Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Entertainment>Cutting the Cable/Satellite Cord
Resipsa 08:06 PM 11-11-2010
Anyone besides me thinking about, or has done this?

With the ps3 having decent Netflix and Hulu Plus and Playon apps now, and over the air network tv, along with other ITV, I'm getting very close. Netflix streaming covers my movie fix, and between Hulu, Netflix, Playon and over the air network access I'm pretty much covered.

If I didn't need my NFL Sunday ticket, I think I'd cut the cord

I mean $20 bucks a month for netflix and hulu, the rest is free, as opposed to a close to $100 a month DTV bill, most of which is for channels and crap I never watch?

Who's with me?
[Reply]
acarr 08:21 PM 11-11-2010
I tried to cut my Direct Tv and they gave me 4 free months. So come February it is gone:-)
[Reply]
Superbad 08:25 PM 11-11-2010
I am really wanting to do this, but my kids would rebel!
[Reply]
G G 08:26 PM 11-11-2010
I have till February with Direc and then I am either switching back to Dish Network or quitting it all myself.
[Reply]
shilala 08:46 PM 11-11-2010
If it weren't for sports, I'd have no need for tv at all. I'm real close myself.
[Reply]
larryinlc 08:56 PM 11-11-2010
Not me. I pay good money to Dishnet for my 200 channels of crap. They finally threw in HD for life, so now I get to watch crap in HD. Life is good.:-)

Larry
[Reply]
LostAbbott 09:22 PM 11-11-2010
I only have cable internet, and that is a write off for the business. Never had cable since I left University. Even the basic cable channels not have perfect streaming on their sites...
[Reply]
mmblz 04:01 AM 11-12-2010
yup, we do not have either..
hd antenna gets us NBC and a bunch of PBS stations ... and ALMOST CBS
then there's netflix, hulu, occasional purchase from amazon online tv thing...
[Reply]
Coach Deg 04:14 AM 11-12-2010
I can't live without Espn, MLB, and NFL networks!
[Reply]
Bunker 05:48 AM 11-12-2010
I have been contemplating it for awhile, the kids seem to watch nothing but netflix. The meager list of channels we do get from Comcast are pretty useless.
[Reply]
Resipsa 07:03 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Coach Deg:
Weeellllllllll......The ps3 has the
MLB ticket, Hulu has the NFL network, Playon on the ps3'has espn..... Just sayin':-)
[Reply]
D_A 07:05 AM 11-12-2010
I canceled Direct a few months ago and haven't missed it a bit. I got netflix and bought an antenna which gives us 3 PBS stations, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, and a 2 or 3 others.
[Reply]
Volt 07:06 AM 11-12-2010
Going with the concept, I have Cox cable. I can't see cutting the cord. It provides my internet and basic cable. Not sure I could get my standards like the history, TLC, TBS, etc type channels. I also like surfing the channels, you never know when something catches your interest.

I know I have not watched the big 3 in over 7 years with the exception of NFL football games. In the rare possibility they have any programming that I might like, TBS or TNT will buy it from them. So it's a year old... still gonna be new and fresh to me and I'm not the water cooler type chatter, so being up on what's on the tube has little bearing to me.
[Reply]
wayner123 07:09 AM 11-12-2010
I did this a year ago and I couldn't be happier. My digital antenna brings in all the local stations and the networks , CBS, NBC, ABC. The netflix is adding a ton of new movies everyday to instant watch. They have all the kids programming you could want, not to mention that netflix has the starz and signed a new deal with a group to bring movies to netflix before they hit TV.

I use a gaming computer as my media center, and really the only thing I miss out on is ESPN (brighthouse has a stupid non agreement with them), but channelsurfing.net or firstrow.net takes care of any sports I need.

Saving $60 + a month might not sound like much, but to me it's been great.
[Reply]
wayner123 07:11 AM 11-12-2010
Originally Posted by Volt:
Going with the concept, I have Cox cable. I can't see cutting the cord. It provides my internet and basic cable. Not sure I could get my standards like the history, TLC, TBS, etc type channels. I also like surfing the channels, you never know when something catches your interest.

I know I have not watched the big 3 in over 7 years with the exception of NFL football games. In the rare possibility they have any programming that I might like, TBS or TNT will buy it from them. So it's a year old... still gonna be new and fresh to me and I'm not the water cooler type chatter, so being up on what's on the tube has little bearing to me.

All of these channels are either on hulu or you can go to the stations website to stream any show. And that way you can also watch any show you may have missed as most keep the whole season.
[Reply]
hscmit 07:24 AM 11-12-2010
been considering this for a few months now.

what is playon?
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 12:23 PM 11-12-2010
I have thought about it, but then I would miss out on my sports
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:36 PM 11-12-2010
I watch most of my "tv" on the internet becuase almost every major channel and all popular shows and movies gets streamed. Alot of them in HD.

You just have to know where to look. :-)

BeerAdvocate, there are many more sports options than cable/dish on the web. I several laptops and a pc. On Sunday's I will have 4 different games going at times. You can watch virtually any game of any sport that is being televised. Sorry Sunday Ticket holders, you are getting hosed.

Originally Posted by Coach Deg:
All are streamed in HD. :-)
[Reply]
J0eybb 12:39 PM 11-12-2010
I quit cable a year ago. I need a set of rabbit ears, because right now I get 0 channels. I do however have my pc hooked up via hdmi.
[Reply]
cricky101 01:16 PM 11-12-2010
I'm in the process. I bought a Roku box to stream netflix and hulu plus (got the Netflix running, and it's pretty awesome) in my living room to my LCD tv

Now I need a decent antenna and I'll be ready to cancel the cable TV service.

I do have older TVs in my bedroom and spare room where I work out, and I guess I'll need to get converter boxes along with antennas for those to be able to pull in any channels :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 23 > Last »
Up