Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Sports>Lin-sanity!
jonumberone 07:50 AM 02-16-2012
Trying to get a feel of how big this is in other parts of the country.
Here, in the NYC area, this is all anyone wants to talk about.
It's in every paper, on every news cast, and sports talk radio is wall to wall Knicks and Lin!
The Rangers have the best record in the east, and they can't even sniff the back page.
The Giants won the Super Bowl 10 days ago and are merely a footnote.
Even the Mighty Yankees are nowhere in the consciousness of New York.
The only constant is the Mets still stink! :-)

For me, Basketball falls somewhere below Fencing and above Soccer in my favorite sport's list,
but I was tuned in last night and will be for the next game.
If you're a sports fan, this is "must see TV" until it all comes crashing down.

Thoughts?
[Reply]
sevans105 07:56 AM 02-16-2012
Lin is a novelty-don't mean that derogatory, he's just fairly unique....asian-american with great ball handling skills. Also seems to have a really good head on his shoulders. Harvard grad...great team skills. He's Tebow without the praying!
[Reply]
Stephen 07:59 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Thoughts?
Ewing Theory.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 07:59 AM 02-16-2012
I have seen the blurbs on TV, and I really don't care. For me? Basketball falls somewhere below my interest in Kim Kardashians latest pap smear results and the urge to buy sh'art. Don't people have better things to do with their time than get all creamy about some flavor of the week/month sports star?
[Reply]
JenksAnejo 08:03 AM 02-16-2012
Eh, the kid is a solid basketball player but I'm not buying into the hype just yet. The Knicks haven't exactly been playing world beaters during their win streak. The teams they've played have a combined record of 79-128, with only one of those teams having above a .500 record. That team being the Lakers who are 5th-6th in the West at best IMO.

When the Knicks actually start playing some teams in the East (Boston, Miami, Chicago) we will see how they do. Until then I can't buy into the hype..
[Reply]
Stephen 08:07 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by replicant_argent:
I have seen the blurbs on TV, and I really don't care. For me? Basketball falls somewhere below my interest in Kim Kardashians latest pap smear results and the urge to buy sh'art. Don't people have better things to do with their time than get all creamy about some flavor of the week/month sports star?
Yeah, like taking time out of their day to tell anonymous people on message boards how much they don't care about something...:-)
[Reply]
sevans105 08:11 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Yeah, like taking time out of their day to tell anonymous people on message boards how much they don't care about something...:-)
Bazinga!
[Reply]
miamicigarco 08:12 AM 02-16-2012
I think the Knicks should trade Lin or Carmelo at this point to address other needs of the team. Here in Miami people are talking about Lin, and as a former NYer Ive been following the story.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 08:28 AM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by Stephen:
I can multitask, be snarky, and do useful things all at the same time. You should really see me on a roll when I barbeque "unique" 20-somethings. I spent 1 minute on it, some people spend hours thinking about such frippery. Same doofuses that play "fantasy-anything."
I snicker in your general direction, just for pure self-satisfaction. Look upon it as a momentary masturbatory moment. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:42 AM 02-16-2012
I'm enjoying the ride. But it has only been 7 games. Let's see what happens the rest of the season.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 10:01 AM 02-16-2012
I am all Lin!! :-)

Love it. I think he is great for basketball.
[Reply]
Stephen 11:14 AM 02-16-2012
I can multitask, be snarky, and do useful things all at the same time. You should really see me on a roll when I barbeque "unique" 20-somethings. I spent 1 minute on it, some people spend hours thinking about such frippery. Same doofuses that play "fantasy-anything."
I snicker in your general direction, just for pure self-satisfaction. Look upon it as a momentary masturbatory moment. :-)
[Reply]
J0eybb 11:50 AM 02-16-2012
I just turned on ESPN: SC, and they give him a good 10 minutes of air time.

It's all I heard about when I was in Iowa.
[Reply]
timj219 11:54 AM 02-16-2012
Years of bad basketball have left me suspicious of anything that looks like it might finally lift this team above mediocrity. I'm enjoying it but not projecting a few good games to mean anything but a few good games. As long as the Dolans own this team, it's just about guaranteed that this will fall apart somehow. If Lin is the real deal they'll move him or play him into exhaustion and injury. If he's a flash in the pan, they'll sign him to a huge contract. :-)
I'd love to hear something about Baron Davis' health and possible return. Even if Lin can continue to look good, shumpert is right now our de facto backup PG and much as I like the kid, it's a bad idea to have a rookie 2 as your backup point.
[Reply]
shilala 12:03 PM 02-16-2012
I switched to Rotowire Fantasy Sports so I could stop listening to Jeremy Lin. I'm listening to Jeremy Lin right now, it's imterrupting my fantasy baseball mock draft talk and it's pissing me off. Hopefully Pete will straighten this out. :-)

Scotty's Tebow comment about praying...
Lin is very vocal about his faith and talks constantly about becoming a minister when he's done with ball. You can also find out when he takes a dump via ESPN radio. They said it's on Twitter. And Carmelo Anthony is about ready to snap. Nobody loves him anymore.
Up till yesterday I was only remotely aware basketball was a sport. I thought they were just kidding. And I played for years. :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 12:41 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
I switched to Rotowire Fantasy Sports so I could stop listening to Jeremy Lin. I'm listening to Jeremy Lin right now, it's imterrupting my fantasy baseball mock draft talk and it's pissing me off. Hopefully Pete will straighten this out. :-)

Scotty's Tebow comment about praying...
Lin is very vocal about his faith and talks constantly about becoming a minister when he's done with ball. You can also find out when he takes a dump via ESPN radio. They said it's on Twitter. And Carmelo Anthony is about ready to snap. Nobody loves him anymore.
Up till yesterday I was only remotely aware basketball was a sport. I thought they were just kidding. And I played for years. :-)
Sacred Crickets, man, don't you have something to do!? :-) Might I suggest counting the Wookie hairs on a Kardashian?
[Reply]
timj219 04:12 PM 02-16-2012
Well I guess it's official. LinSanity is everywhere. Jeremy Lin was the subject of today's "Talk of the Nation" on NPR
[Reply]
neoflex 04:14 PM 02-16-2012
:-) Than again I am also the same guy that would rather watch Supercross over Football so I know I am a bit from the norm as far as sports fans are concerned.
[Reply]
mase 04:21 PM 02-16-2012
I think it's great. There's an excitement in the air in MSG again. I realize it might be short lived but I think I'm going to enjoy the ride as long as it lasts.
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:20 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by mase:
I think it's great. There's an excitement in the air in MSG again.
I wonder if that point is lost on people not in the Tri-state area?
The Knicks haven't been relevant in years, and as the Knicks go, so goes "The Garden"

Lin may very well be a flash in the pan, but he has brought the entire franchise back to life.
He gave the coach back the team, and is allowing D'antoni to run his system.
He has his teammates believing in him and themselves, and he has them fighting for a change.

I also think "the hype is because he's Asian" is silly!
No one here cares about his ethnicity, and New York has had it's fair share of Asian stars come through.
They never received any additional hype due to their race, and neither is Lin!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up