Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Calibration of hygrometer
MagicDrop 09:05 AM 01-03-2015
I did a salt test on my hygrometer and found I was getting a low reading. When completed it read 68% so I used a small screw driver and set it to 75% like the instructions told me to.
I have put the hygrometer back in my humidor and it hasn't lowered at all.
The hygrometer is analog, I am using the liquid beads to humidify my small 40 stick humidor and I have about 35 sticks in it right now.
How long does it take for the hygrometer to get the correct reading inside the humidor?
[Reply]
markem 10:04 AM 01-03-2015
Good morning! Did you read the sticky about calibrating a hygrometer in the forum in which you posted? It is easy to miss these things. Here is a link:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=619
[Reply]
MagicDrop 10:12 AM 01-03-2015
I did but what my real question is, is how long does it take once put back in humidor before it gives a true reading of the inside of the humidor?
I didn't notice it mentioning that.
[Reply]
markem 10:18 AM 01-03-2015
Ah, should be a short time, perhaps an hour or less. If it seems high, wait a long while. I typically don't believe mine until 24 hours, just to be safe.

Sorry about my reading comprehension problem.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 10:20 AM 01-03-2015
Lol it's ok my original post was all over the place. I've had it back in the humidor for about 2-3 hours now and it's pinned at 75% which I doubt is true but we shall see.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:17 AM 01-03-2015
Analog hygrometers are notoriously unreliable -- they are decorative more than anything else. Just my :-)
[Reply]
MagicDrop 08:50 PM 01-03-2015
Yeah I have to save up for a digital but I had to pick cigars or hygrometer I picked cigars lol.
I pulled it out to see if it changes outside the box. I guess it's 75% inside right now because it went down immediately!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 09:08 PM 01-03-2015
How are your cigars smoking? Are they tight to draw? Do they require constant relights? If so, then they may be slightly over humidified, which would indicate your hygrometer is reading right. If they're smoking fine, then I wouldn't worry about it until you get the new hygrometer.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 01:40 AM 01-04-2015
They are a bit tight. I left the humidor open for about an hour and have since closed it up when open it dropped to 65ish and is now back around 70 I'm hoping it doesn't keep going up. If it does what's the best way to lower it?
[Reply]
dijit 05:58 AM 01-04-2015
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Analog hygrometers are notoriously unreliable -- they are decorative more than anything else. Just my :-)
My humidor has 3 hygrometers one analog and 2 digital. I have salt tested all three and they read 75% but my analog inside my humidor fluctuates from 63 to 68 the digitals read 66 and 65 almost constantly and I humidify with beads and use a small fan to circulate the air. Unless you are really set on 70% I would suggest lowering your RH to 65 to 67 and getting a digital hygrometer.
[Reply]
dijit 06:00 AM 01-04-2015
depending on your beads you can place them in the fridge for a short time to lower the RH but make sure to read the directions on them first to ensure you wont damage them by doing this.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:32 AM 01-04-2015
Originally Posted by MagicDrop:
They are a bit tight. I left the humidor open for about an hour and have since closed it up when open it dropped to 65ish and is now back around 70 I'm hoping it doesn't keep going up. If it does what's the best way to lower it?
My guess is it went back up. Leaving the lid open for that short of time wouldn't affect the moisture content that much of the cigars and humidor. Initially you'll see the drop, but it'll go back up once you close the lid.

The water beads you have, are they the gel like beads that absorb water and swell up, and bought in a craft store? If so, try using less of them in your humidor.
[Reply]
shilala 08:14 AM 01-04-2015
There's a really good article on salt testing in last month's newsletter.
If you haven't signed up for it yet, just pm me your address and I'll get it out to ya asap.
[Reply]
longknocker 09:07 AM 01-04-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
There's a really good article on salt testing in last month's newsletter.
If you haven't signed up for it yet, just pm me your address and I'll get it out to ya asap.
Yeah, Scott, The Newsletter Would Be A Big Help To Him!:-)
[Reply]
MagicDrop 04:42 PM 01-04-2015
The beads I have a Brigham crystal jar I got from a cigar lounge by me. They claim to release mousture when it is below 70% and absorb when it's above.

Yeah sorry guys I have only been smoking Cigars since April and didn't buy more then what I was going to smoke in the next few hours till October so I'm still really new at this.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 04:47 PM 01-04-2015
No worries. I'm not familiar with those beads. I would spend the money, round $20, and get a digital hygrometer. Then you'll have a better idea what your humidor is doing.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 05:19 PM 01-04-2015
My friends father who owns the lounge said they were good beads. I was getting a bad reading for a while saying 63/64 so I put one of those cheap foam ones in as well and I think that's what caused it to shoot way up. Now that I tested it and reset it I think it will be a while before I get it to drop.
[Reply]
pnoon 05:36 PM 01-04-2015
I think your friends father is full of baloney.
Toss those and get yourself some beads designed to regulate humidity.
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/ or http://www.cigarbeads.com

:-)
[Reply]
MagicDrop 09:02 PM 01-04-2015
That's what that jar is for. https://smokingpipes.com/accessories...oduct_id=83162 just a different manufacturer.
[Reply]
pnoon 09:47 PM 01-04-2015
Originally Posted by MagicDrop:
That's what that jar is for. https://smokingpipes.com/accessories...oduct_id=83162 just a different manufacturer.
That's a totally different product.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up