Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidor Divider Foam/Rubber
bluesy 07:18 PM 04-01-2013
I recently bought a new humidor from the devil's site that I just received this evening. Unfortunately, the little foam rubber bits that stick to the ends of the dividers (both the big ones for the bottom and the small one for the top tray) seemed to have gotten knocked off in shipping and stuck together.

I tried putting them back in place, but I'm not sure they will stick and the ones for the small divider stuck to each other so that I couldn't get them apart. I've e-mailed the devil's site support to see if they can get me some replacements, but if they can't or its not worth the hassle does anyone have any suggestions on what I can use in place of it? I was only able to find one old thread on this topic when I searched so I'm hoping there's some additional advice now.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 07:54 PM 04-01-2013
There are any number of self-stick foam tapes out there, in a variety of thickness. Think "door insulation strips" at home improvement stores.
[Reply]
equetefue 07:55 AM 04-02-2013
3m makes the strips and they are sold at Walmart and Home improvement centers.
[Reply]
bluesy 09:49 AM 04-02-2013
Thanks!

Also, another question related to the humi if anyone has experience with this. I noticed one of the hinges squeaks a bit when opening/closing. Since the hinges are outside the internal space of the humidor, I'm thinking it should be fine to use a bit of oil on them. Thoughts? I'm thinking something like dry (bicycle) chain lube or 3 in 1 oil...
[Reply]
scottdurand 11:52 AM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by bluesy:
Thanks!

Also, another question related to the humi if anyone has experience with this. I noticed one of the hinges squeaks a bit when opening/closing. Since the hinges are outside the internal space of the humidor, I'm thinking it should be fine to use a bit of oil on them. Thoughts? I'm thinking something like dry (bicycle) chain lube or 3 in 1 oil...
Unscented KY :-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Lockspur 11:58 AM 04-02-2013
If you have any motor oil handy, a drop of that should do the trick. I find chain lube to be a bit tacky.
[Reply]
gnbikes 01:03 PM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by bluesy:
Thanks!

most chain lubes have a heavy scent to them. I would use a drop of vegatable oil.
Garry-
[Reply]
Sadden 08:26 PM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by gnbikes:
most chain lubes have a heavy scent to them. I would use a drop of vegatable oil.
Garry-
Best advice here
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 12:56 PM 04-08-2013
Originally Posted by gnbikes:
Garry-
+1

Also most places (Target, Walmart, Office supply stores) sell "self-adhesive felt" in little packages either in the furniture area or office supplies, exactly what you want for the ends of dividers in your humidor.
[Reply]
bluesy 06:40 PM 04-13-2013
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Just an update, support for the devil's site is awesome and sent me new adhesive strips for the dividers. If I'm being picky, the dividers are a little off size wise - for example, the top tray divider needs two strips on one side, and the bottom ones barely fit with a single strip, but the humi seems to have a nice seal and once the dividers are in place, I doubt I'll be moving them much.

I've held off on doing anything to lube the hinge since I don't know how big of a deal I find the creaky hinge. Maybe it can serve as an early warning system if someone's trying to get at my smokes. :-) I'll keep in mind the vegetable oil suggestion though if I get sick of the noise.

Thanks again! :-)
[Reply]
Up