But I have picked up both in wine before and they taste like you would imagine pencil lead and tire rubber tasting. And no I haven't tried either one but I know the smell of both. So you can somewhat infer what they would taste like.
[Reply]
spooble 08:34 AM 02-23-2009
Did the reviewer mention if it was #2 or #3 pencil? In my experience, one is quite tasty... the other, not so much.

yes... I am joking :-)
[Reply]
rizzle 08:34 AM 02-23-2009

Exactly. I mean how appealling is the smell of a barnyard full of dirty animals, their excrement, and mud. And how appealing is the smell of dirt/earth?

It ain't in my book.
[Reply]
Footbag 08:37 AM 02-23-2009
For me, it's more about finding a word to describe the flavor as opposed to finding a flavor that can be described.

Originally Posted by :
and they taste like you would imagine pencil lead and tire rubber tasting
I have detected tire rubber in a few smokes. I usually like DPG/PJ smokes, but the La Riqueza's have a bit of burnt rubber flavor to my palate. In looking at reviews and descriptions, I notice many describe it as burnt Hickory wood.

I believe that my burn tire rubber = others burnt Hickory. Just goes to show you how important it is to have a wide open vocabulary when describing flavors.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up