Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Calibration of hygrometer
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 09:51 PM 01-04-2015
Originally Posted by MagicDrop:
That's what that jar is for. https://smokingpipes.com/accessories...oduct_id=83162 just a different manufacturer.
B&M's love these kinds of beads for some reason. In my experience they do not work well. I have found that these always over-humidify. I ditched these and got the HCM beads and have had zero humidor issues since.

For a humidor that size you could also drop a couple boveda packs in there and I think that would be a better option than those beads.
[Reply]
sweater914 11:07 PM 01-04-2015
MagicDrop,

Lots of useful information on this site, read through the stickies. I built my coolidor using the info on this site and was generously rewarded. I bought HCM beads with hygrometer while on sale and built my first coolidor for about $150, money well spent. I don't know what your budget might be, but if you save a little, become informed you can have a reasonable humidor with solid humidity control to enjoy your new hobby.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 05:42 AM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX:
B&M's love these kinds of beads for some reason. In my experience they do not work well. I have found that these always over-humidify. I ditched these and got the HCM beads and have had zero humidor issues since.
:-)
That was my experience also except I went with Heartfelt beads.

Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX:
For a humidor that size you could also drop a couple boveda packs in there and I think that would be a better option than those beads.
Also good advice. If you go this route, get extra Boveda packs and just rotate them out, re-charging the used ones with distilled water.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 01:31 PM 01-05-2015
Thank you all.
[Reply]
MagicDrop 01:52 PM 01-05-2015
I have a small humidor and small budget to match it lol. But I think I can get the 2oz HMC beads and that would work for me. I did notice it says it's preset at 65% but I think I would want to raise it to 70%.
[Reply]
Steve 02:25 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by shilala:
There's a really good article on salt testing in last month's newsletter.
If you haven't signed up for it yet, just pm me your address and I'll get it out to ya asap.
THIS! :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 03:23 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by MagicDrop:
I have a small humidor and small budget to match it lol. But I think I can get the 2oz HMC beads and that would work for me. I did notice it says it's preset at 65% but I think I would want to raise it to 70%.
And why would that be? I've heard some say 70 degrees/70 %RH is ideal. I think that's hokum. :-)

I suggest using them at the pre-set 65% RH and see how your cigars smoke. If you then find you prefer them at a higher RH, you can adjust them then.
[Reply]
Sadden 10:53 AM 01-07-2015
Yep. HCM beads. Also be sure to check your humidor for leaks. Out of curiosity whats your ambient RH? If its high it can raise the RH of a leaky humidor well past what the gel would do on its own. Its something you will want to sort out before you good beads get there.

I live in a very dry climate. I tried 65 and found it too dry. 68 is just right for me. 70 makes too many issues..
[Reply]
ApexAZ 11:06 AM 01-07-2015
I started using heartfelt beads a few years back and never looked back. They work great.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up