Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>What's more important?
MagicDrop 09:26 PM 08-08-2015
When seasoning a humidor is it more important that your bowl of distiller water sits for 14 days or that your newly calibrated hygrometer says 65-75 for a day or two?
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:44 PM 08-08-2015
The reason you are seasoning your humidor is to saturate the wood -- this causes the wood to swell a bit and tightens up all the joints. It well-seasoned humidor will keep your cigars better and longer.

At the end of the seasoning process your empty humidor should sustain a steady RH for at least 24 hours; preferably 48 hours. So after you remove the moisture source (water bowl in your case). Check the RH and then check it again in 24 hours and then check it again in 48 hours. If it stays steady then you are done.

If the RH drops then you either need to season longer, or you have a leak (lid, glass-to-wood, or around any embedded hygrometer).

BTW, a damp sponge works much better than a bowl of water -- much more surface area on the sponge.

Good luck!
[Reply]
MagicDrop 12:53 PM 08-09-2015
So I replaced the bowl with a sponge on a plate. I soaked the sponge in the bowl then squeezed out most of the water so it was just damp to the touch. Is that enough water to work?
I'm sorry I am still very new to this and while I have a small humidor that now works fine I blew it bad last time when I seasoned and then took it to the cigar shop by my house where they wiped it down and told me to boil water and place a cup in the humidor which then later shocked my cigars and caused many to crack do not want that to happen again!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 01:56 PM 08-09-2015
Boiling water is good for tea and having babies, you only want to use Distilled Water, not boiled or purified or from the Red Sea.

Also, and peoples opinions seem to vary on this, some very wise people told me you shouldn't wipe down the interior because it can cause the wood to warp, sponge with distilled water on a plate of some kind and check the sponge after 24 hours to see if you need to dampen it again.

Really though, hit up the store and get a gallon of distilled water and keep it on the side somewhere for use with your humidors.

Best of luck :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 02:58 PM 08-09-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
Also, and peoples opinions seem to vary on this, some very wise people told me you shouldn't wipe down the interior because it can cause the wood to warp, sponge with distilled water on a plate of some kind and check the sponge after 24 hours to see if you need to dampen it again.
Would agree with this. Seasoning a humidor just takes a little time and should not be rushed. They also work a lot better when full of cigars.
[Reply]
markem 03:23 PM 08-09-2015
There is a sticky here on seasoning your humidor. Find it. Read it. Repeat as necessary.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 04:02 PM 08-09-2015
Yeah what I am using now is distiller water, since changing to the damp sponge the humidity has risen from 68 to 73 and has sat there a few hours. So now the waiting begins!
The wipe down is what the store did for my older one and then told me to use a cup of boiled water (so the steam gets into the wood) but it ruined my cigar collection.
I have been seasoning for 2 days and I didn't think the reading would be so high so fast.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:38 PM 08-09-2015
It is time to take the advice you have been given in multiple threads and put some of it to use. After a week or two, report back and let us know how things are progressing. More information and advice at this juncture would only muddy the waters and introduce too many new variables.

:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:28 PM 08-09-2015
Originally Posted by MagicDrop:
I have been seasoning for 2 days and I didn't think the reading would be so high so fast.
Stop screwing around the humidor and just use it as its intended. Fill your hydrometer with distilled water and put your cigars in... It'll all equal out in short time.

Forcing the wood to become humid is not what you want to do.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 05:03 AM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Stop screwing around the humidor and just use it as its intended. Fill your hydrometer with distilled water and put your cigars in... It'll all equal out in short time.

Forcing the wood to become humid is not what you want to do.
That goes against all the advice I have gotten here. It's also what I did with my 1st humidor and that went terribly wrong. The reason I can check the hygrometer is because it's a glass display humidor so it's not like I am opening it every few hours to check.
[Reply]
markem 08:22 AM 08-10-2015
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

Also note that once you put your cigars in to the humidor they will start to take on humidity. If you can, wait for a week or so after the humidor is seasoned and the cigars are in to help ensure that they have less of a "dry" side and "wet" side. This results in an uneven burn. Some periodically turn the cigars to help with the burn issue and some do not; purely a matter of preference.

And the best advice is this: leave it closed. Constantly checking the inside is self-defeating. You have to have some discipline no matter how good it all smells.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:40 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by markem:
And the best advice is this: leave it closed. Constantly checking the inside is self-defeating. You have to have some discipline no matter how good it all smells.
yup :-)
[Reply]
MagicDrop 09:29 PM 08-10-2015
Yeah that's the main reason I went with a glass humidor! Despite the issues with glass I have had luck with caulk and sealing them so once I know it's all tight I don't have to open it unless I want a smoke!
[Reply]
MagicDrop 09:30 PM 08-10-2015
When seasoning a humidor is it more important that your bowl of distiller water sits for 14 days or that your newly calibrated hygrometer says 65-75 for a day or two?
Mine now says 78 after only 3 days do I still let the humidor season?

😁
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:08 PM 08-10-2015
CLICK ME!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
longknocker 03:29 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
CLICK ME!!!!!!!!
:-) MagicDrop: Follow Adam's Advice, Please!:-)
[Reply]
MagicDrop 05:28 PM 08-11-2015
Well I still haven't opened the humidor so I guess we are doing ok
[Reply]
MagicDrop 05:29 PM 08-11-2015
There is a lot of conflicting info. Some say when it reached between 65-75 one guy said throw in beads and cigars. Others say no less then 14 days
[Reply]
markem 05:33 PM 08-11-2015
There is a lot of conflicting info. Some say when it reached between 65-75 one guy said throw in beads and cigars. Others say no less then 14 days
Oh well, you are just going to have to make up your mind and go for it. Poor you.

Honestly, I don't think that you are going to get much in the way of more replies as the opinions have been laid out (there are more than one, imagine that!) and pointers to additional information provided. At this point, trying to jump in with new arguments, unfortunately, is a lot like trying to teach a pig to sing.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 05:54 PM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by markem:
At this point, trying to jump in with new arguments, unfortunately, is a lot like trying to teach a pig to sing.
I would say, depending on the pig, that might be easier.

https://youtu.be/obrZpPfODTA
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up