Humidification, hygrometer, and a little bit of cedar helps
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:34 PM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by TJarv:
Humidification, hygrometer, and a little bit of cedar helps
And a very big cooler.
[Reply]
Gabe215 06:39 PM 04-19-2013
Cigars to fill it up!! They also help regulate humidity along with cedar!
[Reply]
Dscott 07:09 PM 04-19-2013
thank you all
[Reply]
SvilleKid 08:06 PM 04-19-2013
A sunny day to leave it open (empty) to air out and lose any "plastic" smell. Cheap and effective.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:17 PM 04-19-2013
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
A sunny day to leave it open (empty) to air out and lose any "plastic" smell. Cheap and effective.
+1

and you can wash it out with a baking soda / water mix... that'll help too.
[Reply]
Lockspur 08:44 PM 04-19-2013
Step 1: obtain cooler. 152quart Igloo can be had at Academy for $85

Step 2: Wipe down interior with rubbing alcohol, followed by a clean paper towel with distilled water.

Step 3: Let air dry 24 hours. Sunlight optional.

Step 4: Fill with cedar boxes (obtained from your local B&M or us). This will help with the plastic odor and help to aromatically season the box (worked for mine).

Step 5: Obtain humification beads. I'm a fan of Shilala Beads. Plus it's fun to say 5 times fast. ALWAYS buy more than the specs call for. If the calculations say buy 1 pound, buy 1.5.

Step 6: Obtain hygrometer. Calibrate it using these here instructions.

Step 7: Remove all boxes from cooler, place beads (65% recommended) and hygrometer in cooler.

Step 8: Close door.

Step 9: Leave door closed for a week. MINIMUM!

Step 10: After one week, open door to check hygrometer. You should be close to 65% if not right on it.

Step 11: Fill box with smokes...preferably in cedar boxes. Mainly because it smells amazing.

Step 12: Don't freak out if the hygrometer drops for a week. It will bounce back in time. If after a month, you find your readings are consistently low, follow the instructions sent with your beads to increase humidity.

Step 13: ???

Step 14: Profit!!
[Reply]
ky70 05:55 AM 04-20-2013
The above post has some great details and can be useful as a guide.

A couple things I did/do differently on the most recent cooler I setup was use kitty litter to stabilize humidity. I had my cooler running, filled with cigars and holding humidity at 65-67 in less than 48 hours. It has maintained that humidity for 2 months...maintenance free.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:23 AM 04-20-2013
Originally Posted by Lockspur:
Step 1: obtain cooler. 152quart Igloo can be had at Academy for $85

Step 2: Wipe down interior with rubbing alcohol, followed by a clean paper towel with distilled water.

Step 3: Let air dry 24 hours. Sunlight optional.

Step 4: Fill with cedar boxes (obtained from your local B&M or us). This will help with the plastic odor and help to aromatically season the box (worked for mine).

Step 5: Obtain humification beads. I'm a fan of Shilala Beads. Plus it's fun to say 5 times fast. ALWAYS buy more than the specs call for. If the calculations say buy 1 pound, buy 1.5.

Step 6: Obtain hygrometer. Calibrate it using these here instructions.

Step 7: Remove all boxes from cooler, place beads (65% recommended) and hygrometer in cooler.

Step 8: Close door.

Step 9: Leave door closed for a week. MINIMUM!

Step 10: After one week, open door to check hygrometer. You should be close to 65% if not right on it.

Step 11: Fill box with smokes...preferably in cedar boxes. Mainly because it smells amazing.

Step 12: Don't freak out if the hygrometer drops for a week. It will bounce back in time. If after a month, you find your readings are consistently low, follow the instructions sent with your beads to increase humidity.

Step 13: ???

Step 14: Profit!!
This is a great list - thanks for sharing!
[Reply]
Dscott 08:16 PM 04-20-2013
Thanks for all the help
[Reply]
Sweet_Leaf_PDX 11:07 PM 05-10-2013
Some very helpful info in this thread! I'm planning a Coolidore too, because there are boxes of cigars in my future :-)
[Reply]
Up