Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Aged Opus X, or how I learned to love TanithT
DougBushBC 08:58 PM 07-14-2009
This weekend my girlfriend of 3 years is moving in with me, in honor of that I am going to be smoking some of my bet smokes this week leading up to it. I started tonight with a 1998 Fuente Fuente Opus X Belicoso #1 that was given to me as an addon to a purchase I made from the lovely TanithT.

The long and short of it was that this was the best smoke I have ever had. From start to bottom it was supreme. The smoke was voluminous, flavorful, spicy, sweet, every positive attribute a cigar can have. I have enjoyed many superb smokes in my years smoking, but this was the best I have ever had.

I used to be an anti-Opus guy, feeling they weren't worth their price, but I have slowly converted, and this was the greatest I've ever had a chance to enjoy. Tanith, thank you so much, you are a true SOTL.

Rating: 98/100
[Reply]
kgoings 09:07 PM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by DougBushBC:
This weekend my girlfriend of 3 years is moving in with me, in honor of that I am going to be smoking some of my bet smokes this week leading up to it. I started tonight with a 1998 Fuente Fuente Opus X Belicoso #1 that was given to me as an addon to a purchase I made from the lovely TanithT.

The long and short of it was that this was the best smoke I have ever had. From start to bottom it was supreme. The smoke was voluminous, flavorful, spicy, sweet, every positive attribute a cigar can have. I have enjoyed many superb smokes in my years smoking, but this was the best I have ever had.

I used to be an anti-Opus guy, feeling they weren't worth their price, but I have slowly converted, and this was the greatest I've ever had a chance to enjoy. Tanith, thank you so much, you are a true SOTL.

Rating: 98/100
Nice! I have never had an Opus I liked...but I have also never had one that was even close to that old!

:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 09:11 PM 07-14-2009
Tanith is a generous SOTL...

Ironic thing is... she is not a fan of the Opus. :-)
[Reply]
TanithT 09:13 PM 07-14-2009
Glad you liked it! I don't recall if what I sent was from the original '95 release or a few years later; it was not later than '98 as that was the last time I added anything to that particular stash. If it had a date on the cello then that was the date. Happy it was a good smoke for you. :-)
[Reply]
Scottw 09:13 PM 07-14-2009
Awesome, any pics?
[Reply]
DougBushBC 09:17 PM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by Scottw:
Awesome, any pics?
No, tonite I just wanted to enjoy, and enjoy I did.
[Reply]
DougBushBC 09:18 PM 07-14-2009
Originally Posted by TanithT:
Glad you liked it! I don't recall if what I sent was from the original '95 release or a few years later; it was not later than '98 as that was the last time I added anything to that particular stash. If it had a date on the cello then that was the date. Happy it was a good smoke for you. :-)
there was a date, and it was 98 :-)
[Reply]
md4958 09:19 PM 07-14-2009
This weekend my girlfriend of 3 years is moving in with me, in honor of that I am going to be smoking some of my bet smokes this week leading up to it.
Getting rid of all the good stuff Doug while you can still enjoy it? :-):-):-)

Best wishes with the GF:-)
[Reply]
DougBushBC 05:18 AM 07-15-2009
Ive been at work for a little over 2.5 hours right now, and I can still taste the deliciousness of this cigar from last night. DAMN thats a good smoke!
[Reply]
ucla695 02:51 PM 07-18-2009
Me likes me Opus with some age on them too!! :-)
[Reply]
darkninja67 02:54 PM 07-18-2009
Congrats and I hope the living arrangement goes well for you two.

I am in the camp that an Opus gets better with age. If you can find them near MSRP they are some of the better smokes out there.

Props to Tanith for the aged X.
[Reply]
bigswol2 07:02 PM 07-18-2009
Congrats on the living situation and the great smoke! I too love aged opus!
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 10:55 AM 07-19-2009
Wow... what a bomb TanithT gave you. Give me 9 years and I'll be able to smoke an Opus that old!
[Reply]
Big Cle 11:49 AM 07-19-2009
I cant wait to meet some of the locals.
[Reply]
LkyLindy 12:28 PM 07-20-2009
Tanith is OK in my book (and humi)
[Reply]
Xcytez 02:08 PM 08-11-2009
I Like the Opus now(unaged) but, I just bought a brown box that has the aged Opus in them.... Got a question... how long before they start looking and smelling like those! There is a huge difference in smell of these!! I am trying to restrain myself and let them settle in my humi before i break one out... but wow.... I have a Carlito GOF (2006) also I dont think it has quite the smell of these, I am still new to cigars, and haven't gotten hold of any aged ones yet... Kenny is hooking me up on the Anejo's sell he made, but it makes me wonder how some of the smokes i have been trying will taste in 3-4 years...
[Reply]
DougBushBC 06:49 PM 08-11-2009
Originally Posted by Xcytez:
I Like the Opus now(unaged) but, I just bought a brown box that has the aged Opus in them.... Got a question... how long before they start looking and smelling like those! There is a huge difference in smell of these!! I am trying to restrain myself and let them settle in my humi before i break one out... but wow.... I have a Carlito GOF (2006) also I dont think it has quite the smell of these, I am still new to cigars, and haven't gotten hold of any aged ones yet... Kenny is hooking me up on the Anejo's sell he made, but it makes me wonder how some of the smokes i have been trying will taste in 3-4 years...
Brown box?
[Reply]
Doctorossi 07:53 PM 08-11-2009
Brown box?
It's the nickname for an aged Opus sampler presentation box Fuente released a while back.
[Reply]
Wanger 07:37 AM 08-12-2009
Originally Posted by Xcytez:
GOFs are a reasonably recent addition to the Fuente lineup. You won't find any with the possible amount of age that Opus can have (Opus were originally released in the mid 90s). And being that the GOF is a different blend and wrapper than Opus, it should smell different. Moki has some great information about Fuente stuff here (linky), including a lot of ultra rare and interesting stuff. And as for Anejos, I've had an OR 46 and love fresh 46s (and Sharks). You should see a difference, if you can hold off on them for a couple years. :-)
[Reply]
GoldnGT 08:40 AM 08-12-2009
Originally Posted by Wanger:
And being that the GOF is a different blend and wrapper than Opus, it should smell different.
I was under the impression that the Carlito GoF was the same blend as the FFOX, but with a different wrapper.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up