Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Ralph Branca Dead At 90
The Poet 10:43 PM 11-23-2016
Pitcher Ralph Branca, the man who gave up perhaps the most famous home run in MLB history to Bobby Thompson on Oct. 3 1951, the so-called "Shot Heard 'Round The World", has died at the age of 90. The homer was not merely notable in itself, but was especially so as it capped an historic late-season comeback by the NY Giants to take the NL pennant away from the Brooklyn Dodgers, making up a 13 1/2 game deficit in the final month. You need to be even older than I to remember this, but you might remember an outstanding episode of the TV show M.A.S.H. based around this. And speaking of TV, that final game of the three-game playoff was the first baseball game to be televised nationally.

Rest in peace, Ralph. Your name and fame will live as long as does the nation's pastime.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:17 PM 11-23-2016
Grew up right next to Vero Beach so there are a lot of these old pictures floating around.

Brooklyn Dodgers Fred Kipp, right, and Don Drysdale, center, watch Ralph Branca toss warm-up pitches prior to spring training in Vero Beach. Branca, who gave up baseball's most enduring home run to Bobby Thomson in 1951, died today at 90.

Rest in Peace, Ralph

[Reply]
icehog3 12:07 AM 11-24-2016
Heard this on sports radio earlier today. I knew the name, but it was interesting to hear more of the back story.

R.I.P., Mr. Branca.
[Reply]
hotreds 06:12 AM 11-24-2016
Surprised, yet delighted to see Branca made the cut, so to speak. I doubt more than 5% of those here even heard of him. Apparently a class act, somebody more modern day players should emulate!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...rancra01.shtml

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2884710

Rest in Peace, Mr. Branca!
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:53 AM 11-24-2016
May He Rest In Peace.
[Reply]
Dave128 10:45 AM 11-28-2016
Like Tom said, very interesting to hear more of the story.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Branca.
[Reply]
Up