Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>cutters or punch?
bimmerguy82 05:57 AM 10-01-2014
Do you BOTL prefer a cutter or a punch and why?
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 06:31 AM 10-01-2014
I use both just depends on the cigar and the draw
[Reply]
Dude Here 07:14 AM 10-01-2014
Cutter. Haven't done a punch in a long, long time.
[Reply]
Remo 07:40 AM 10-01-2014
Both
[Reply]
mk05 07:59 AM 10-01-2014
Punch cuts are nice for certain factories where the rollers are taught to push the end of the capote into the cigar. A lot of people mistake this for a plugged cigar. Manufacturers make various radius of the punch cuts for different ring gauges. Large cigars such as Double Coronas or Julieta #2's taste much more lush and round when cut with a bigger cut.
[Reply]
The Poet 08:50 AM 10-01-2014
If I had a decent V-cutter, I'd probably use that exclusively. Just sayin'.
[Reply]
ColdCuts 09:33 AM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by The Poet:
If I had a decent V-cutter, I'd probably use that exclusively. Just sayin'.
Get the Xikar VX. I love this cutter. Cat's-eye is my new fave cut.

As for the OP's question, I use both in addition to the cat's-eye cut. Just depends on what the cigar calls for. Small ring-gauge cigars I use the guillotine, medium I use the punch, and large I use the V-cut. It's how it makes sense to me. YMMV.
[Reply]
markem 09:51 AM 10-01-2014
I use a cutter but used to use a punch. Don't prefer one over the other for the initial cut/punch, but the cutter has been more kind to me if I need to trim of the end because of tar-ing.

The owner of Palio is a member here, but regardless, many (me included) find theirs to be the best. Both Palio and Xicar come with a lifetime warranty, so you never need buy another cutter if you go with them. (psst. go with Palio)
[Reply]
weems 09:58 AM 10-01-2014
V-Cut
[Reply]
ColdCuts 10:01 AM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by markem:
The owner of Palio is a member here, but regardless, many (me included) find theirs to be the best. Both Palio and Xicar come with a lifetime warranty, so you never need buy another cutter if you go with them. (psst. go with Palio)
+1

My guillotine is a Palio. I've had it for about eight years. Somehow, still clips like a champ. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:01 AM 10-01-2014
I'm about 80% Palio cutter and 20% punch. I punch cigars 46 RG or larger if they feel like they may have a looser draw.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:04 AM 10-01-2014
Depends on the stick to be honest, some of the smaller sticks like a Robusto size I prefer the punch, larger Churchill length or obviously torpedoes I leave it to the trusty Palio.

It's what every you enjoy in the end.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 10:04 AM 10-01-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba:
I use both just depends on the cigar and the draw
This one. Mood and cigar make a big difference to me. I have a Xikar V cutter too and love it. I tend to V most box pressed sticks. Punch or Guillotine most regular shapes, but not always.
[Reply]
badbriar 11:10 AM 10-01-2014
Prefer a punch whenever possible. Never had a cap issue with a punch. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 11:14 AM 10-01-2014
I have zero preference, really. I use my teeth if I can't find a cutter.
I keep Xikars in my travel humidors, so that's what I use most.
I do like those lighters with a punch built in. They're nice to have around in a pinch.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:40 AM 10-01-2014
Typically, I cut. (Palio fan) Larger surface area usually means more air flow. That air/smoke ratio is very important for flavor. I do, however, carry a punch on my key ring at all times but may use it just a few times a year.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 12:40 PM 10-01-2014
Cutter, vcut, punch in that order.

99% of the time I use a regular xikar cutter (sorry Palio!). I worked this out several years ago as I learned my preference for a more open draw. I have a lot more control over the draw with a cutter.

I start with clipping the very tip off and if it's too tight, I trim it off more. I've cut so many cigars it's virtually autonomous at this point.
[Reply]
czerbe 01:08 PM 10-01-2014
I'm a cutter.... wait that sounded bad...
[Reply]
Flynnster 01:09 PM 10-01-2014
Been rocking the punch a lot lately, not sure why. I actually reach for it more on the larger ring gauge cigars since I feel like I have more control over the draw.
[Reply]
ky70 02:29 PM 10-03-2014
I basically used cutters exclusively for years and just recently randomly started using cigar punches (attached to my lighters) and my xikar scissors (had em 8/9 years but rarely used them) and now I only seem to punch or use scissors.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up